v-amp pro

Sinister Mephisto said:
Most people use the metal expansion. Infact, I think most people use the "criminal" model.
yeah, i have seen a lot about that model on this board. I just don't want to buy the extra two expansions if they aren't used much. I'm cheap! Guess its because i am a college student :Smug:

BlackestEyes said:
yeah, i have seen a lot about that model on this board. I just don't want to buy the extra two expansions if they aren't used much. I'm cheap! Guess its because i am a college student :Smug:

I just bought all three yesterday...so far I haven't had much use for the classic ones. They sound good, but I don't really think I'll ever need them for anything that can't be achieved with the defaults. Some things in the fx pack are nice, though, which is the problem...like 'tube drive' seems better than the screamer, and 'boost +eq' is REALLY helpful for getting decent metal tones. I'll probably still be conflicted when the trial period comes close to its end...:( I wish I was rich so I could just spend the extra 50 and be done with it and not worry about having wasted my money.

:)
VincentVegas said:
Well this is definitely not the worst guitar tone I have heard but not quite a selling point either. I have to believe the v-amp's can be dialed to achieve somewhat of a decent tone? Not a lot of samples out there to hear though. Wouldn't mind hearing some clean. Fucking price range is so damn favorable and I know without a doubt the v-amp can crush my current ampeg (vh-140c) cleans but still hesitant on the crunch. Another selling point is the spdif connection which would free another channel up on the firepod. Anything comparable in this price range that will bring the pain?

i've heard other people get better tones from them, even so i wouldn't use it as my main tone

i bought it for late night headphone jamming, and laying down scratch ideas when i'm here at home...both of which it works great for

if i really want some good high gain tones, i've got real amps for that :)

Sinister Mephisto said:
Man... if you're in college shouldn't you be saving your money for Ramen Noodles?

:p

lol

wankerness said:
I just bought all three yesterday...so far I haven't had much use for the classic ones. They sound good, but I don't really think I'll ever need them for anything that can't be achieved with the defaults. Some things in the fx pack are nice, though, which is the problem...like 'tube drive' seems better than the screamer, and 'boost +eq' is REALLY helpful for getting decent metal tones. I'll probably still be conflicted when the trial period comes close to its end...:( I wish I was rich so I could just spend the extra 50 and be done with it and not worry about having wasted my money.

Thanks!

just got a VAmp Pro last week and I have recorded a short heavy track with it. but I'm pretty much a total noob at recording. I think the VAmp is pretty damn good for the price!

I had very interesting results running a V-amp without cab sim going through a tube power amp and a real cab.

I agree that the Screamer model on the PODxt isn't all that great. I actually use the Boost+EQ stomp on all of my patches, and then run an actual TS-9 in front of my PODxt. The good thing for me is, the Live comes with the FXJunky pack, so I already had all the effects, then I just bought the MS pack and I'm set. My boss bought an xtPRO, with all of the model packs. I agree that the Classic pack isn't all that usable considering you have to pay for it, the MS pack is probably the best thing since sliced bread as far as modeling is concerned. The 5150II (MS-Criminal) model is by far the best model on there. The Recto one is pretty good too, but I always find myself going straight back to the Criminal patches.

As far as V-Amp vs. PODxt...The PODxt would win. The difference is not negligable. The PODxt can get some pretty damn good tones, the V-Amp can't. Like I said, in all the years it's been around, I have not once heard a decent clip of a V-Amp. I've heard tons of clips of the PODxt and been fooled thinking they were using real amps, every time I've heard a V-Amp clip, I've said "modeler" and I was right. You can actually use the PODxt for the final tracks for guitars, and it can sound fine. You couldn't pay me enough money to use a V-Amp for my final tracks. But hey, that's just me.

~006

"You couldn't pay me enough money to use a V-Amp for my final tracks. "
i doubt anyone would do so. as already stated in this thread, the vamp (or pod 2.0 for that matter) is fine if all you're doing is recording riffs and song ideas, but that's about it imho.

Hey 006! Would you mind sharing some of your criminal patches? I'm having a hard time getting any usefull tones out of it, so I'm very interested in seeing what other people are able to do with it.

Hexer said:
that little clip I did with the VAmp should soon be available for download at http://www.track4.de/agentur/bands/8656
dunno if you need to register to listen and/or download though.... I can also send it through email if it doesnt work

Would check it out but it's RM. haven't had that shit on my rig in years upon years. Thanks anyways!

006: did a v-amp pro shit in yer wheaties or something? Fuck, I can barely find that many samples of the goddamn thing to completly form an opinion but you seem to really have some ill feelings for the unit I am assuming it's the berhinger name attached that has you you so grumpy?

VincentVegas said:
Would check it out but it's RM. haven't had that shit on my rig in years upon years. Thanks anyways!

006: did a v-amp pro shit in yer wheaties or something? Fuck, I can barely find that many samples of the goddamn thing to completly form an opinion but you seem to really have some ill feelings for the unit I am assuming it's the berhinger name attached that has you you so grumpy?

Speaking from personal experience- it's fine for scratch tracks but the sound wears thin REAL fast. It's just generally unpleasurable to play something that doesn't sound at all inspiring. That said, if you're broke and just want to get ideas down- it works just as well as any other cheap modeller. On the other hand... guitarsuite is free- and even though it's not great fun to play, it does sound better.

No, it has nothing to do with the Behringer name, I don't hate Behringer at all really. I use some of their stuff daily here, because they can actually make some decent stuff, just gotta get a good unit and not a messed up or dodgy one. The V-Amp just fucking sucks, plain and simple, thats why I dislike it. I just don't like people backing it up and saying the difference between it and a PODxt with MS is "negligable"....that's totally untrue and it's like comparing apples to oranges. I'll see if I can find a few spare minutes tomorrow to post a couple of my patches. No promises though, busy day tomorrow.

~006

006 said:
I just don't like people backing it up and saying the difference between it and a PODxt with MS is "negligable"....that's totally untrue and it's like comparing apples to oranges.

keep in mind tho, most people will not hear things the same way you do...and not everyone is wanting to use unit x for the same purpose...if they just want something to jam with (like me) the difference from one to the next may be negligable...if they want something to produce really good guitar tones with (like you) that's a whole different ballgame

Okay, okay, I am the culprit that said the difference was "negligable". I didn't mean to offend all the POD fans.....:heh:

If you are trying to get a sweet guitar sound for a recording I would absolutely tell you that it is unacceptable. However, I would say the same thing about any modeler. For me a modeler isn't good for anything but messing around and doing scratch tracks so you might as well get the cheapest thing that works for that purpose. So with that in mind..along with the fact that the Behringer is so much cheaper....I'll back it up any day.
I would never assure somebody that they would be able to get some sweet tone out of it. (However, I've never heard anything from a POD that I would be satisfied with either.) If you want something that will be more usable for finished tracks, maybe the POD is for you...who knows.

On a side note....Is comparing one digital amp modeler to another digital amp modeler really apples to oranges? :lol:

If you want my honest opinion, I think the V-Amp sounds anemic and utterly unconvincing. But I think PODs, while sounding perhaps better in some ways, are still utterly unconvincing.

Modelers.....:puke:

VincentVegas said:

I can send it to you via mail if you want. being the recording-noob that I am, I need opinions anyway ;)

has anyone tried the m-audio black box?
they just did a major overhaul and added a bunch of amp models....
i started a thread a week or so ago...but noone replied :cry:
since everyone here is talking about pods n vamps i thought i'd give it one last shot....before i go buy the friggin thing so i can do some home pro tools editing and demoing stuff.