Viking Metal

Perpetual Catatonia said:
:lol: Good one man....

Wait, that wasn't a joke? o_O
Care to exhibit your own extraordinary categorization skills?

The only change I can make to my statement would be the basic genre used to define AA. Its more a hybrid between Folk/Black/Death than simply Black.

Aarohi said:
The only change I can make to my statement would be the basic genre used to define AA. Its more a hybrid between Folk/Black/Death than simply Black.
Folk?

Amon Amarth are melodic death metal. Not black metal or folk metal or any kind of mixture of the two.

folk and viking are not sub-genres of metal. end of argument.

viking metal has to be the most worthless description i have ever heard a band be given as it is entirely meaningless. as dodens said before, all bands that are described as viking, can be more suitabley linked to another meaningful genre.

folk is also not a genre as it is simply an influence on playing style. by definition a metal band can't play folk music as folk music is traditional music of a culture. a band can have folk influences, but cant play "folk metal".

also, amon amarth is melodic death metal. not black metal.

byrne said:

viking metal has to be the most worthless description i have ever heard a band be given as it is entirely meaningless. as dodens said before, all bands that are described as viking, can be more suitabley linked to another meaningful genre.

folk is also not a genre as it is simply an influence on playing style. by definition a metal band can't play folk music as folk music is traditional music of a culture. a band can have folk influences, but cant play "folk metal".

I can accept you saying Viking metal isn't an existing style of metal, but you are fucking wrong about folk metal not being a subgenre of metal.

Since there is no such thing as viking metal...I proclaim black metal to be thrash!:loco:

Ex-cally-boo said:
I can accept you saying Viking metal isn't an existing style of metal, but you are fucking wrong about folk metal not being a subgenre of metal.

an actual argument would be more convincing. im tempted to say that folk metal is "less of a subgenre" than viking metal, but cant bring myself to actually mean it purely due to the fact that "viking" metal is just such a stupid fucking concept. in any case, you are still wrong.

byrne said:

How the fuck is Folk not??

by definition a metal band can't play folk music as folk music is traditional music of a culture.
fucking bullshit to the max

you're arguing that folk music played on distorted electric guitars isn't folk music? that's BULLSHIT byrne, that's absolute fucking hogwash, go wash your mouth (or keyboard, as the case may be) with soap and hope that the gods will forgive this total brain failure

jade-the-folk-singer.jpg

folk

You should listen to Enslaved's Vikingligr Veldi for more abstract stuff and Blodhemn for more easy-listening but still non-gay viking metal.
Also listen to Hammerheart by Bathory.
A great non-viking-but-celtic band is Primordial. Listen to their last two albums.

Amon Amarth is viking metal because viking metal is no genre.

Erik said:
fucking bullshit to the max

you're arguing that folk music played on distorted electric guitars isn't folk music? that's BULLSHIT byrne, that's absolute fucking hogwash, go wash your mouth (or keyboard, as the case may be) with soap and hope that the gods will forgive this total brain failure

not what i meant at all, but i admit that's sort of the way it reads. OBVIOUSLY you you could play a folk song however you wanted, and that doesnt preclude it from being a folk song.

my point is, the mere influence of folk styles on any given bands music does not make it "folk music" (and therefore, not folk metal). that is, metal and folk are respectively in their strictest senses, mutually exclusive.

Folk metal is not a metal genre, as the metal part of it can be any type of metal, but it's definately a musical genre. When you mix folk music with metal music, you get folk metal. Same thing applies to genres like industrial metal, progressive metal and symphonic metal.