UT2k4 - how to get respect regardless of skill

SculptedCold

-scented manbeef-
May 9, 2002
Edinburgh, Scotland
Okie dokie guys! Time for composition of the =UM= clan's 'do' and 'do not' list! Because we are foremost a community based clan, and accept with open arms members of UM regardless of skill, the face we must present to the rest of the UT2k4 online community must reflect that.

Basically, i'd like to turn this thread into a general ideas/gripes forum where we should post behaviour that should be acceptable, encouraged....unacceptable and discouraged. If most of us run around acting like arrogant eedjits (which i'm sure none of us do anyway) and don't happen to have the l337 skills to back it up, the clan as a whole is going to look stupid. Indeed, even if we're l337, being arrogant about it doesn't gain much community respect. Let's face it; what's the point of a clan if we're not wishing to be a recognised group of a larger community? So, from my experiences online, here's a couple pointers I think we should all bear in mind while playing. All =UM= and potential =UM= peeps please comment and leave your own opinions, and maybe we can form an agenda-type list/guide to put on the clan webbie (if t4nith would be so kind :D ).

-typekilling. Whenever I play online and i'm away in a corner typing (as I often do =), there's not much that makes me lose respect for a player quicker than if they come along and kill me. I know this happens A LOT, but the real point is, that when someone comes along, sees me idle with my model's hand stuck in my ear, AND MOVES AWAY, I instantly respect that person. People who deliberately refrain from attacking defenceless players, whether skilled or not, show others that they have some sense of honour, and it lets people know that you're a considerate and friendly player. Sometimes you jump round a corner (whatever), see someone and snap off a killing shot before you can help yourself and it can turn out to be a typekill. In that case it's cool to let people know it wasn't deliberate and type something quick like 'soz-typekill'. I don't know how bothered other people are about deliberate typekilling, but it just suggests to me someone more anxious about looking good on the scoreboard and winning than someone concerned about community. Have mercy on the person who's typing, and if they notice, they'll respect you guaranteed. I'd rather have that respect than one extra frag in my score. Think about it. ;o)

Similar cases- lag/freeze killing, pre-meditated spawn killing.

Post your own community-minded behaviour-traits, and leave comments!!

Always check to see if other teammembers are around that want a ride when you hop in a vehicle! I hate when someone jumps in a Hellbender and just races off leaving everyone behind. Even if you get in a Manta and see someone who could use a ride, wait a second to see if they hop on. Manta surfing is awesome.

I'll wait about 3-5 seconds ready to low hover on a manta if I see someone else getting ready to jump on.... most of the time. Usually, once they see me take it, they turn to find another vehicle, then I'm gone.

Generally, if you're killed typing, that's too bad... I'm gonna go after you. All you need to do is press "T" for talk, and your message will get out.

I'll change my behavior if warranted, but so far, I don't get the same consideration, and it's not a "gentlmanly" game.

Personally, I think we should be ruthless butchers... Ever seen Sunlapse play? We were trading back and forth kills earlier... hehe... was a good game.

type correctly, and don't use "1337 5p3\<"
don't pretend to be something. even if you know what you're doing just have fun and let other's have fun. be a good sport in general. don't be an asshole or dumbass.

Don't enable auto taunts. I took Sculpted's advice (assigning certain taunts to keys) and now whenever someone taunts me, I can easily call them a whore or a loser. Less annoying and more satisfying that way. :D

It's fairly obvious but when someone else is charging a nobe, link gun them and it doubles the speed or something. Makes us seem like nice chaps too. And helps you to win :p

On a side note check out the stats for the clan [STD] :lol:

It doubles the speed for every one you add, and in 2004 it has a handy icon to tell you how many other people are linking with you. Try standing on a manta's "wings" as it's going, and fire your link gun at it - it doubles the power of its fire too :)