Unheard Opeth Fragments

great thread!!! umm, i don't have any specific track times with me. the two that i'm going to mention are things i've made threads about before, but i think that they're worth mentioning again.

1. mike's vocals on the baying of the hounds are wicked. the way he says, "and roaming the forest" specifically the change in pitch on "est" ...it sounds, almost...cute. like he is a daddy monster telling his baby monster that he made a booboo.

2. the opening moving bar chord riff to april ethereal is quite epic. i have always enjoyed the song. but, one day, i noticed something about it that gave me instant chills. the melody of the minor third of each chord creates its own little atmosphere. for me, its like a musical illusion. i decided that i would try playing this song by only playing the notes on the low E and G string. then, i had a friend of mine play the minor 3rd on bass, instead of the tonic that is on the album. it brought out how i was listening to the song, but wasn't the same with the other notes. so now, every time i listen to that part, i try to zone out every note except for that minor third...and it completely changes the vibe of that section. its impossible not to hear the other voicings. but, when my main focus of the chords is on the minor 3rd instead of the tonic...its sweet. i pointed it out to a friend one time and he said it made him feel uncomfortable.

@theapostle
Ghost of Perditon - 4:20
Pay close attention to the drums. Most people hear the double bass between verses, but listen to the snare this time around. Right after Mikael sings "Waits to pull asssssunder," listen to how they change.

-fuck yah man. i love that part. it gives it like...a swing feel...but not.

Led Opeth said:
Baying Of The Hounds at around 6:57 the rhythm guitar under the solo is amazing...im sure alot of people have noticed it, but i think its worthy of pointing out...ill post some more in a little bit lol

i agree, i always catch myself listening to the rhythm instead of the solo in this part

mylovedenied said:
Deliverance: starting about 7:40 in, you can hear Mendez doing some cool slap bass stuff.

Except that's not slap. It's his strings hitting the fingerboard from aggressiveness when playing, trust me on that. Why would he slap on the album if he doesn't do it live? Besides that fact, Steve Harris (and a lot of other bassists) play very aggressive and get that "slap" tone. I get that tone on my fretless, even, too.

The only times he slaps on Deliverance (live) is for accenting on the open notes, like the "dun-dun-dun dun-dun" at 3:05 or so..he slaps on The Grand Conjuration as well. Other than that, I'm not sure.

mylovedenied said:
Deliverance: starting about 7:40 in, you can hear Mendez doing some cool slap bass stuff.

I play bass. Trust me, he's not slapping - he's just playing hard.

NicholasDWolfwood said:
Except that's not slap. It's his strings hitting the fingerboard from aggressiveness when playing, trust me on that. Why would he slap on the album if he doesn't do it live? Besides that fact, Steve Harris (and a lot of other bassists) play very aggressive and get that "slap" tone. I get that tone on my fretless, even, too.

The only times he slaps on Deliverance (live) is for accenting on the open notes, like the "dun-dun-dun dun-dun" at 3:05 or so..he slaps on The Grand Conjuration as well. Other than that, I'm not sure.

I thought I saw him doing the slap live? Whatever, it's still a damn cool bass line.

One part I would like to mention is Mendez' bass lines throughout the entire massive buildup/explosion during the ending parts of Blackwater Park... I don;t even play bass and I want that tone, lol :headbang:

Has Mendez moved to Ampeg now? I have a video from the European leg of this tour and he's using an Ampeg cab (probably an 8x10 or something), but when I saw them in Philly he was using Warwick cabs.

NicholasDWolfwood said:
Has Mendez moved to Ampeg now? I have a video from the European leg of this tour and he's using an Ampeg cab (probably an 8x10 or something), but when I saw them in Philly he was using Warwick cabs.
yea i saw him in philly (halloween) and NYC the other night...he used ampeg the other night...with either amp...the marcus miller bass has insane tone...with almost any amp infact lol

the part in "Ghost of Perdition" when he's singing the line "in this arm she falls" and the drum switches from the kind of slowish part to the fast tempo.

I thought it was cool.

Sean Casey said:
the part in "Ghost of Perdition" when he's singing the line "in this arm she falls" and the drum switches from the kind of slowish part to the fast tempo.

I thought it was cool.

thats cool too. we were just discussing when the drums switch to the slower beat.