Russell

__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
Unmoored – Indefinite Soul-Extension
code666 – code019 – 27th October 2003
By Russell Garwood

Swedish death metal collective Unmoored recently released their third full length through code666 records. Differing somewhat from many of their label-mates, the band’s music has both harsh and melodic death elements, with occasional keyboards, frequent solos and regular time changes. The vocals of Christian Älvestam are excellent, aggressive growls complement the unforgiving metallic sections, while his top-quality singing creates catchy choruses and unforgettable hooks in nearly every song. Rarely have I seen better use of clean vocals in a death album, with the singing used primarily on distorted, not quiet, sections. The lead guitars of Thomas Johansson (and rhythm of Christian) are also excellent. Melodic riffage contrasts occasional less melodic, brutal-death-orientated sections, while the high-speed solos are impressive. Acoustics are a nice addition, especially in the last song – a ballad called “Final State Part III”. The bass is often drowned beneath other instrumentation, but the drums are of a very high standard. Varied beats move between blasts and double bass roles, as well as slower crash-heavy sections, while the fills are fitting and well considered, and time changes prove no trouble. Well placed keyboards are another welcome addition, both subtle and effective.

Clean, well-balanced production, courtesy of T. Tagtgren (Abyss Studio – Dimmu, Marduk, Hypocrisy), completes a rounded and original album. “Indefinite Soul-Extension” shows accomplished musicianship, solid songwriting and is well worth checking out for fans of extreme music. Unmoored deserve much recognition, and hopefully (with the help of code666’s impressive and ever-growing reputation), they will get it.

No doubt one of the Top 3 releases of the year ... amazing record and a very underrated band ... but hopefully not for long.

I'm a bit underwhelmed by it. Not bad, not good. Hints at things to come though, their next one may be mind blowing.

One of the best metal albums I have heard in a long time. I hope the next album has a song or two more and a bit more singing. I also think this should be the singer's priority. Unmoored are destined to be kings

the band is planning to enter "Underground Studio" (where bands, such as Carnal Forge, Diabolical, Throneaeon, Corporation 187 and Terror 2000, have recorded, too name a few) at the end of 2004 to record the next opus