Used bass for 250-350 USD; recommendations?

JonWormwood

Jun 16, 2007
Jax, Fl
Bassist has some extra cash.

A few req's-

Used, 5 string, active PU's, and fast action.

He really likes ibanez and shecter but doesn't care as long as it isn't eye cancer.

Used for all kinds of metal. Just a good sounding bass

Sorry for the thread jack, but this is such a stupid question I don't feel it deserves it's own thread. If the tuning for the guitars is Drop C then is it a better idea to use a 5 string bass or a 4. Again, sorry for the hi-jack.

ibanez SR500 or SR505
fender MIM jazz

those are 2 that i've been scoping that can pretty well be had for $300-350

If you can find one, a 90s Fernandes Jazz Bass clone. Made in Japan, amazing basses, they rival any Fender. I got mine for $140 used, best deal ever.

Do pickup configurations matter for metal? Single vs. hum vs split?

I dig the sound of single coils in a Fender Jazz bass, and I dig the sound of humbuckers in a Music Man Stringray. The most important thing is that the pickups are well matched for the instrument.

I personally love the sound of a bass that has some natural grind to it, such as a Fender Jazz or a Rickenbacker.

I dig the sound of single coils in a Fender Jazz bass, and I dig the sound of humbuckers in a Music Man Stringray. The most important thing is that the pickups are well matched for the instrument.

I personally love the sound of a bass that has some natural grind to it, such as a Fender Jazz or a Rickenbacker.

I guess the best bet would be to just go to a guitar center and just see what we dig. We've always used a PJ setup, commonly found in cheaper basses I suppose.