Viking Metal

Amon Amarth isn't Viking metal...the genre of Viking metal, as I understand, is a variation of melodic black metal with Scandinavian folk melodies. Check out Thyrfing, Falkenbach, Einherjer, and Mors Oscult.

AA is basically just death metal with cool-ass lyrics about Vikings fucking shit up.

Viking metal is pretty much a huge genre which includes folk metal, heathen metal, pagan metal and viking metal altogether. Amon Amarth have always been a viking band for me cos they dont sound like what i would call death metal (morbid angel, dying fetus, cannibal corpse).

Plus theyre on the viking metal list on http://www.xs4all.nl/~bvanede/vikingblood/metal/main/index.htm which is the best site for viking bands Ive seen...so yeh Viking metal more than death metal :kickass:

heavier black metal sounding viking bands that sing about burning christian villages etc

hmm its kind of difficult to explain but like folk metal with organs and piano noises and bells in the music and they sing about pagan gods, rituals etc

ChrisAHC said:
hmm its kind of difficult to explain but like folk metal with organs and piano noises and bells in the music and they sing about pagan gods, rituals etc
I know nothing about the organs, but I'm sure that there weren't pianoes in pagan gods' times. So it's impossible to hear piano in pagan music, even if it's pagan metal music... :confused:
And I'm not sure if piano fits to lyrics about pagan rituals... :confused:
Are you sure that you didn't confused something?

well, they dont play viking metal, folk and stuff..
but their themes and lyrics are about the norse mythology, and i think that's why they're called Viking Metal...

but anyway, who cares how they are categorized as long as they kick ass! :kickass:

How can you class them as death metal when they don't sound anything like death metal? Compare them to something like Morbid angel, cannibal corpse, dying fetus or cryptopsy :confused: :confused: :confused:

Brainkisser said:
Because you can also call melodic bands like Children of Bodom, At The Gates, and old In Flames as death metal. They don't sound like Cannibal Corpse either.
Have I ever told you about Hootie the Blowfish, one of its kind necro melodic heathno-ambient black death kvlt viking grind pagan gore forest nsbm classic rock bands.

Tomasz said:
Have I ever told you about Hootie the Blowfish, one of its kind necro melodic heathno-ambient black death kvlt viking grind gore forest nsbm classic rock bands.
You forgot include 'pagan' Tomasz:loco: