Vintersopeth?

What´s so special about Opeth is that even if a lot of people can say one of their albums are their worst,there´s the same amount of people who think it´s their best. Very personal music,i´m anxiously awaiting this release no matter what you guys say about the album:)

Opeth were good in the old days.

Deliverance started their boring era as far as I'm concerned, maybe even some parts of Blackwater Park. I downloaded the new album to see what it was about and... well... I pressed stop and put on some Týr instead.

I guess I'm a loser because I liked Ghost Reveries. Opeth is a really fucking good band... but I think as some people pointed out, having 10-15 minute metal/prog/acoustic songs tends to drag on. I never thought of song length as having any relevance to the goodness or badness of music until Deliverance came out, which is by far my least favorite album.

What kills Opeth is huge expectations and a really rabid, annoying fan base. If a new band had released any of their last 3-4 albums, we'd be hailing them as the next big thing. But they have a huge burden on them from having a relative degree of mainstream success. They're overrated in the sense that they're often portrayed as the best band in the world, when in reality they're just a really, really good one. But they've been one of my favorite bands for a while, and they still make great music. Just got to keep it in perspective... =)

What kills Opeth is huge expectations and a really rabid, annoying fan base. If a new band had released any of their last 3-4 albums, we'd be hailing them as the next big thing. But they have a huge burden on them from having a relative degree of mainstream success. They're overrated in the sense that they're often portrayed as the best band in the world...

that's a great point.

EDIT: I remember when SL was released... Opeth was another 'underground' band releasing good albums... until 2000 when came BWP. When that album was released Opeth went to shit for me: the music was boring and they became some kind ov mainstream with a very annoying fanbase as Naglfar said.

that's a great point.

EDIT: I remember when SL was released... Opeth was another 'underground' band releasing good albums... until 2000 when came BWP. When that album was released Opeth went to shit for me: the music was boring and they became some kind ov mainstream with a very annoying fanbase as Naglfar said.

Hear hear.

I must credit Opeth as the second "pure" metal band I listened to and followed. The first was Metallica several years ago, but in my early teens I was unashamedly listening to nu-metal such as Korn, POD, Static-X and Mudvayne (note: even at THAT time I thought Limp Bizkit sucked). A friend lent me Deliverance in late 2003 and I was HOOKED - the nu-metal went out the window and I was suddenly transfixed by REAL metal. All the ignorant Opeth fanboyism can go to hell as far as I'm concerned, but I still enjoy their songs throughout their catalogue (Ghost Reveries may not be their best but hardly annoys me like many others), and for the reason above, as long as they don't make metalcore, they still have my respect.

What kills Opeth is huge expectations and a really rabid, annoying fan base. If a new band had released any of their last 3-4 albums, we'd be hailing them as the next big thing. But they have a huge burden on them from having a relative degree of mainstream success. They're overrated in the sense that they're often portrayed as the best band in the world, when in reality they're just a really, really good one. But they've been one of my favorite bands for a while, and they still make great music. Just got to keep it in perspective... =)

I say: BULLSHIT! A bad album is still a bad album, regardless of who puts it out. I went into Watershed with NO expectation whatsoever and it still is what it is. A mediocre album. It was the same for me with their previous album, I had no expectations and I still disliked it. Has nothing to do with it being an Opeth album.

I say: BULLSHIT! A bad album is still a bad album, regardless of who puts it out. I went into Watershed with NO expectation whatsoever and it still is what it is. A mediocre album. It was the same for me with their previous album, I had no expectations and I still disliked it. Has nothing to do with it being an Opeth album.

Calling BULLSHIT in caps doesn't make your argument more resounding. Ahehehe. I haven't heard the new album, so I can't comment whether it was any good or not (and certainly consider that others tell me it's not good!), but I liked Ghost Reveries quite a bit. I'm not some pro-Opeth partisan, and like I said, remember I haven't pirated Waterclime so I'm not disputing anyone saying it's bad (again, because I haven't heard it).

You can claim otherwise, but oftentimes a band's expectations colors people's reactions to their music. Maybe you're personally more objective and deliberate in how you experience music, but that doesn't mean expectations don't matter. It's true for other mediums too, art, writing, dwarf tossing... if you do something really well, and then produce something others feel is not up to snuff, it can be poorly received in spite of its relative quality...

all i know is that i like some opeth stuff and i dislike some stuff, but I will not deny the fact that those guys are extremely talented instrumentalists. I can't make a good decision on the new album yet, I listened to it and fell asleep because of a bad hangover. I have to listen to it again.

for the record, I haven't disliked anything after blackwater park. I actually enjoy their newer albums a good bit.

Calling BULLSHIT in caps doesn't make your argument more resounding. Ahehehe. I haven't heard the new album, so I can't comment whether it was any good or not (and certainly consider that others tell me it's not good!), but I liked Ghost Reveries quite a bit. I'm not some pro-Opeth partisan, and like I said, remember I haven't pirated Waterclime so I'm not disputing anyone saying it's bad (again, because I haven't heard it).

You can claim otherwise, but oftentimes a band's expectations colors people's reactions to their music. Maybe you're personally more objective and deliberate in how you experience music, but that doesn't mean expectations don't matter. It's true for other mediums too, art, writing, dwarf tossing... if you do something really well, and then produce something others feel is not up to snuff, it can be poorly received in spite of its relative quality...

you should definitely go out and buy the astral factor. its definitely a cool album to own with good songs. as for the newest waterclime album, I can't say that I like it as much, although the drum programming is maybe a good reason to listen to it.

I think everything after Morningrise is boring. Opeth is fantastic live--when they are headlining, that is. If they are sandwiched between non-relative bands, it can be quite painful. Much is to be said for putting on a show and engaging the crowd, they have mastered that one.