Home Audio

MasterOLightning

Optimator
Jun 3, 2003
Chicago
www.myspace.com
I'm moving into a new place soon (a relatively small apartment), and I need to buy some audio equipment. I could make due with my crappy set of speakers for the PC for digital media, but I'd like a turntable, so I'd might as well get an audio system I could use for CDs and tapes as well. I don't really care about audio for TV and movies. I might not even have a TV for a few months. So this makes me think I don't need to bother with a surround setup. I'd take any recommendations for equipment, especially speakers, since I don't really know where to start with those. I probably could budget $300 or so dollars for this, which should be fine if I'm finding gear used or on Craigslist.

Also, feel free to post pics or details about whatever your current setup is. I think there may have been a thread like this a while ago. Eh.

I would never buy speakers without hearing them first.

There are a thousand "cheap" turntables you can buy. Do you want a USB turntable? They can be bought readily on Amazon. Really, you're going to be limited by your gear. A cheap cartridge and tonearm and it'll sound bad no matter how nice the speakers are.

My setup isn't all that nice. My father had a real nice turntable from the early 70's and I took it to a pro and had them rework it and tune it. It came out beautiful. His old speakers I had reworked as well since I liked the cabinets and they sound pretty good too. Kept the retro look upstairs and the higher tech theater downstairs.

I think you can get a decent one although I don't know what models to point you toward. Like I said, Amazon, Musician's Friend, etc sell them and you can probably find one to fit you needs and budget.

Polk come pretty highly regarded. You'd probably be in good shape if you started with them.

Really, you have to start somewhere. As long as it sounds good to you...

Don't buy a USB turntable. It can ruin the vinyl because they are terribly made.