Vinyl

Banned
Jan 13, 2006
Chicago,IL
I am interested in starting to buy and collect vinyl, but I do not own a vinyl record player or know how to set one up. Could someone tell me what kind of turntable I should buy, lowest price for a decent one, and what kind of speakers to go with it?

Also, if someone could film their setup and put it on youtube for me to see that would be nice.

Thanks!

they sell USB turntables that aren't too hard to find. Just google USB turntable and you'll come up with something. I got one, and you can hook it up to a regular (stereo) receiver. The one I have required you to use itunes to rip vinyl to your computer, so I just use it as a regular turntable. You don't really need a fancy new system. I've had my current stereo receiver since the early or mid nineties and my speakers are from the eighties.

i have a numark ttusb. it plays well, but the software that came with it to record on the computer doesnt work well. i abandoned my vinyl recording project. waaaayy too much work getting all the pops out. and i still cant figure out how to convert the files to mp3...
~gR~

All you need is a regular stereo system with an AUX setting. If you don't have that, you need some speakers that can hook into the player

Actually, it needs a phono preamp somewhere. Some amplifier are not equipped with this feature and some turntables don't have it either. You have to verify if you receiver has it and/or if the turntable is equipped with it because if you end up with none, you'll have to crank the volume all the way to the max just to hear a little bit and the sound will be very thin.

I made that mistake when I bought mine (because I didn't know it was needed...I was thinking that having the AUX was all I needed), and it wasn't working well until I bought an external phono preamp. But really, it would have been easier to buy a turntable with it to begin with.

not necessarily. I have a pair of altec lansing computer speakers and subwoofer that rock. I mean really solid quality. here are pics of my audio setup, alter. It is by no means 21st century except for the record player

the turntable. It's an Ion USB turntable:
stereo005.jpg

my stereo. note it has a record player on the top. however, I broke the needle, thus rendering the record player on the unit useless.
stereo002.jpg

back of the stereo:
stereo003.jpg

back of the stereo again. cords on the left are your generic RCA cords that run to/from the turntable. the cords on the right are speaker wires (the black cords are radio and power):
stereo004.jpg

one of two speakers. I got these for free from an uncle. they're at least 15 years old I would assume.
stereo001.jpg

yeah, bigger doesnt mean better anymore. with size, the question you should be asking is what kind of tone do you want? larger cones = deeper sound

that being said. i have to speaker cabs. each has a 15" and a horn. theyre cheap behringers though...
~gR~

The bigger the cone, the farther down its frequency response extends into the bass range. However, once you hit 8" cones you usually have all you need for studio set-ups, and more than enough for casual listening (afterall, people use computer speakers with 2" cones sometimes). You can use regular ol' computer speakers with a record player, you just need a way to hook it up (ways of doing so have already been mentioned).

Here's the setup I have (sounds great):

Denon AVR-1905 Receiver
Denon DCM-280 5 Disc CD changer
Pro-Ject Debut III Turntable (got it used)

stuff.jpg

Phono Pre-amp that I needed to buy after...
phonopreamp.jpg

Paradigm Monitor 7 speakers (well 1 of the 2...)
speakers.jpg

record player. under it is a cd player (obviously you don't need that) and what resembles my tuner/amp deal, which you'd need. Or at least my setup needs.