Viva heavy what

I would have to say metal......but generalising it as metal does it an injustice....Katatonia has become a band that defies classification to me.....I mean...we could say one or the other....but I think either way it wouldnt do Katatonia justice........

Thats my opinion.... ;)

It's one of those albums that is tough to classify - i actually think everything from Discouraged Ones to present day is pretty unique in that they really can't be labeled. It's really all just 'katatonic'

To be honest, it's not really a major concern, but if I was forced I'd say it was definitely metal, albeit melodic and with clean vocals. I think that would cover it pretty well.

whatever it is,it is not a katatonia album.I think we can expect the rest of the katatonia albums be like Viva emptiness.This is sad...

Bonus Track said:
whatever it is,it is not a katatonia album.I think we can expect the rest of the katatonia albums be like Viva emptiness.This is sad...

just cause you dont like it dosnt mean its not "katatonic", i mean its just as dark and miserable as any of the previous releases. Besides, its released by katatonia, therfore its katatonia!

No! It is not "katatonic" not because of i don't like it(on the contrary i like it) VE is an aggressive album but katatonia used to be a passive band.
Ex:"What is wrong not with the world but me?" they used to express their feelings,their failures,self-doubtness and self-incriminating
but in VE
Ex:"He went too far the fucker.It's not like I owe him money.This is different" There is aggressiveness,swearing,shouting,outbreak etc.

This is why it is not "katatonic" katatonia used to drown in theirselves and express alienation
and yes it is released by katatonia and that is why we criticise this marvelous album

Bonus Track said:

The beauty of Katatonia is their ability to evolve....not all fast....but nice and slowly....morphing.......but I dont care what you think.....you can only like the old stuff.....maybe try to have an open mind about music.....take it for what it is....not for what you want it to be....either way it is your opinion....and thats ok with me....I can just disagree....

Wanderer said:
No! It is not "katatonic" not because of i don't like it(on the contrary i like it) VE is an aggressive album but katatonia used to be a passive band.
Ex:"What is wrong not with the world but me?" they used to express their feelings,their failures,self-doubtness and self-incriminating
but in VE
Ex:"He went too far the fucker.It's not like I owe him money.This is different" There is aggressiveness,swearing,shouting,outbreak etc.

This is why it is not "katatonic" katatonia used to drown in theirselves and express alienation
and yes it is released by katatonia and that is why we criticise this marvelous album

fair enough :cool:
do you not think that some of the earlier stuff had a lot of aggression in it?

Me personally I think that anything after Brave Murder Day isn't metal. Saying that I think it's heavy rock blended with other elements in it such as metal, gothic and progression. On that note Viva Emptiness is a kick ass album that "rocks"!

Wanderer said:
It can be nu metal
:confused:

I have yet to see Jonas wearing a backwards baseball cap screaming about how his old man didn't love him, rounding up some hoes, chillin' and pouring a 40 on the curb for his late homies, or how the world hates him because he listens to shit music, picks his nose and wears black eyeliner to school. Nor have I heard Anders grinding a single chord on a 7-string guitar, adding a pair of harmonics every few seconds for effect, while bobbing his shaven head around trying to look depressed.
The only thing nu metal I see associated with Katatonia is Daniel Liljekvist's 10 essential albums list...

That's right. Nu-metal isn't only the type of music but the whole "concept" (or lack thereof) around it.