Unmoored first reviews

Oct 25, 2002
Italy
www.code666.net
Astro-zombie
Another Code 666 release and what a stormer this is. Unmoored appear to be at first glance just another Swedish death metal band. But this three piece are amazingly versatile and there are more folk influences here than you?d ever expect from the dark brooding cover art.
?Phase of Revulsion? is brilliant, harmonised vocal pervading a dark twisted demonic wasteland of growling vocals, chugging guitar and blistering drums. Christian Alvestam may have the most versatile voice in death metal and definitely brings this album to life.
Henrik Schonstrom?s drums are intense and pounding throughout, begging the question why haven?t his arms and legs fallen off yet? The guitar part is equally awesome with one of the most in your face sounds I?ve ever heard.
These guys must be awesome live and if they play the UK I?ll be there, wherever they are. As a relatively undiscovered act over here Unmoored are worthy of a much wider audience and I genuinely hope they fulfil their potential if Indefinite Soul Extension is anything to go by.

Voices from the darkside

UNMOORED
Indefinite Soul-Extension
(Code666)
46:00min
What Unmoored have in common with Dimmu Borgir is way beyond my imagination. Then I agree with the Edge Of Sanity touch and dare say this is the album Edge Of Sanity should have released after ?Unorthodox?. Yes, ?Indefinite Soul-Extension? feels old of age, but as those of you who drink wine knows, old doesn?t mean bad. Unmoored have their moments of Death Metal and with a careful use of keyboard here and there, these 40 (+6) minutes are off before you know it, which can be both positive and negative. The positive aspect of Unmoored is that they vary their music quite a lot within each song. Basically the growling rule, but in between they use normal vocals as well. Heh, a friend of mine wondered if Dan Swanö did the normal vocals. However, the negative aspect is that as a whole the album consists of various versions of the same track, with one exception. Why did you put the slow track at the end of the album? I mean, you couldn?t have realized the effect such a thing would give to the album as a whole. After 40 minutes of Death Metal I don?t want to leave the album behind with a feeling of?, well, melancholy or something. I mean, this is Death Metal and you don?t end a Death Metal album with some sort of ballad. So, when the album is finsihed I don?t understand shit? What do they want to tell us? Unmoored equal Death Metal? Nah, don?t think so. Which doesn?t mean they shouldn?t include 'Final State Part III (Posthumous Writings)', but I think they could safely place this as track four of five. Then again, don?t let my close-minded thoughts affect you in any sense. After all, if you?re smart you just use the memory-button, and arrange the album the way you?d like it to be and you?ll get a fine Death Metal album.

Roy Kristensen

from the might Lurch ;))

:

The new UNMOORED cd Indefinite Soul-Extension (just got the promo from code666) is a fucking masterpiece. I never heard these guys, but this disc is freaking brilliant.

I cannot describe the intensity of this band without making stupid comparisons, so I won't. I hear everything from Edge of Sanity, At the Gates, Nocturnus, Burzum, Morbid Angel.

Christian, the singer has the most versatile voice (natural sounding) that I have heard in a long time.

The best part is that while the music is complex it hits you instantly and is memorable ... it just makes me want to put it in the player over and over.

There is NOT one filler track on this disc, but the last track, FINAL STATE PART III (a ballad nonetheless) is worth the price of the disc alone.

Negura is still in my top spot for the year but this record is definetelly no.2 and a scorcher.

I cannot wait till you guys pick up on this ... will be out later next month!
Check www.code666.net/webstore for a sample track ...

www.metalmessage.de

UNMOORED

?Indefinite Soul-Extension?

(Code666) 10/10

Teufel noch mal, was für eine imposante Weiterentwicklung! Hatte ich ihre beiden Vorgängeralben noch als zwar schnell gespielte, jedoch völlig durchschnittliche Polter-Death Metal-Werke in Erinnerung, so haben diese Schwindel erregend gut gewordenen Schweden nun einen gehörigen kompositorischen Zacken zugelegt. Und zwar so, dass einem fast schwindelig wird. Was immer also weder ?Cimmerian? aus dem Jahr 1999, noch dessen 2000er Nachfolger ?Kingdoms Of Greed? bieten konnte ? ?Indefinite Soul-Extension? hat es. Und zwar faustdick. Ihre Pause hat dieser nun erstmals so richtig begeisternden Band ja so gut getan, sie scheinen lebendiger denn je zu sein. So wollte ich ihre Musik seit jeher haben und als hätten sie dies geahnt, brillieren Unmoored nun hier mit triumphaler Klasse. Immer wieder urplötzliche Gänsehaut und knisternde Schauer auslösende Melodik, deren epische Einprägsamkeit überaus eingängige Züge aufweist, durchzieht dieses dritte meisterliche Album von vorne bis hinten. Doch wer nun meint, das wiedergekehrte Power-Trio hätte an spielerischem Biss und Verlangen nach Härte verloren, ist vollkommen auf dem Holzweg. Wodurch ?Indefinite Soul-Extension? aber wiederum mit keinerlei Defizit an Abwechslungsreichtum gleichzusetzen ist, einer solch spannenden und dramatisch guten Wahnsinnsscheibe hat man sein Gehör lange nicht mehr geschenkt. Heroisch einfühlsame, aufwühlende Klargesangsparts sind auf diesem Drittwerk nämlich ebenso mit dabei wie haufenweise technische Riff- und Drum-Kunststücke. Unmoored brennen auf ihren acht neuen Stücken ein wahres Monumentalfeuerwerk an entfesselt orgiastischer Spielfreude und schier unbremsbarem Enthusiasmus für die gespielte Stilistik ab. Das hocherhabene und zeitlos schön dargebotene Gitarrensolo des sechsten Songs, ?Cinders Veil? muss man gehört haben, abartig genial. Selbiges gilt für Track Nr. sieben, ?Spit Forth From Failure?, dessen herrlich atmosphärisch wabernde Tastenarbeit von immensem Reiz ist ? um nur zwei Beispiele für die neuzeitlich haushoch überlegene Relevanz dieser Ausnahmeband zu nennen. Der weit auslaufende Funkenflug an mitreißendem Songmaterial ist von blendender Wirkung ? einige flogen gar bis vor die Tür des Abyss-Studios zu Altmeister Peter Tätgren. Der entstaubte nachfolgend erneut sein in letzter Zeit mit Spinnweben überzogenes Mischpult und schaltete wieder mit aller Begeisterung den Strom dort an. Begeisterung, die ich mit ihm vollauf teile. Und die Regler wurden solange gedreht, bis eine entsprechende Mörderproduktion im Kasten war. Ein überaus wertvolles Hammeralbum, welches bei richtiger Anwendung lebensverlängernd wirken kann.

Markus Eck

http://www.musik.terrorverlag.de/

Artist: UNMOORED
Title: Indefinite Soul-Extension
Homepage: UNMOORED
Label: CODE666

Und wieder versucht sich eine schwedische Death Metal Kapelle in den skandinavischen Haifisch-Gewässern freizuschwimmen, in denen es von Original und Klonen nur so wimmelt. Diesmal sind es UNMOORED, die einem breiteren Publikum bis dato sicher noch nicht so bekannt sind, auch wenn man nun schon das dritte Album unters Volk wirft. Seit 1993 sind sie aktiv, in wechselnden Besetzungen, lediglich Shouter Christian Älvestam bleibt eine Konstante. Die ersten beiden CDs veröffentlichte man beim kleinen Label Pulverised aus Singapur, ?Kingdom of Greed? konnte ich damals durch Zufall ergattern und zeigte schon das hohe spielerische Potenzial auf. Als die Zusammenarbeit endete, fiel man in ein mittelschweres kreatives Loch, man musste sich mit einer neuen Promo (schlicht ?Promo 2001? betitelt) wieder auf Labelsuche begeben. Code666 biss an und so taucht man 2003 mit dieser neuen Scheibe wieder auf, welche in klassischer Dreierbesetzung im Abyss-Studio aufgenommen wurde. Älvestam und Drummer Schönström agieren übrigens nebenbei auch bei SOLAR DAWN und INCAPACITY, die ja auch gerade debütierten.

Ohne Intro geht es gleich in die vollen, bereits der Opener ?Unspeakable Grief? zeigt die Marschrichtung auf. Eine Mischung aus typisch schwedischen und amerikanischen Riffs kombiniert mit der variablen Stimme Älvestams sorgt für Kurzweil. Neben den tiefen kehligen Grunts wurden auch viele cleane Gesangparts integriert, die vielleicht noch ein wenig ausdrucksstärker hätten ausfallen dürfen. Dafür entschädigen die erstklassigen Solis des erst 22 jährigen Johansson, der die Band kurz nach den Aufnahmen verließ, mittlerweile aber wieder ins musikalische Nest zurückkehrte. Tempiwechsel gibt es viele, es wird auch mal schnell geschreddert (besonders in den Stücken 5 und 6), zumeist hält man sich aber im Midtempogefüge auf und versucht dabei, anspruchsvoll und dennoch nachvollziehbar zu bleiben. ?Leave-taking? z.B. begeistert mit einem schönen Akustik-Part. Johan Åstrand und Mats Johansson ergänzen als Session-Musiker die Kompositionen mit Keys und Violine. Während die Violine nur einmal kurz am Ende eingesetzt wird, erklingen die Synthies sehr oft im Hintergrund, dezent und zur Flächendeckung.

UNMOORED haben mit diesem Album sicherlich das beste und facettenreichste Stück Musik ihrer Karriere eingespielt, wie weit sie damit kommen, wird sich zeigen, denn neben Können gehört heutzutage auch marketingtechnisches Geschick zum Erfolg. Zu den besseren Kapellen in ihrem Genre gehören sie allemal, lediglich DAS große Überflieger-Stück fehlt. Zumindest eine vernünftige Distribution ist nun gesichert und das haben sie sich nach 10 Jahren volle Höhen und Tiefen auch verdient!
TK

(27.09.2003)

Eisenzeit
Bei UNMOORED haben sich drei Schweden zusammengetan, die der Hörerschaft mit "Indefinite Soul_Extension" nun bereits ihr drittes Album vorstellen. Vielversprechend mag ja klingen, daß man bereits in der Vergangenheit sowohl mit Thomas Skogsberg und dem Sunlightstudio, als auch mit dem Abyss und Peter Tägtgren zusammenarbeitete. Die Musik des neuen Albums wird von dem Label als Swedish Extreme Metal bezeichnet, was ungefähr genauso aussagekräftig ist wie das Lesen aus dem Kaffesatz. Also, was erwartet uns bei "Indefinite Soul_Extension"? In erster Linie eine sehr moderne und abwechslungsreiche Scheibe, die nichts desto trotz auch an alten Strukturen festhält. "Phase of Revulsion" ist über weite Strecken ein Beispiel dafür. Die Musik ist typisch deathmetallastig, will heißen, der Gesang ist tief und rauh und der Drummer Henrik Schönström drückt die ganze Bande nach vorne. Doch bereits bei diesem Lied trumpft man mit Keyboard und modernem Riffing auf. Hinzu kommen vereinzelte "echte" Gesangsabschnitte von Christian Älvestam, die bei anderen Liedern zum Teil deutlich ausgebaut werden oder gar das ganze Lied andauern ("Final State Part III (Posthumous Writings)"- schon eine Heavy-Ballade !). Wer auf modernen Todmetall steht und zudem bereit ist, sich auf gesangliche Einlagen einzustellen, der kann den Kauf des Laserplastiks durchaus in Erwägung ziehen, mir persönlich ist das Album jedoch zu technisch und gewagt.

(Tinëath)

blooddawn
?Was ist das denn für?n Krach???? fuhr mich meine Freundin an, als ich die CD einlegte. ?Schwedischer Death Metal!!!? antwortete ich, doch da war mir noch nicht klar, dass UNMOORED eine weitaus größere Bandbreite abdecken als nur dieses Genre. Die Gruppe erinnert anfangs ein wenig an frühere IN FLAMES oder HYPOCRISY. Kein Wunder, denn der Produzent dieser Platte ist kein geringerer als Tommy Tägtgren, und die Aufnahmen stammen aus dem Abyss-Studio. Zwar etwas seltsam, dass die Schweden bei Code666 aus Italien unter Vertrag sind, aber das tut der Aggression der Musik noch lange keinen Abbruch. Später wird klar, dass das Trio (zwei Gitarristen, einer davon noch Sänger, und ein Drummer) deutlich mehr Einflüsse in der Musik verarbeitet.

Nun, hier ist also die dritte CD der Nordmänner, vollgepackt mit acht Tracks und einer Spielzeit von einer Dreiviertelstunde. Los geht?s mit der Speed-Granate ?Unspeakable Grief?, die sich in meinen Ohren nicht als etwas Besonderes ausgibt. Gut, ich bin nicht wirklich vom Fach, aber ? Ganz anders geht es dagegen schon mit ?Commit To The Fire? zur Sache. Der Song fängt ziemlich langsam an, um dann aber im Up-Tempo zu gipfeln. Hier erwartet den Hörer ein echtes Riff-Gewitter, mit einigen Wechseln zwischen Mid-Tempo und Up-Tempo. Geiler Song! Zur Überraschung kommt gegen Ende dieses atmosphärisch, ja zeitweise doomig wirkenden Songs sogar cleane Vocals zum Zuge, ein weiterer Pluspunkt in Sachen Innovativität. Aber keine Angst, zum Abschluss gibt es noch mal den death-typischen Gesang. Und so, wie ?Commit To The Fire? geendet hat, fängt ?Leave-Taking? an. Druckvolle Riffs gepaart mit aggressivem Gesang. Kurz später vermischen sich einige Blast-Beats mit doomigem, etwas an atmosphärischen Black Metal erinnerndem Keyboard. Sogar cleane Gitarren werden benutzt, wieder ebenso reiner Gesang. Dieser Part dauert zwar relativ lange, aber urplötzlich schwenkt der Sound wieder um in Death Metal mit ?den? Vocals, kreischenden Gitarren und schnellen Drums. Gegen Ende wird es wieder langsamer und einmal mehr doomig, so endet dieser Song. ?Phase Of Revulsion? beginnt wieder schnell mit einem etwas unorthodoxen Gitarren-Solo. Auch hier sind wieder einige Tempo-Wechsel zu erkennen, also in Sachen Songwriting haben die Jungs einiges drauf! Hier ist zum ersten Mal eine Art Wechselgesang zwischen cleanen und verzerrten Stimmen zu hören, und auch dieser Song ist aufgrund des Riffings und der nicht zu schnellen Drums ziemlich groovig. Jedoch wird die Melodie auch bei den Instrumenten nicht vernachlässigt, die Gitarre spielt oft unter den Gesangslinien sehr gelungene, begleitende Leads. Todesblei-typisches Shouting in den Strophen und der Refrain bilden einen gelungenen Umriss, der von den tollen Gitarren und dem klasse Drumming vollendet wird. Lied Nummer fünf ist wohl das härteste und extremste Stück auf der CD. ?Morndraper? geht knapp über 2 ½ Minuten und ist vollgepackt mit Blast-Beats, kreischenden Gitarren, tiefen growligen Vocals und schnellen Drums. Abwechselung hat dieser Song nicht zu bieten, dafür aber einen Tritt in die Fresse! ?Cinders Veil? fängt mit einem ruhigen Intro an, um aber nach ca. 20 Sekunden direkt mit der vollen Breitseite loszulegen. Hier sind deutliche Black Metal-Elemente auszumachen, sowohl vom Gitarrenspiel als auch von der Songstruktur her. Nach dem ersten ruhigeren Part wechselt der Song einmal mehr in die Midtempo-Schiene, um kurz später einige Spoken Parts zu enthalten und dann wieder auf das Gaspedal zu drücken. Vor dem sehr melodischen Solo-Teil wiederholt sich die Struktur noch einmal, um dann mit dem Ende des Solos auszufaden. Toller Song! ?Spit Forth From Failure? beginnt typisch schwedisch, in den Strophen begleitet das Keyboard dezent im Hintergrund, was sich deutlich zugunsten der Atmosphäre auswirkt. Dann folgt wieder ein mitreißender Midtempo-Part, ehe die Strophe danke des Keyboards wieder sehr doomig rüberkommt. Die sieben Minuten Spielzeit bieten viel Platz für Tempowechsel, und dieser Platzwird voll ausgenutzt. Black-, Death- und sogar einige thrashige Elemente geben sich die Klinke mehr oder weniger nahtlos in die Hand. Der Effekt, der gegen Ende über den kompletten Song gelegt wird, macht einiges her. Beim letzten Song klappt mir die Kinnlade erstmal auf die Tastatur. Ein akustisches Gitarren-Intro ? wer hätte das erwartet?? Zwar setzen kurz drauf die E-Gitarren ein, doch der Song ist und bleibt sowohl melodisch als auch untypisch für die CD. Als der cleane ruhige Gesang einsetzt, ist die Überraschung perfekt. Ein herrlicherer Song mit Gänshaut-Garantie. Anfangs dachte ich, das Intro sei nur die Ruhe vor dem Sturm, doch mit ?Final State Part III? haben sich UNMOORED zum einen das beste Stück bis zum Schluss aufgehoben und zum anderen die vier Punkte redlich verdient.

Einige Fans der harten Gangart werden vielleicht sagen, dass die Schweden die Kompromisslosigkeit vernachlässigen, doch UNMOORED haben ihren eigenen Stil, und das ist auch gut so! Statt wild draufloszuknüppeln, werden diverse stilistische Elemente, viele Tempowechsel und Überraschungsmomente verwendet, um den Hörer zu verblüffen."

4 / 5 Points

into obscurity
Unmoored - "Indefinite Soul-Extension"
(Code666 Records © 2003)

danowar:
How these Swedes have remained this obscure up until now is beyond me. If this full length serves to show what this band is capable of, they should soon be one of the more formidable competitors in the battle for the Swedish crown. Mixing the sounds of Swedish melodic metal with the progressive feel that Opeth have, Unmoored play a brutal and complex style of atmospheric death metal. The inclusion of clean vocals usually turns me off to a CD almost instantly, but here they are used tastefully and they actually add a dimension to "Indefinite Soul-Extension" when coupled with the more straightforward death metal vocals. I think this band really benefit from being able to not only make a clean switch from soft parts with heavy parts, but also having moments where both of those are in the picture at the same time. Production courtesy of Abyss Studios and Tommy Tagtren let all the layers of music and atmosphere peer through each other.
Unmoored only need the right push and they could blow up. "Indefinite Soul-Extension" is proof that Unmoored have the musical prowess and creative mind to take influence from popular styles of metal and put a unique spin on them.

metalstorm.ee

The usual Swedish Death Metal band? No.
With their third album Umoored show us how to play following a genre without being repetitive or copycats.
Obviously infuenced by the swedish melodic death (mainly Hypocrisy), Unmoored mix melody with a strong amount of brutality, with vocals ranging from the ?almost black? screaming to the classic growl but also some melodic (Opeth-flavoured) clean vocals lines.
Perfectly produced (Tagtgren is everywhere?I wonder: does he sleep sometimes?), and technically exemplary, the album sound is compact, powerful- but not too much crisp and boombastic, in order to keep the right harsh but dark atmosphere- and it ranges well from a good melodic death riffing to some heavy ?floridian? thrashy passages, even if the best moments are just when they reaserch more the melodic complexity and the time changing (Leave-Taking , Cinders Veil and Spit Forth The Failure are the highlights)- breaking the pounding Death rhythmics with slower clean vocals parts - rather than other episodes like the isolated Morndraper, when they try to follow a more brutal and heavy approach, that frankly is less original and catchy.
As a ?surprise? the album is closed by Final State Part III a pleasant semi-ballad, with clean vocals only, good ending for an album continously searching for the variation.
So, what about it? I don?t find anything wrong in this album, but I cannot say that is a masterpiece. It?s just a step under the perfection, I don?t know why, but that?s the feeling I have.
Anyway, my opinion on it grow better as much as I listen this album.
But, if you like this kind of death metal this album is more than recomended, nothing of incredibly innovative, but an excellent album in the overcrowded swedish death scene, an album that grasps somehting that others miss and a band that will surely be capable to impose itself it the phantheon of the Swedish Death.

But, if you like this kind of death metal this album is more than recomended, nothing of incredibly innovative, but an excellent album in the overcrowded swedish death scene, an album that grasps somehting that others miss and a band that will surely be capable to impose itself it the phantheon of the Swedish Death
Unmoored only need the right push and they could blow up.
I could not agree more with that last statement. I honestly think this band is the most "accessible" band you have and would appeal to great variety of people.

If there ever was a Code666 single released, Final State Part III should be the first one.

www.Harm.us
I must say that I had been waiting with much anticipation for Unmoored's third release, Indefinite Soul-Extension, to arrive. I thought Kingdoms of Greed was one of 2000's best kept secrets. Well, with Indefinite Soul-Extension, it is time for this secret to be disclosed to the public. Unmoored has definitely stepped up to the plate with this release and is looking to make the jump into the metal elite.

What's so good about Indefinite Soul-Extension you may ask? Well, for those new to Unmoored (shame on you by the way!), they play melodic death that makes more comparisons to Edge of Sanity and Hypocrisy than say, In Flames. The material is very ear-catching, but it has that brutal edge that many Swedish bands fail to capitalize on. Actually, I suppose you could label the band as a mix of Edge of Sanity, Hypocrisy, and Dimmu Borgir, but to leave it at that would do a grave injustice to the band.

If you have heard Kingdoms of Greed, what you will hear doesn't actually differ from that too much, except that it is much more "refined" and as lame as it sounds, it is more melodic and brutal at the same time. The melodic moments are given more power with Christian Alvestam's exceptionally good clean vocals. They have made a major step up from Kingdoms, and are very powerful and emotional. I think its safe to say, Christian has one of the best clean vox in the extreme metal scene, ranking up with Speed (Soilwork) and Mikael Akerfeldt (Opeth). Just listen to Final State Part III (the ballad we've seen continued since Unmoored's first release) and tell me his vocals aren't powerful. The brutal parts seem heavier and they've added some speed when necessary (the last minute of Unspeakable Grief has some very nice blasting). Christian's growls mesh the sound perfectly and further the heavy sound.

Though I thoroughly enjoyed this disc the first time, its definitely a "grower" as it just keeps getting better and better each time. I've always said since I heard Kingdoms of Greed that Unmoored is one of the most under-rated bands around, but with Indefinite Soul-Extension, it is clear that this band is about to hit the bigtime, and no one deserves it more. Very highly recommended!

Standout tracks: Unspeakable Grief, Commit to the Fire, Cinders Veil, Final State Part III

www.urkraft.tk

UNMOORED - INDEFINITE SOUL-EXTENSION 7.5/10

Unmoored is an up-and-coming Swedish act with lots of potential of becomeing a household name. Soundwise they are competing within the melodic death metal genre, an area in which Sweden has been a dominant force for many years with acts like In Flames, Dark Tranquillity and Soilwork. "Indefinite soul-extension" is the bands third release, and in my opinion the first of their albums that really have a chance to compete with the top names of the scene. The production is great, which is fully understandable because of the fact that it was recorded at famous Abyss studios. The sound feels massive and "thick", a great wall-of-sound similar to for example the last couple of Dimmu Borgir recordings. The song material is quite strong and even. Tracks like "Unspeakable grief" and "Phase of revulsion" have a certain underground hit potential. However I don't think it will render them a massive success such as for example In Flames, mainly due to the fact that they are slightly more aggressive and dark! Sometimes their blasting is in fact almost in Dimmu Borgir class! But in the majority of the songs they include surprisingly melodic chorus lines performed with clean vocals! The contrast between the clean melodic vocals and the otherwise aggressive growling is what gives this album it's feel of depth. Sometimes the arrangements are very complex, and sometimes they are more simple and straight forward. All of this, together with good variations in tempo, makes "Indefinite soul-extension" an album that can be enjoyed over a long period of time without getting bored of it! It will certainly haunt my cd player for quite some time! Unmoored is a band that definitely ought to "steal away" some attention from the more well known and established bands of this scene.

ablazine
Ce qui aurait pu n'être qu'un banal album de Death Metal suédois s'avère être un bijou, je m'explique...

Sur ses deux premiers efforts, UNMOORED s'était efforcé de rajeunir le Death Metal suédois de DISMEMBER et début ENTOMBED en lui insoufflant une nouvelle vigueur, faite de mélodies, de claviers et d'effets. Belle ébauche de ce qu'allait devenir le groupe...

En effet, avec "Indefinite Soul-Extension", UNMOORED sort de l'anonymat et ose défier les entendus.

Sur cette même base de Death Metal suédois mélodique et technique, le groupe a développé un spectre d'influences, multiples colorations d'une même noirceur. Ainsi une voix féminine casse les structures, tandis que des breaks à la EDGE OF SANITY (avec un timbre de voix claire assez proche de Dan Swanö) complètent les harmonies. Les claviers se font avantgardistes par moments, pour mieux intéresser l'auditeur et lui laisser une impression complexe d'appréciation injustifiée.

Bel effort donc, à découvrir...

lordsofmetal.nl
Unmoored - Indefinite Soul-Extension
Code 666

Wilf: What is the definition of the Swedish sound? This somewhat vague question came to mind when I was listening to ?Indefinite Soul-Extension? of the Swedish trio called Unmoored. This being their third album on which they seamlessly combine various metalgenres to form a firmly forged whole; melodic death with progressive heavy influences. The alloy never shows any defects or weaknesses and keeps up the pace. The music is dynamic, varied and never collapses.

The recording took place in the Abyss studio. Tommy Tägtgren recorded and produced the disc. He also produced their second album ?Kingdoms Of Greed? so the production has no serious flaws. The only minor thing is that the cymbals tend to sound very sharp from time to time. In spite of lacking a bass guitar the music sounds quite bombastic thanks to the use of keyboard parts that thicken the sound in the background. This effect is most apparent on the parts where there are clean vocals.

Despite the fact that the band has had a rumbly past when it comes to their line-up it sounds like they have played together for years. This album can do a great deal for Unmoored. Singer/guitarist Christian Älvestam will have to keep this a firm line-up though. The album sure is worth it.

Rating: 85/100

Violent solutions:
Les albums qui explosent leur starting-block dès la première seconde sans mouvement introductif sont rares, et quand on tombe sur l?un deux on peut être certain que le groupe en question a la bave aux lèvres et crève d?envie de prouver quelque chose. Unmoored n?échappent pas à cette règle. Après près de dix années passées à traîner ses guêtres de problème de line-up en problème de label - avec à la clé deux albums confidentiels parus sur une boîte de Singapour (Pulverized Records) - on peut aisément comprendre que le trio suédois soit d?humeur à passer ses nerfs sur tout ce qui bouge. Alors quand Code666, le label qui aime bien signer des bons groupes (rigolez pas, c?est pas le cas de tout le monde apparemment?), leur fournit les armes de la vengeance, Unmoored sautent sur l?occasion et balancent toute la sauce dans les gencives d?une scène avachie dans ses petites coutumes. Evoquons donc cette fameuse entame exterminatrice : « Unspeakable Grief » c?est d?abord un fantastique riff carré et hyperactif typique de l?école At the Gates, qui taille sa route sur un brasier de blasts claquant dru. Rapidement survient un roulement rageur qui ouvre sur une dépression du rythme et un decrescendo de synthé simple mais très bien senti, surtout pour ce qui est de sa sonorité spectrale qui laisse flotter un parfum de mystère. Puis la rythmique de départ reprend la main tandis que les percussions se sont espacées mais alourdies. Le chant ample et guttural parachève idéalement un arsenal qu?on devine à raison capable de destructions massives. Une poignée de mesures plus loin, lorsque l?on commence à croire qu?on va entrer dans le « ventre mou » du morceau, le vocaliste Christian Älvestam sort de sa manche un atout insoupçonné qui s?avérera ô combien décisif à maintes reprises : un chant clair époustouflant, bien calé dans l?aspiration d?un Akerfeldt, travaillé juste ce qu?il faut à l?effet pour sublimer et non pas modérer l?élan belliqueux de la musique. A peine plus de 1?30 de l?album ont été dévoilées et déjà Unmoored ont introduit la pleine mesure de ce qui constitue leur surpuissant potentiel de feu. Le Abyss Studio a offert sur un plateau une production en or massif que le groupe a parfaitement su convertir à ses besoins, entre autres celui de s?affirmer comme l?antithèse d?un clone de ses illustres prédecesseurs dans l?antre prisé de la famille Tägtgren - piège dans lequel nombre de groupes sont tombés avant lui. Unmoored pratiquent un death metal suédois avec un dosage de brutalité pure et de subtilité mélodique rarement vu. Ils ne donnent jamais dans la demi-mesure et s?ils ont décrété qu?un passage doit être violent, alors il le sera sans aucune retenue. A l?opposé, les éléments mélodiques tels que les solos et les claviers sont traités avec un soin du détail qui fait pleinement honneur aux compétences individuelles des musiciens, et s'incorporent admirablement dans la dynamique jusqu?à causer des vagues de chair de poule intarissables, même avec l?habitude. Si le niveau global de l?album ne connaît aucun moment de faiblesse manifeste, on note que les prouesses les plus ahurissantes sont intelligemment dispensées de façon régulière. Ainsi aucune routine ne s?installe et l?on est tenu en haleine par le pilonnage intensif mâtiné d?emprise technique d?Unmoored jusqu?au prochain des abondants highlights épiques. A la fin de toutes choses, on prend doucement congé de cet album coup de poing avec « Final State Part III », une belle semi-ballade qui fait office de repos du guerrier. Que vouloir de plus, sinon la confirmation prochaine que le groupe est capable de capitaliser sur ce succès sans rien perdre de son énérgie, et en accroissant si possible encore la ration de brio et d?idées lumineuses. Soyons réalistes : Unmoored peuvent et doivent tout casser dans les prochains mois/années. Le danger pour eux serait de se retrouver bien malgré eux enlisés dans le jeu des comparaisons hâtives et de la question « pourquoi aurais-je besoin d?un nouveau Edge of Sanity ou d?un nouveau early-Soilwork ? » que le fan bienveillant mais fauché risque de se poser. Alors qu?à y regarder à plusieurs fois, éclate le constat irréfutable : Unmoored ont quelque chose à proposer en sus des groupes précités et de la plupart de leurs congénères de cette scène désormais dévaluée par les stéréotypes. Car outre leur performance musicale au-delà de tout reproche, Unmoored possèdent ce petit plus bien à eux, ce plus qui rend leur personnalité inviolable et confère à « Indefinite Soul-Extension » l?étoffe des albums clé de voûte à adopter sans autre formalité.
http://www.unmoored.com

www.heavy-metal.de

Indefinite Soul Extension
Harte Kante

Alle guten Dinge sind drei? und hier ist es, das dritte Werk dieser Band. Die beiden Voralben kenne ich leider nicht, bemühe mich aber darum, sie noch zu ergattern, um Dir davon zu berichten, denn:

- sind beide Alben genau so fett wie dieses hier, dann siehst du hier die Band 2003
- 1-2 Songs werde ich in meiner nächsten Radiosendung spielen
- meine Begeisterung findet kaum noch Halt

An Bandinfos liegt mir gar nichts vor, ebenso nichts über Texte etc., deshalb gibt es bandtechnisch nichts von mir zu berichten. Das kann aber nachgeholt werden. Schaue doch mal auf die Website www.code666.net
Da wird ausreichend über UNMOORED geschrieben.

Kommen wir aber zurück zum Thema. Dieses Album ist mit 8 genialen Songs bestückt. Wenn ich mal eine Schublade öffnen darf? der Style ist eine total geniale Mixtur aus Death- und Blackmetal mit garstigem und klaren Gesang. Der Sänger also würde in mehrere Bandsparten passen, denn seine Vox sind einmal sehr präsent und zweitens sehr flexibel im Spektrum des Könnens.

Die Gitarren sind schnell- und hartriffig, meist elektrisch ? manchmal akustisch. Und endlich mal ein Todeskeyboard, das nicht alles mit Synthisound benetzt und damit aufdringlich wäre. Die Keys untermalen und hinterlegen den Sound mit angenehmen Sphären und Farben. Der Drummer schießt feurige Salven, hämmert schnell und präzise, und der Bass ist einfach galoppierend.

Was gibt es da noch zu sagen? Ich versuche mal ein Interview zu erhaschen, um Dir die Band etwas vorzustellen und näher zu bringen.

Appetit? Jaaaaaaa.

www.noiseweb.fr

Unmoored
Indefinite Soul-Extension (2003)
genre : death suédois magistral
9,75/10
Code 666

En 1999, Christian Ävelstam accouchait de sa première oeuvre : Cimmerian. Un premier album, né sous l'étoile d'un thrash légèrement death, qui ne prévoyait pas un avenir rayonnant à ce cerveau émergeant dans cette nouvelle vague suédoise. C'était sans compter la créativité bouillonnante de ce compositeur qui moins de quatre mois suivant la sortie de son premier album, entra à nouveau en studio pour y enregistrer la suite. Changement direct d'orientation, Kingdoms Of Greed plaçait Unmoored sur une voie plus sombre. 8 morceaux de death suédois typique, auxquels vinrent se greffer un clavier dark et une voix agressive limite black. Vint alors le temps pour Christian de s'émanciper avec d'autres groupes et de nous offrir les excellents albums de Solar Dawn et Incapacity. Aujourd'hui, ce génie nous offre son oeuvre la plus aboutie, l'album qui place Unmoored comme un groupe inévitable de la scène suédoise. Indefinite Soul-Extension forme à lui seul l'aboutissement d'une communion parfaite entre mélodie et violence musicale. Suite logique de Kingdoms Of Greed, le death développé sur cet album est techniquement sans faille, puissant et sauvage il s'oppose à un mur de mélodies élaborées, elles mêmes renforcées par des nappes de clavier donnant un fort charisme aux compositions. Le chant se veut désormais plus death, et les voix claires beaucoup mieux maîtrisées. Les morceaux sont également plus longs et extrêmement peaufinés. Le tout forge un album intense, dynamique, magistral, proche de la perfection auquel passer à côté relève de l'inconscience !

Fab'