Using a second computer for processing power

Genius Gone Insane

http://www.¯\(°_o)/¯.com
Aug 19, 2003
San Francisco Bay Area
www. ̄\(°_o)
Hey, I'm trying to speed up my computer because the drum editing resizing is just taking way too long. Is there a way to link my 2nd computer to my music production computer so that I can have a second processor helping with the tasks?

Any other suggestions?

I think so, like to make one computer process a VSTi and send the results on real time to the host. Actually I never use it because I own an Intel Core2Quadro processor that is probably what I would recommend you to do. I know that sounds douche to say "just get a better CPU" but I really think it´s the best option : /

I think so, like to make one computer process a VSTi and send the results on real time to the host. Actually I never use it because I own an Intel Core2Quadro processor that is probably what I would recommend you to do. I know that sounds douche to say "just get a better CPU" but I really think it´s the best option : /

Dude my computer is so old I'm not sure I can even upgrade the processor. Fucken thing runs great, save for a crash about a month ago. I dunno, it'll probably save me an hour of drum editing time. I just got to do some real tight edits on a track, we decided to speed up the song so it's taking forever to process. Thanks anyway.

I would be interested in hearing how this can be done as well. There are a lot of free plugs that are PC-only that rock that I would like to be able to use. I have a Dell XPS downstairs that never gets used for anything more than surfing the net, and it's a P4 3.4gHz and 2GB RAM! Maybe there is a way to get this going using ethernet connections....?

~006

I would be interested in hearing how this can be done as well. There are a lot of free plugs that are PC-only that rock that I would like to be able to use. I have a Dell XPS downstairs that never gets used for anything more than surfing the net, and it's a P4 3.4gHz and 2GB RAM! Maybe there is a way to get this going using ethernet connections....?

~006

You can do it, but you need a seperate soundcard with SPDIF, IIRC.

There's a possibility to run one task on more than one machine, but (what I know) only on Linux based systems. It's called Beowulf. For your needs Linux is obviously useless.

(first post :)
Cheers!

Logic Pro 8 supports this. Cubase/Nuendo's implementation is more old-school, in that it is audio based. Logic does full-on CPU clustering from what I understand.

In any case, I prefer Cubase massively as an app. Perhaps it's time to build a new machine with NewEgg, money permitting. Bouncing tracks gets old after a while...

You can do it, but you need a seperate soundcard with SPDIF, IIRC.

So it would just be two channels that I could utilize?

I'm more looking of a way to send something like 8 or even 16 channels back and forth. Maybe ADAT or if possible an ethernet based setup would be preferred. Essentially using the other computer for "outboard" processing. Having the option to send out 8 channels (mono, or 4 stereo pairs) to the other comp with whatever plugs running in Cubase and then back to the G5 also running Cubase, just like using send/return for an outboard comp or something.

There has to be a way...

~006

I have looked into this as well. FXTeleport seemed to be the best option. Especially for being able to run more VST's. The latency is pretty high (DAW will compensate) and it is pretty network intensive. Oh and it doesn't forward the interface. So you will have to use Remote Desktop, or something like that. For your task I don't think it will help.

Even if the DAW supports multi-hosts, it is hard to say if that particular operation is even multi-threaded to be able to utilize it. Same would go for a multi-CPU system.

Drum editing resizing, my guess would be CPU, RAM, and HD intensive. I would think it could be threaded, but that would depend on the algorithm and the programmers.

Back to FXTeleport, in the end, with the cost of the software and the prices of hardware these days, I decided to just build a new machine. I built a pretty awesome machine (AMD Quad Core, 4 gigs RAM) for $500 and re-used the drives, case, and OS of my old one. Just the other day I built a pretty awesome machine for $565 with everything (AMD Dual core 6000+, 4 gigs of RAM, 500GB HD). With a few tweaks it would be perfectly suitable for recording.

+1

With under $1000 you can build a MONSTER.

Forget $1000
You can build a computer that'll run Crysis on the highest settings for just over 500, and I'd dare to say that game's even more system intensive than a complex mix in Cubase/Nuendo.

Intel Q6600, Radeon 4850, 4GB 800Mhz RAM will make mincemeat of anything it tries to run.
It'd be like Muhammed Ali vs Ghandi, srsly.

Logic and Reaper have support for this built-in, and it's pretty seamless with both. Cubase/Nuendo's VST System Link is pretty involved and hairy, and I wouldn't recommend it. There's also Wormhole, which is now an open source project.

Forget $1000
You can build a computer that'll run Crysis on the highest settings for just over 500, and I'd dare to say that game's even more system intensive than a complex mix in Cubase/Nuendo.

Intel Q6600, Radeon 4850, 4GB 800Mhz RAM will make mincemeat of anything it tries to run.
It'd be like Muhammed Ali vs Ghandi, srsly.

DUDE, HCAF sig alert, those colors GAAAHHH o_O Especially that crap about mids, god, that's one thing that always pissed me off about that place, those "president of teh b00sted midz club roflcopter lollercoaster!!!!!!!" signatures, oy...