(Overture)
Nevermore
Underworld
Serpent's Kiss
Without You
Dehumanized
Kiss of Fire
Of Sins and Shadows
To Hell and Back (or something surprising like Accolade II, some sort of mini-epic)
Evolution (The Grand Design)
Smoke and Mirrors
-----
Set the World on Fire
Of Sins and Shadows

Meh, I think Smoke and Sins are way too overplayed at this point. I never thought I'd ever say I want to hear Inferno (again,) but I honestly would. And what about Wicked or King of Terrors? Both are epic and aggressive and better than most of PL and Iconoclast. And what about Church of the Machine? I miss hearing that one live. Incredible.

I really want to hear them play Heretic, though. It's arguably one of the strongest songs from Iconoclast, and they've barely played it live.

why do you think they're going to play Of Sin and Shadows twice??

LOL. I just caught that as well. Although, I would probably prefer to hear Sins and Shadows twice in a set than hear Smoke and Mirrors or Dehumanized I think. I've never been a big fan of TiO, specifically Smoke and Mirrors.

I'd love to see them throw Egypt in the mix again. When I caught them live for the Paradise Lost tour they were alternating Egypt and Revelations if I remember correctly. Great tracks.

Off the new album I would love to hear Charon live, and to whomever said it could use an orchestrated section as an intro was absolutely correct. The metal intro it has now leading into the lyrics does not fit the tone/theme of the track in my opinion.

Meh, I think Smoke and Sins are way too overplayed at this point. I never thought I'd ever say I want to hear Inferno (again,) but I honestly would. And what about Wicked or King of Terrors? Both are epic and aggressive and better than most of PL and Iconoclast. And what about Church of the Machine? I miss hearing that one live. Incredible.

I really want to hear them play Heretic, though. It's arguably one of the strongest songs from Iconoclast, and they've barely played it live.

I don't think we'll hear Church of the Machine. Maybe Inferno, but Wicked and King of Terrors both have similar "new-ish" vibes. I think they'll just play something new instead.

why do you think they're going to play Of Sin and Shadows twice??

:D...because I forgot to re-read before posting. Replace the first S&S with Inferno, then.

I'd love to see them throw Egypt in the mix again. When I caught them live for the Paradise Lost tour they were alternating Egypt and Revelations if I remember correctly. Great tracks.

Off the new album I would love to hear Charon live, and to whomever said it could use an orchestrated section as an intro was absolutely correct. The metal intro it has now leading into the lyrics does not fit the tone/theme of the track in my opinion.

I could actually see them pulling out Egypt if they play Charon. Start with Charon and play straight through into the Egypt intro - it'd work pretty well live. Are they in the same key?

I forgot to mention something that EyeballKid brought up the other day - they're co-headlining with another band, and thus will probably only get 75-80 minutes of real set time (the rest will be taken up by banter). Does anyone know if it's just Symphony X and Overkill, or are they dragging an opening band along, too?

Right. It's absolutely great that he likes that stuff. More power to him. Just not sure why on earth anyone on an SX forum arguing for the new SX sound would like it.
This is my second Ultimate Metal account. I see you've got about 50 posts and joined in '11. I've contributed (or spammed) almost 18k times since '04, and I made a second account because I couldn't remember my original one from 2001. Before you get the wrong idea, I'm saying I AM a metalhead. I don't JUST listen to metal ONLY. Why would I frequent a metal forum, go to countless metal shows (some with people from this forum who have become my IRL friends) if that wasn't true? So I don't think you've got the whole picture you're judging me on.

Kenneth, the content of the links you posted makes me surprised you ever liked Symphony X, let alone that you frequent this forum. The only thing listenable on that entire list was Peter Gabriel.

Alien Mantis, I love you. Haha.
That's cool. You don't have to like that stuff. I think Kiss of Fire is a forgettably bad song.

THIS ^^^ :D

I found a few of his recommendations "listenable". ( In an elevator, while sleeping, at the doctors office, etc. )

To be fair, I don't mind his weird taste in music. It's perfectly okay.
But you can't compare Symphony X to ANY of that stuff.
Sy X is metal. Gotta keep it in the genre. Just sayin`.
You can keep it in the genre if that's your preference. I like to listen to all manner of music, regardless of genre. So when someone comes in here and starts gushing about how this album is the best thing they've ever listened to, and then goes on to say they've heard everything there is, I feel the strong desire to call bullshit.

Also, if you scroll up and re-read, I was not making recommendations. I was answering a question by giving a tiny sample of some of the stuff I think is interesting that is NOT like Symphony X, because there's a lot of different music out there for different moods and times.

Bluegrass Hamlet - WTF is this lame crap? Nothing original. Lame folk music. I hate this stuff.
Peter Gabriel - Seriously? You think I never heard this guy before? He's good, but not my style.
FSOL - Never heard of these guys before. Sounds like good background music when riding in an elevator.
The Imagined Village - More folk music. You just love boring folk music don't you. LoL
Minus The Bear - It's Pink Floyd meets the Eagles. ( Yawn )
Dark Tranquility - Nothing special. Heard this done 1,000 times by other bands. Hate the vocals.
Third Eye Blind - Disco Pop? Seriously? I'm sure this is popular down at the corner gay bar where you hang out.
Nightingale - Is this Whitesnake with a lounge singer? I'm confused. LoL
Zero Hour - I have an old ZH disc in my collection someplace. This song meanders around too much. Reminds me of TOOL.
Sting - Yeah... everyone knows Sting. Just like everyone knows KISS or the BeeGees. What's the point. ( Yawn )
Farewell - The artwork made me laugh. The rest of it i'll flush down the toilet. BORING.
Samuel Yirga - Oh yeah... because I am so much into Stevie Wonder, I'm really looking forward to more stuff that is like Stevie Wonder! NOT!
Anathema - What you call "perfection", I call "music to fall asleep to". More boring mindless drivel. Which seems to be your favorite style.
Amorphis - This is what would happen if Soundgarden went Gothic. LoL
Ghost Bath - What a hot mess. Horrible production. Song of the year you say? You like endless tremelo picking? This sucks horribly bad.
Agalloch - More boring gothic garbage.
The Tangent - Gee... what does this remind me of? Wait.... I know! YES! ( The Band ) Duh. ( David Bowie on vocals? ) LoL

Okay, I can't take anymore. You put me into PROG SNOB OVERLOAD.
Now I clearly see why you can complain about Symphony X. YOU AREN'T METAL!
You have to be a metalhead to appreciate Symphony X. Plain and simple.
Symphony X is METAL. METAL to the CORE. Symphony X is driving rhythms with infectious hooks and blistering solos.
ALL the music links you provided me were the exact OPPOSITE of METAL!
I'm into metal. I'll keep my Symphony X, and you can keep your atmospheric prog snob snooze-fest junk.
This post is impressive because I had no expectation that you'd actually listen to any of them, let alone all of them. Even if you hate this stuff, at least you know that it exists? I don't have any recommendations for you. You aren't open minded.

And ironically enough, the direction Symphony X's music has taken in the last 3 albums has been away from listeners like me and toward listeners like you.

I don't get why you are comparing our ultimate metal accounts. I see you've been here longer and posted more, but I don't see how that is relevant. I was referring to myself and Alien Mantis when I said "anyone..arguing for the new SX sound." Also, I never said you weren't a metalhead, nor did I say that non-metal fans can't appreciate SX. That was all Mantis. I also never ever meant to judge you. All I really said was that it was great you liked all that stuff (I wish I had that many musical interests!) and that the only thing I found listenable was Peter Gabriel (who I have known about for years). Your opinion on Kiss of Fire is perfectly fine with me. There are people out there who probably think worse of it, and I wasn't losing sleep over them. I also don't know why you specifically brought up your opinion of that song, though.

At the end of the day, I am glad you posted all those links. I listened to every single one of them, and I'd listen to pages and pages of them more if anyone, including you, posted more. I love recommendations. Maybe I'm too vocal about my dislike for recommendations when they don't jive with me, but hey, it is what it is.

I don't think it's fair to call someone not open minded who doesn't like your music, especially when that person was open minded enough to listen to every single one of your links. Lastly, I completely do not understand why you posted the last sentence that you did.

I don't think it's fair to call someone not open minded who doesn't like your music, especially when that person was open minded enough to listen to every single one of your links.

I agree. Well said! :D

I really don't like boring music that meanders around with no real purpose or direction.
If I want to listen to something that isn't "metal", I usually go for a movie soundtrack.
Lately, I have been listening to the "Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies" soundtrack quite a bit.
It's very good. I like all the Hobbit movie soundtracks.

This post is impressive because I had no expectation that you'd actually listen to any of them, let alone all of them. Even if you hate this stuff, at least you know that it exists? I don't have any recommendations for you. You aren't open minded.

Hey, I want to be fair. I will listen to your recommendations. I can't have an opinion about them, unless I listen to them.
And for the record: most of that stuff you recommended, I had heard before. If not the bands, then the "style" or genre for sure.
I do NOT like that stuff. Most of that stuff is pretty gay-sounding to me.

And ironically enough, the direction Symphony X's music has taken in the last 3 albums has been away from listeners like me and toward listeners like you.

Now THIS I can agree with.
It is clear Symphony X has been going in a heavier direction. I can understand it might disappoint a prog-nerd such as yourself.
I like the softer Symphony X stuff, mostly because I know they also do the harder stuff too.
But also because they do the softer stuff so well.
Candlelight Fantasia is one of my favorite Symphony X songs. That song is musical PERFECTION.

Right. It's absolutely great that he likes that stuff. More power to him. Just not sure why on earth anyone on an SX forum arguing for the new SX sound would like it. Just out of curiosity, what are your top 5 bands at the moment?
Also, which solos and choruses do you like the most on UW?

Well, he is certainly entitled to his opinion, and I respect that.

My top 5 bands. That's a tough one. SyX is #1 of course. #2 might be LOST HORIZON. That $hit is focused like a laser and set on KILL.
Singer is out-of-this-world awesome.

The rest of the bands are all battling it out for the #3 through #10 slots.
They change around, depending on album releases and time passed.

I used to love Nightwish, but not the newer stuff.
I really love Conception. Roy Khan at his best. Ostby slays on the guitar.
Hydrotoxin is up there, even though they only released one album in the 90's.
Lemur Voice is stellar. Amazing guitarplayer.
Rush is up there too. I've been a fan for years. Hemispheres through Counterparts being the best stuff.

Can you recommend me some of your favorite songs from these artists, maybe in a message?

Boo! Smoke and Mirrors is my favorite TiO song after Looking Glass, with Lady of the Snow in third.

Also, which solos and choruses do you like the most on UW?

Hard to say right now. I haven't totally digested the new album yet.
I believe I have my favorite tracks picked out, but not the individual parts yet.

CHARON is my favorite track. That one jumped-out immediately.
I love everything about this song, and there is nothing I don't like about it.
Musical perfection for me.

The rest of the album has it's shining moments of glory mixed throughout.
A few parts I would have done different here and there... but super strong as a total package.

Can you recommend me some of your favorite songs from these artists, maybe in a message?

If you haven't heard my #2 band... you can start HERE:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcZAj1MPpeo

Then listen to every song YouTube has to offer from this band.
They released two albums. Two albums of legendary greatness. They were on a mission.
And then..... they were gone. I cried.

The YouTube clips don't do it justice. The production is crystal pure on the cd's.

Can't do the whole pure power metal thing...Lost Horizon was a no go for me. All PM bands I've ever been recommended just have such cheesy, awful singers. The lyrics on the song you sent me were just completely bad in my opinion. It was like they didn't know basic grammar and usage. Riffs weren't bad at all though. :D

Holy crap, with the exception of the garage band production, Aghora was SWEET. I absolutely loved that song, and the guitarist actually knew...brace yourselves...some technique! Was slightly repetitive in the first half, but it was repeating things I liked hearing! At the end of the day though, I probably won't investigate simply because I can't listen to metal with female singers for very long. Yea, yea, call me sexist. Just a personal quirk of mine. On second thought, this may be an exception...maybe.

Not a big Nightwish guy. Never have been, probably never will be. Nor am I a Vanden Plas guy. That specific song certainly wasn't bad though, just not my taste.

Maybe our similarities end with SX, and that's ok!