VANDEN PLAS CDs

I don't know what the consensus is, but I think Christ.0 is breathtaking and is the first Vanden Plas album that I really got into and enjoyed. There are some awesome tracks on that disc.

In my opinion, The God Thing and Beyond Daylight are exceptional--two of the best progressive metal CDs ever. Christ 0 is fantastic as well, but TGT and BD are just a little better. In truth, all Vanden Plas CDs are excellent, it is just a matter of degrees of excellence that separates them.

Having seen them at PP IV, I cannot wait to see them at PPX with more time for their set, etc. Despite a phenomenal line up for PP X, Vanden Plas may be the highlight. They will certainly be a highlight. .

If you're unsure of what to go with, get the Spirit of Live. Its a great live performance with excellent quality and good song selection.

Beyond Daylight, Far Off Grace and The God Thing are my favorite studio albums.

If you're unsure of what to go with, get the Spirit of Live. Its a great live performance with excellent quality and good song selection.

Beyond Daylight, Far Off Grace and The God Thing are my favorite studio albums.

I haven't heard Spirit of Live, but I disagree on recommending a live album as someone's first album by a band (unless it's some band like Phish or Dave Matthews Band :puke:). Live albums are usually a pseudo-greatest hits collection that is more easily appreciated by people who are already familiar with the songs (especially if the band doesn't just play exactly what they did on the albums).

Live albums are also hit-or-miss...some are awesome (Unleashed in the East, Live in Athens), and some are just not (no examples immediately come to mind).

Far Off Grace to me is their heaviest. Plus, you have to love a Dokken cover. ;) Colour Temple is next heavy.

Personally, my favorite has always been The God Thing. It seems the most balanced and one of the better written. Christ O is a great album, but a lot of it is mellow. In fact, the last 4 songs are fairly mellow, and it leaves you with a less heavy impression.

So I would recommend them to you in the following order:
Far Off Grace - heavy and good
The God Thing - some heavy, some not, but a great album
Christ O - somewhat heavy and very good album
Colour Temple - heavyier album, but very 80s sound
Beyond Daylight - mixed album. Some very good songs and some weak songs

In my opinion, The God Thing and Beyond Daylight are exceptional--two of the best progressive metal CDs ever. Christ 0 is fantastic as well, but TGT and BD are just a little better. In truth, all Vanden Plas CDs are excellent, it is just a matter of degrees of excellence that separates them.

I agree with this 100%, especially the first sentence. TGT is in my top 10 list of all progmetal CDs.

Craig

The God Thing and Far Off Grace are two of the best prog metal discs ever with FOG being the heavier of the two. Also, check out the prog metal opera they did Abydos. They'll probably play a song off of it, and its just a must hear album regardless.

Christ O and God Thing for me. i'm going to have to throw Beyond Daylight back it after all the thumbs up on that one.

I have been a huge fan since I first heard "The God Thing" and it is hard to pick a favorite. If I had to pick one, I would say their last, Christ 0. However, since you prefer the heavier stuff. I recommend Far Off Grace" which is a little heavier than their other releases.

Bryant

And let me add an album no ones giving any credit to - ACCULT! Mostly covers and a few tracks off Colour Temple, this is an AWESOME acoustic album. I prefer these versions of the Colour Temple songs to the original release, so its definitely worth checking out.