VBC Released

Initial impression has me pretty happy ditching my hardware CL7720 for this tbh.

Need to try this out badly. I never got excited about any previous sw buss comp but from listening to the samples this one just sounds so deep and colorful.

Another test: take a typically wooly BFD2 kit (Ludwig Vistalite as the wooliest of them all) and try and make it punchy. Something that I've always found difficult with stock BFD2, and as such a good test to see if VBC can take the sound of a pillow and give it some impact, using only EQ and VBC.

First track: All FX off (to show how wooly the starting point is)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3ixjljnwnjrirbn/2013-06-BFD2-VBC_01.wav

Second track: All FX on
https://www.dropbox.com/s/i9zzdl6vokvl0as/2013-06-BFD2-VBC_02.wav

What do you think?

One thing I've learnt through this process is FG-Mu is not something you can slap on every track because the high end sheen builds up quickly and can become nauseating. FG-Grey, however, seems to lend itself to a track compressor without any bad build up. With this mix, it's FG-Grey on overheads, room, tom buss, snare buss, and kick, with FG-Mu on the full drum buss.

Although it's not a straight A/B comparison, I would never have been able to achieve this punch out of a BFD2 kit. With more work, including using BFD2 dampening knob and other tricks, I think this kit could be tightened up even further and form the basis of a drum driven rock song, though maybe not metal. Anyway, more evidence for me that VBC is another step up for the ITB guys.

It's weird how many people don't understand the HPF sidechain knob. All the videos explain it incorrectly. Unless the VBC works differently from every other compressor sidechain I can think of, it doesn't allow you to "not compress lows." It affects the detection circuit.

Anyway, VBC is awesome. I haven't had much stuff to mix lately, but I used it already to help master a song for a compilation. Looking forward to using it more, and actually mixing through it on the buss. I haven't compared FG-Grey directly to my usual Duende on the master buss yet, but the Mu does some cool stuff to "liven" a mix, as many have already mentioned.

It's weird how many people don't understand the HPF sidechain knob. All the videos explain it incorrectly. Unless the VBC works differently from every other compressor sidechain I can think of, it doesn't allow you to "not compress lows." It affects the detection circuit.

It's a general misconception and I used to think the same.

Those of you with VBC do you feel this is a worthy purchase. My daw is down right now so I have been unable to test.................. but want to jump on the sale price if you guys still have glowing reviews after the honeymoon period. And reading through the gearslutz posts is like a soap opera and have more faith in this forums thoughts anyways!

A had more low end, kind of sounded like it was still drum samples.

B had more mid range snap. I like the kick here.

C brought the kick and snare together better, and brought them to the front of the kit.

I prefer C, but just over B. Difference is small, and took many listens.

I'm going to call:
A: Waves
B: Slate
C: Hardware

Keep in mind, I've never had the privilege of using hardware, so distinguishing B & C is purely based on how I think the FG-Grey imparts EQ.

So my ears must really, really be bad. I can barely notice a difference between any of those clips. And even if there is a difference, it's so minute that you'd probably never notice it in a full mix....let alone your average/standard listener picking it out.

*shrug*

So my ears must really, really be bad. I can barely notice a difference between any of those clips. And even if there is a difference, it's so minute that you'd probably never notice it in a full mix....let alone your average/standard listener picking it out.

*shrug*

A recording consists of hundreds of seemingly minutia decisions that compared A/B-wouldn't make difference one way or the other. When you have hundreds of those, it starts to make a pretty big difference.

The Devil lives in the details, you know..?

E: Not talking about VBC here, just saying. In the same vein, that's the reason why I find most blind a/b/c tests just meaningless.

Oh, now that you mention it, I totally new A was the hardware and MUCH prefer it.........................just kidding (just some GS humour).

*shrug*

There are noticeable differences but they're small, more like each one has a bit of it's own unique character which would be useful in some instances and not in others, would be nice to have all 3 options if and when you need them rather than just the 1.

download this zip
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1425397/VBC shootout.zip

and play around for yourselves.
It´s really hard to get the right picture of VBC or hardware only listening to a shootout.

The VBC feels and reacts like a hardware unit!
I think I´ll sell my hardware SSL because it´s easier to work in the box, and VBC comes not close, it´s like the real deal for me!

The waves SSL is a great plugin, but it´s getting "flat" and looses "depth" when it gets pushed. Its also "muddy´s" compared to the hardware and VBC