Virgin Black, anyone?

Black Chaosstorm

Like Gods of the Sun
Sep 7, 2003
Stockholm, Sweden
Visit site
Just bought the two virgin black albums, and man, they rock!
Hovewer, the description i got about them, on zines and so on, were that they are "gothic".
Now, they are truly very special, but isnt it a dot of that lovely feeling you get when you listen to doom?
I think that we are to call it gothic/doom metal from now on.
you?

Really nothing special about the new one. Plenty of notes going nowhere. Lots of songwriting abilities stagnating in a kind of directionless vacuum. Though I understand why people like it. It just has this all-engulfing atmosphere that "Sombre Romantic", being more solid and coherent as a collection of songs, kind of lacked.
Wow, this comment isn't going anywhere either :ill:
Suffice to say I enjoyed the first one and was looking forward for something much more meaningful than "Elegant... and Dying". I trust they will put out a great third album though.

Black Chaosstorm said:
Just bought the two virgin black albums, and man, they rock!
Hovewer, the description i got about them, on zines and so on, were that they are "gothic".
Now, they are truly very special, but isnt it a dot of that lovely feeling you get when you listen to doom?
I think that we are to call it gothic/doom metal from now on.
you?

You have to be in the right mood, obviously, but I think Elegant...and Dying is just stunning. Romantic melancholy.

I'm going to be a wanker and quote an excerpt from my own review of the album - just because I think it still stands true for me:

"I’m hard pressed not to imagine those vampires of 18th century Paris as portrayed in Interview with a Vampire; under the cobbled streets in a mausoleum playing basement to the vintage theater, coffins aligned in dark oak and black iron casts drowning in the lays of regal velvet. With choirs abound, VIRGIN BLACK have outdone themselves."

Virgin Black are very talented i agree. They are definitely one of the best Australian metal bands (along with Astriaal, Psycroptic, Chalice, Sakkuth and Infernal Method) I can't wait to see them live! They are currently touring Australia and i'll get to see them next month. YAY!

It can't be considered "similar", but when I listen to Saviour Machine's tetralogy "Legend" I get the same feeling of being at the same time uplifted and crushed by the music's magnitude. Both bands are very good examples of how to merge orchestrations in metal compositions decently.
Otherwise some movie soundtracks a la John Williams or some soothing stuff from the new school of mystical minimalism (Arvo Pärt, Zbigniew Preisner, Urmars Sisask...), but these are merely hints.

i havn't heard them i will check them out, knowticed the adds on UM before, and wondered, but never really checked them out

'A Poets Tears Of Porcelain' and 'Embrace' off the first album is a quite good song. 'Museam Of Iscariot' is pretty good too. You really have to keep an open mind at first though IMO.