Video tutorial: Mixing drums that slam!

Things i learned from 1st vid is how to use SSL Channel properly cuz i never really dig into it before. With this i actually removed trigger vsts from my chain cuz with this tutorial i got out a kick i wanted to hear for a long time.

+1 like for this work!!!!

Good vids, well done. Is this content aimed at those just starting out? If so, a few comments:

1. If I was processing a kick drum that heavily, I would ask myself "can I get there in fewer moves?" Seems like a long FX chain.

2. You're using samples to supplement, so I would work out what I like about the recorded kick and bring that forward with EQ, and then supplement it with samples. For example, the 15 dB at 8 kHz, would that not be better to sneak a clicky snare sample in underneath? I know there are many ways to achieve the end product, but back to "can I get there with fewer moves"

3. If the plan is to produce videos to be sold behind a paywall, it'd probably be more value to show how you recorded the kit and/or make the raw stems available to those who pay for those videos. There's nothing in that video that can't be learnt in other youtube videos.

4. There doesn't seem to be much critical "why am I doing this, what sound am I trying to achieve", more of "these are the plugin settings I used to get this kick drum to sound like this". Why do you cut out the mid-lows? Is it because it's conflicting with another track? Or because that's what you do every time?

I hope you take this as a constructive critique to improve future videos and not trying to be cynical and shoot down the effort.

I second all of this. Also think a bass video with non-midi bass would be nice. There are a lot more nasty resonances and "real-life issues" to take care of when you work with a real bass, and unless you're producing some serious Sturgiscore, it's what most of us have to work with at the end of the day.

HOFX, thanks for the feedback. You make some good points and I'll try to keep that in mind with future videos. For sure, sometimes i'll use a sample to get it there faster or with less extreme EQ. But in this case the drummer was great, and the live kit sounded good and I wanted to keep it intact.

Also, this is a live bass! I didn't track it, just mixed this album. But it's a live bass, probably just tracked really meticulously.

edit: sorry about the "already subscribed" error. Not sure why that's happening. If you're having that error and already signed up, click here and just bookmark the page.

Good vids man. Because this was a live drum kit it would have been nice to know the basics (drum, mic, chain, etc.) What microphones/basic placements used would be a nice touch. Can you share? Cheers.

Nice job on these videos. I will echo the sentiment about thinking that some of my eq moves were a bit extreme in the past but seeing this is sort of vindicating. I have had real kick drum tracks that sounded like that in the past and just decided to sample replace entirely but having seen this I might spend a little more time trying to get a successful blend going like you did. Very cool.

I liked the Bass video, I always wondered how people using R-Bass and other low freq enhancers were really using those tools in practice, so that was cool to hear / see. The thing that none of the tutorials I have watched or read regarding bass deal with, is how to successfully get Bass guitar that isnt just aping the guitar line to function in a mix in an audible way while still adding the weight that you need out of those tracks. This is not surprising though considered the rarity of this challenge within the genre.

Good vids man. Because this was a live drum kit it would have been nice to know the basics (drum, mic, chain, etc.) What microphones/basic placements used would be a nice touch. Can you share? Cheers.

True - I guess I skipped that since these videos are just focused on mixing. It was also extremely simple. D112, inside the kick about halfway, API preamp into pro tools.

Really well done! For some reason I always do feel weird when I make a 12 dB scoop or something on a kick drum. Whatever sounds good! One of the things I noticed that I'd like to hear more about is how much you automate your mixes. It seems like there's a shit ton of volume editing in both the videos. Are you automating from a control surface or with the mouse? Would be great to see the reasoning and the effect of all the automation. I think that's the big thing my mixes lack, is that extra punch and movement from automating.

Really well done! For some reason I always do feel weird when I make a 12 dB scoop or something on a kick drum. Whatever sounds good! One of the things I noticed that I'd like to hear more about is how much you automate your mixes. It seems like there's a shit ton of volume editing in both the videos. Are you automating from a control surface or with the mouse? Would be great to see the reasoning and the effect of all the automation. I think that's the big thing my mixes lack, is that extra punch and movement from automating.

+1 for that automation seems to be "the key" to a pro sounding recording! Also I'd love to see a video about snare mix.
I'd like to thank you Jordan both of these videos were really helpful for me. Can't wait to see more

+2 For the automation explanation/video, also these videos so far have been really helpful, maybe with some more explanation on why you did all those moves in the mix these videos could indeed be even more awesome.

Hey guys, video 3 just went live! If you're already signed up, just check your email for the link. If not, get access to all the videos here.
This one's about my approach to guitar tone in the mix, with some EQ tips and lessons I've learned.

Once again I appreciate the feedback from this forum. Glad you guys picked up on the automation... you're absolutely right. I do a TON of automation and it's one of the main things that separates "the men from the boys" in mixing. I'm not going to get into detail in this video series, but keep an eye out for Video 4 to find out how you can get way more in depth with all of this (including automation).

Hi Jordan. Thanks for these great videos. I personaly would like to have a video about vocals mix.

Haven't checked this out yet but it seems to be getting a good response. If I can just give a recommendation without offending, maybe change the site up a bit? I felt like my computer was going to get aids being on the site too long. There's no header, the graphics look outdated and things like "Get Instant Access to My Free Mix Training Videos *This is a free training series and no credit card is required." are pretty much the exact phrasing that a lot of popups and scam sites use. Again, not knocking this because it seems awesome, it just might help you get more people checking it out. I used to be a Web Dev if you want some pointers, feel free to PM me =)

jordan, your videos are great so far, but 349$ for the whole course? way out of budget for the most i guess!

Yeah, it's not as if it's an individual course, everybody gets the same deal.
Those who can afford to spend $350, probably don't need the course.