Unsatisfied by sm57 on guitar cab

::XeS::

Mar 30, 2005
Italy
www.myspace.com
I feel a little unsatisfied by my sm57.
It works often very well, but I've become a little bored about its typical sound, very edgy and focused, expecially with v30 speakers.
Actually I'm looking to get a more organic sound and I'm searching a mic to pair with my 57.
An example of "more organic sound" I like is this:

Which kind of mic could give me a smooth,non-muddy and open sound at the same time? :D I'm thinking about some kind of condenser mic...seems they are the more suitable kind of mics for what I'm searching.
I was also thinking about sennheiser e906 or 609 but I don't think they are way different than an sm57, or at least, they aren't what I'm searching...

Last edited by a moderator:
Cascade Fathead II ... i'm getting this baby very soon! It's the shiznit on guitars!

E906 is quite a bit more mid heavy than the 57, have used it with the hi-boost on a Marshall cab with good results before. It also blends really nice with a 57.

I also really like the AT4040/4050.

Sennheiser MD421.

This mic works great with V30. Remember LP at 10khz.

It sounds very different from an 57. Less nasal, more deeper...

I feel a little unsatisfied by my sm57.
It works often very well, but I've become a little bored about its typical sound, very edgy and focused, expecially with v30 speakers.
Actually I'm looking to get a more organic sound and I'm searching a mic to pair with my 57.
An example of "more organic sound" I like is this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFysuZC6Q5k

Which kind of mic could give me a smooth,non-muddy and open sound at the same time? :D I'm thinking about some kind of condenser mic...seems they are the more suitable kind of mics for what I'm searching.
I was also thinking about sennheiser e906 or 609 but I don't think they are way different than an sm57, or at least, they aren't what I'm searching...

i swear to god you are the only person who lives tue madsen more then i do, BUT FUCK YES DO WANT MADSEN TONE

Heil PR30

I've never recorded one, but a sound guy used one on my XXX a couple of times and it's the best live sound I've ever had. :headbang:

As mentioned above, for a good all purpose mic, you can't go wrong with the 421.

i swear to god you are the only person who lives tue madsen more then i do, BUT FUCK YES DO WANT MADSEN TONE

Ahahah...I like several producer, but I love some aspect of Tue's works...expecially guitar sound and drums sound.

Thank you all for the answers.
MD421 is a good mic, but often I found it very close to the sm57 sound...don't know why.

If sm57 and MD421 aren't working for you...then i think that you have a problem elsewhere (amp,cab,...)

i´m using an electrovoice re20. never got very usable results with the at 4050.
audix i-5 may also be an option although i never tried it.

Never heard about these Heil PR30 but they seems very appreciated...anyone has some sample of them on metal guitars?
I'm looking also on some ADK mics (expecially the s-51), they was used on several metal album, but I can't find some decent samples to check them.