Veyr bad news for opeth.

OH MY GOD, WHY WHY WHY, first pain of salvation looses 2 original members. NOW OPETH. DAMNNN ITTTTT!!!!. SHIT!

i will cherish the time i saw them live with peter.

Didn't see that one coming. First Lopez, now Lindgren :erk:
My thoughts exactly..

But now the initial shock has faded a bit, the band is pretty much all about Mikael, he writes all the stuff, now it's just another guy playing it.. Apparently this Akesson guy is a very good guitarplayer, so I'm curious to see what he'll add to the band, maybe he can break the songwriting 'monopoly' and contribute with some killer stuff.. Makes me all the more curious for the new Opeth album..

Oh well, Mikael writes everything anyway. As long as the new guitarist can play the material, this really isn't a huge deal.

been knowin this for a while. good its out.
good luck to peter, but its no doubt the new guitar player will finally complement mike in the best way.
cant wait to hear the solo duels between these two and the next masterpiece to come.

I wasn't as crushed by this story as I thought I would be. Since it's been mentioned plenty...Mikael is the key songwriter so I don't see the style changing much, but with a new guitarist...a great one at that...we should see some interesting things.

Oh and a little trivia for you all...even Mikael wasn't an original member of Opeth...neither Peter as well...David Isberg started the band and asked Mikael to join as bassist.

I wasn't as crushed by this story as I thought I would be. Since it's been mentioned plenty...Mikael is the key songwriter so I don't see the style changing much, but with a new guitarist...a great one at that...we should see some interesting things.

Oh and a little trivia for you all...even Mikael wasn't an original member of Opeth...neither Peter as well...David Isberg started the band and asked Mikael to join as bassist.
It wasn't a band band until mikael/ peter joined so yes he is an original member.
I'm hoping he doesn't bring any AE influences with him
Yes. Since he was in the band as a session player for less than a year...
:lol:

Sounds like Peter needed to go his way from Opeth and maybe some new blood will invigorate Opeth to acheive more with the next release or record a long overdue opus - who knows. Either way from what Peter stated, it's for the best and everybody remains friends still, even if it is a huge loss for Opeth to lose Peter after all these years together. I know we all wish them the very best!