Varg Vikernes: "I Am Ready For Society".

I'm well aware that Norway's social situation is significantly better than ours.
Of course, you realize that if you want to pick this apart it comes down to society - many/most American criminals are blacks who live in a poor society that glamorizes crime, while in Norway exactly the opposite is true.

Anyhow, I'm not saying their system as a whole is flawed, but rather that they aren't prepared to deal with crimes as serious as this because it just doesn't happen there.
Actually, the increased recidivism rate is across the board, not just "poor blacks". Your argument fails.

If you're saying that murder never happens in Norway, you're insane. It's just less common, and a better justice system is partially to thank for that.

Did I say it would revolutionize the genre? Did ANYONE say that?

It would still be a huge event, since if he really does pick up right from where he left off, it'll still be the best album the genre has seen in over a decade, even if it doesn't stretch the aesthetic boundaries of the genre.

Yes, it has been said by many fans, and implied by many.

And that is quite the assumption to make based on nothing. Why do you think it would be "the best album the genre has seen in over a decade" ?

I said that if it picked up from where Burzum left off that it would be. Given that HLTO and Filosofem absolutely SLAUGHTER what the bands that have come afterwards have been able to do, an album that is a true successor to those would obviously do the same.

Saying that it picks up from where Burzum left off is an assumption, true, but it's one that you've been working under as well. Obviously, if we remove that, then all bets are off.

but when it comes to your favorite murderer, suddenly the law is worthless.

FINALLY you understand.

...Actually, I'm not in favour of very harsh punishments for murder. Not for anyone. Why ruin two lives at once? Give the murderer a fair chance to readjust to society. Of course, I don't know enough about the subject to say how this would work in practice, it's just an ideology. I don't believe in punishment.

I'm well aware that Norway's social situation is significantly better than ours.
Of course, you realize that if you want to pick this apart it comes down to society - many/most American criminals are blacks who live in a poor society that glamorizes crime, while in Norway exactly the opposite is true.

Anyhow, I'm not saying their system as a whole is flawed, but rather that they aren't prepared to deal with crimes as serious as this because it just doesn't happen there.

Your picture of Norway and Scandinavia seems to be extremely naive. Every country has it's fair share of areas with high poverty and crime. Of course there's not as much crime in Norway due to the fact that roughly 305 million people live in your country while in Norway there doesn't even live 5 million people. But that fact also allows Norway to apply their punishment system in the way they do, in my opinion one of the far most sophisticated punishment systems in the world. It focuses on rehabilitation rather than just locking someone up to get in even more contact with criminal elements inside a prison. There's no crimes that happen in Usa that doesn't happen in Norway too.

“The pengrim is one of Norways most sacred animals, written of in many of the Norse saga’s. It was written that Odin himself one sodomised a pengrim just to get a hard on so that the children of Valhalla could choke on his cum as they played with their mighty hammers.”

Vossyrus said:
HLTO was revolutionary for it's time no doubt and impacted the genre immensely for years to follow but still, you, Cynical and so many Burzum nuthuggers are living like it's still 1993. If Darkthrone released another "Transilvanian Hunger" or if Emperor reunited it wouldn't do anything to revolutionize the genre. And how about Mayhem's most recent album?

i don't even think he'll revolutionise the genre myself, if anything he rendered the genre largely incapable of revolution with his original work, because it's so open-ended and vast in scope it contains the rest of the genre within it. everybody's still trying to catch up. my point was always that he's proven himself capable in the past of reaching a higher state of genius than anybody else, so dismissing any new work from him would be foolish.

Keyword is conformation bias. People will bring their expectations to a hypothetical new Burzum album and more likely they'll see what confirms their expectations than what contradicts them.

i don't even think he'll revolutionise the genre myself, if anything he rendered the genre largely incapable of revolution with his original work, because it's so open-ended and vast in scope it contains the rest of the genre within it. everybody's still trying to catch up. my point was always that he's proven himself capable in the past of reaching a higher state of genius than anybody else, so dismissing any new work from him would be foolish.

I just personally haven't seen any indications of why a new Buzum album will fulfill the already high-set expectations of some fans. Anticipations/expectations which include that the new album will be the best black metal has seen since HLTO, or that it will "slaughter" future albums to come, or as I've even read that it will revolutionize the genre or create a new wave of black metal etc. People are already, seemingly proclaiming a masterpiece, on something that has yet to exist and may not even be created. And if you do believe that black metal is incapable of a new 'revolution' (which I'm not debating) than why will a new Burzum album be significant to today's scene? - aside from the obvious fact that it's Varg's return to black metal, but what specifically about the album?

I'm repeating myself here, as it's already been said that a new album would likely resemble previous ones. So why would HLTO part 2 (as an example) be a significant to today's black metal scene? If Darkthrone released "Transilvanian Hunger" part 2 it wouldn't change anything either. The difference is that today, the genre is mostly saturated, and in the early 90's it was still taking shape so the significance of a HLTO back then to now is not even comparable, which is why it seems people are living in the past and basing everything on events 15 years earlier.

The Darkthrone comparison is invalid since Darkthrone has never left the scene.

The impact of a new quality Burzum album (assuming that it is quality, obviously), may very well likely at the very least see a rejuvenation to some degree of the genre. Will it revolutionize anything? I don't think it's probable at all. Will it have an impact? Absolutely it will, if only for the mere fact that it is so highly anticipated. Varg does not seem to be the kind of person who would release Reinkaos. Anyway, if I recall correctly, he has already described what a new album would most likely sound like.

I think it's a very good point that Varg hasn't exactly been writing music in jail -- other than what we've already got. But I'm very skeptical of Varg's own word on this issue. Coming back to it a couple of decades later, I just don't think it's going to be Filosofem part 2 or something like that. How many artists try to replicate their older work and fail miserably after this many years? So many. He said he's incapable of doing something that's not like Burzum... but shit, look at all the different things he's done. If I'm listening to Burzum in '92 and you show me Filosofem I would not have considered it "Burzumic". Let alone his jail albums. While its certainly impossible to tell, I don't think it's at all unreasonable to think that something revolutionary could come from Varg yet. Even if he has no intention of making the 'next great black metal album' ever again, that wouldn't stop a new great album of his from being popular and influential in the scene. A lot of revolutionary musicians are that way against their will. But, like has been said, he might not even record another album at all.

The Darkthrone comparison is invalid since Darkthrone has never left the scene.

The impact of a new quality Burzum album (assuming that it is quality, obviously), may very well likely at the very least see a rejuvenation to some degree of the genre. Will it revolutionize anything? I don't think it's probable at all. Will it have an impact? Absolutely it will, if only for the mere fact that it is so highly anticipated. Varg does not seem to be the kind of person who would release Reinkaos. Anyway, if I recall correctly, he has already described what a new album would most likely sound like.

The Darkthrone comparison was thrown in there just as another example. The point I was getting at was you could sequel any "classic" black metal album and release it today, it wouldn't be as relevant to today's scene and the impact would only be minor.

I understand it's all opinion on the matter, but I believe mine is at least more rational than the absurd claims of many, who are already praising this (potential) album. There's a lot riding on the idea that he will release another album, and stretching it even thinner with the idea that it will be of highest quality black metal, along with all the other ridiculous anticipations/expectations (hopes).

People are already, seemingly proclaiming a masterpiece, on something that has yet to exist and may not even be created.

and you're proclaiming a dud, that's all i've ever been taking issue with. i wouldn't be surprised at all if he came out and released some rehash of previous work, it seems to happen all too often. but i maintain that varg has proven himself capable of transcending time and producing work that is not only a historical landmark but remains eternally significant, and that this alone gives him as good a chance as anyone of releasing something significant today.

i'm going to reiterate my exaggerated analogy - if shakespeare came back to life and wrote something new would you expect it to 'no longer be relevant'? i don't see how you can say anything but 'yes' here given your above posts, but in my opinion you can't progress past shakespeare. granted, you can infer from this that shakespeare won't be capable of progressing past his own previous works either, but i think that given his track record he would have a better chance than anyone else. i don't mean to imply varg is shakespeare standard, but my basic argument is the same.

...Actually, I'm not in favour of very harsh punishments for murder. Not for anyone. Why ruin two lives at once? Give the murderer a fair chance to readjust to society. Of course, I don't know enough about the subject to say how this would work in practice, it's just an ideology. I don't believe in punishment.
Ideally people would be released once they were ready to contribute to society, no sooner and no later, but obviously there's no way to be accurate about that and so it's not a workable way. As for murderers, however...I don't think someone who commits first degree murder can ever be considered fit for human society.

Your picture of Norway and Scandinavia seems to be extremely naive. Every country has it's fair share of areas with high poverty and crime. Of course there's not as much crime in Norway due to the fact that roughly 305 million people live in your country while in Norway there doesn't even live 5 million people. But that fact also allows Norway to apply their punishment system in the way they do, in my opinion one of the far most sophisticated punishment systems in the world. It focuses on rehabilitation rather than just locking someone up to get in even more contact with criminal elements inside a prison. There's no crimes that happen in Usa that doesn't happen in Norway too.
What I'm saying is that your crime rates are also lower. In general Norway has fewer social problems - better access to health and employment and food and shit - than America does. I mean, lots of people in America (myself included) live in a high degree of comfort (relative to third worlders, anyhow) and definitely compare favorable in terms of standard of living to anywhere in the world. But we also have a lot - A LOT - of people living in shit. Not as many as, say, india, but a lot.

:lol:
Upon its release, it met with rave reviews among black metal enthusiasts, despite not containing any music at all. The album was in fact a one hour recording of Varg drinking tea and eating biscuits in a very Norwegian and winterlike fashion, occasionally coughing in a manner reminiscent of Goering himself. The album went gold in the black metal charts, selling half a copy in the space of a year.
Be warned, the sound of Varg sitting around doing nothing may be too much for even the most hardened black metal fan, and certainly too much for Entombed loving faggots

I ended up talking about Varg in Latin class today. We trailed off into a discussion about Karl Orff, whose Carmina Burana (and Carmina Catulli in particular) is all in Latin. Orff was the Nazi Minister of Culture, and that discussion led to Richard Wagner and his anti-semitism. So we had a brief discussion about the ethics of music, whether we can appreciate the art created by less than humanly-acceptable people. So I talked about Burzum.