Very Old Mesa OS Cab, information? Logo?

ttrentt

Dec 26, 2009
I have two Mesa OS cabs, and they are very different.

Different logos, different vinyl coverings and the front grill on one is removeable! The one cab has a very low serial number, this is the one with the "flat" Mesa Engineering logo, different tolex and the front grill is velcro/removeable. Does anybody else have a cab like this? Didn't I see some guys cut the front grill cloth off for recording?

mesa1.jpg

mesa2.jpg

mesa3.jpg

Any insite on this? Considering how many of us have Mesa OS can this cab be dated? I also searched and searched and never saw another "flat" mesa logo like this one.

T

Yes, I have this same thing going on with my cab - called Mesa to verify and they confirmed that the earliest Recto cabs (post metal grill) had nubex/Marshall style tolex, a removable grillcloth baffle (speaker baffle is glued-in, not screwed-in like the newer models), a flat logo, and pop-in casters.

I got some of the newer, track-lock casters from Mesa and put them on since pop-ins suck and break super easily, and actually like how my cabinet sounds better than the newer Recto cabinet that my other guitarist has. A bit more depth and not as shrill in the top end, most likely due to a combination of the speakers being older as well as the baffle being glued-in instead of screwed-in.

Yes, I have this same thing going on with my cab - called Mesa to verify and they confirmed that the earliest Recto cabs (post metal grill) had nubex/Marshall style tolex, a removable grillcloth baffle (speaker baffle is glued-in, not screwed-in like the newer models), a flat logo, and pop-in casters.

I got some of the newer, track-lock casters from Mesa and put them on since pop-ins suck and break super easily, and actually like how my cabinet sounds better than the newer Recto cabinet that my other guitarist has. A bit more depth and not as shrill in the top end, most likely due to a combination of the speakers being older as well as the baffle being glued-in instead of screwed-in.

Great information. Mine actually already has the 3 inch track-locks, I wonder if the original pop-in holes are underneath? What year does that put these? 91-92? My other OS cab is one of the later ones...maybe a comparison is due.

Great information. Mine actually already has the 3 inch track-locks, I wonder if the original pop-in holes are underneath? What year does that put these? 91-92? My other OS cab is one of the later ones...maybe a comparison is due.

Could be, but those holes won't affect the sound if they're covered by the track-locks. No idea on the year, they just said they were the earliest Recto cabs. They didn't have much official documentation on it, either - it was just what the guy on the phone told me he could recall about older cabinets.

great guys thanks for the info. Can't wait to have the full OS stack at the next show. :)