Update on BARFEST

BARfest

Sep 9, 2003
Visit site
Hey there--

I have been out of touch big time for the past few months due to my heavy travel schedule for work, so I wanted to update everyone on what is going on behind the scenes. I am currently looking at all options for the festival for next year--talking to headliners, looking at venue selections etc., etc.,
Im going to try to keep the festival at the same time-- it is before the European festival scene, and the summer tours, so it really works out well for most of the bands.

There are a number of different possibilities on the table right now, so bear with us while we get this together.. My chief problem right now is how to balance the financial issues. As many of you are aware, this is a VERY expensive festival to put together because of San Francisco costs, travel costs, band costs etc., The one thing that I ask of you is that if you have a great desire for a specific band, and the ability to contribute financially to make this happen, please let me know immediately.. Also-- if you have any desire to help in any other way on the festival and have experience that you would deem relevant to the show- please let me know!

I am completely overwhelmed that we were able to create a superb experience for both the bands and the fans a few months ago. I intend to do this over again and keep the flame alive in San Francisco for our kind of music. We might not have the huge fan base of other cities in the US, but I believe that we have the greatest supporters of people who enjoy the fest, and also the best place in the world to visit for the bands and the fans who come from out of town to visit!

All the best

David

Rock On!!! I love me a good update. I very much look forward to future news. Last years fest was too AWESOME!!!!! I very much look forward to being involved and helping out in any way possible once again. Hopefully some "kickass" folks will step up and help Dave with the financials. Here's to Beerfest......doh.....i mean Barfest 2008. :kickass::kickass::kickass:

Thanks for the update Dave! And thanks again for creating such a superb festival experience that I would've attended whether I was playing or not. The fact that I had the honor of sharing the stage with so many great acts - some of which are in my favorites list - was chocolate icing on the cake. Thanks again for that experience too!

With that said, I do plan on making the pilgrimage to one of my favorite cities to attend the 2008 installment of BAR Fest.

Thanks for the update, Dave. The Sacramento contingency (all 3 of us) will definitely be at BARfest 2008. If you have an all ages show, my (then) 13 year old twins will be there with us (they were really bummed about not being able to go to the first show). As with last year, we will be more than happy and honored to do the cooking and anything else you need that we can do. Unfortunately, other than the cooking, we are an untalented bunch.

I assume that we will see you at Progpower in a mere 2.5 weeks.

Thanks for the update, Dave. The Sacramento contingency (all 3 of us) will definitely be at BARfest 2008. If you have an all ages show, my (then) 13 year old twins will be there with us (they were really bummed about not being able to go to the first show). As with last year, we will be more than happy and honored to do the cooking and anything else you need that we can do. Unfortunately, other than the cooking, we are an untalented bunch.

I assume that we will see you at Progpower in a mere 2.5 weeks.

Hey man,

Don't put down your cooking! You guys worked hard and kicked ass! Thanks for doing that. Not only was the food good, but it was pretty coll hanging out back there. Plus, watching Jasun practicing for the burger eating contest was priceless! :lol: :lol: OK, so maybe that was an exaggeration.

I have heard rumors that seeing Dave is a distinct possiblity! Hope so! I will defintely be there - so I will see you guys there!

Dave;

Why not move the festival to Oakland or San Jose? They are both considered the Bay Area, and it might actually be cheaper than the stratospheric costs of having it in San Fran.

Peace,
Ray C.

Dave;

Why not move the festival to Oakland or San Jose? They are both considered the Bay Area, and it might actually be cheaper than the stratospheric costs of having it in San Fran.

Peace,
Ray C.

While this may be a good idea for those who live close enough to drive to the shows and close enough to visit San Fran. often......I think he is counting on alot of people making vacations out of this trip in the future. And nobody i know is gonna take a trip to Oakland (nor should they)for their vacation. The San Francisco area is beautiful and i think that it is a big draw on top of the great fest. Just my opinion of course. :cool:

While this may be a good idea for those who live close enough to drive to the shows and close enough to visit San Fran. often......I think he is counting on alot of people making vacations out of this trip in the future. And nobody i know is gonna take a trip to Oakland (nor should they)for their vacation. The San Francisco area is beautiful and i think that it is a big draw on top of the great fest. Just my opinion of course. :cool:
Rob,

You hit it right on, Rob! I've lived on the east coast all my life and SF is one of my favorite cities! I'd love to move out to NorCal in the next 10 years too!

Besides, it cost me less to fly to SF for BAR Fest then it did to drive to ATL for PP and we drove a Prius averaging 50MPG! I'm 730 miles from ATL. Keep in mind that gas is cheaper in the south (espcially South Carolina - $2.51). It cost us less than $80 round trip! Hotels in SF were cheaper than ATL also.

I also agree about Oakland. :lol:

Gotta keep it in the city! San Jose is pretty cool, Oakland is definitely out, but there's no place like San Francisco! What a city... So much to see and do, people really should come for a couple of extra days and do it up right...

Tankful of gasoline for the round trip to The City: $47.

Tickets to the two day festival: $85.

Pizza with corn: $11.

Encountering assless chaps clad gentlemen on sidewalk whilst searching for the pre-show fan meet-up: Priceless.

(OK, I take liberties: the last item didn't happen at BAR Fest - but it DID happen before the Symphony X show in July!)