Vocal Change?

Jun 23, 2007
When I first listened to The Black Waltz a while back I had to go check the band lineup on Wikipedia. Was surprised they still had the same vocalist :lol:

Do you guys prefer the death vocals on TBW or their earlier growl style? Do you think they'll go back to their original vocals on the upcoming album?

Discuss.

Pekka always made use of his death metal vocals from day one, but he never showcased them like he did of The Black Waltz. I like his death growls, but I hope that he mixes in his screams more on the next releases, I like it better when there's a mixture. If I had to choose though, I'd like him to return to the high-screams of Kalmah.

I have no preference. I just want the vocals to fit with the music and that's what happened on TBW.

I think most people prefer Pekka's screams/high growls,
because of the feeling and the sheer originality.

Nowhere else can you find a voice like that,
so atmospheric and swampish, yet unrelenting...
..so very distant from all the mediocre screams you hear these days...

I think most people prefer Pekka's screams/high growls,
because of the feeling and the sheer originality.

Nowhere else can you find a voice like that,
so atmospheric and swampish, yet unrelenting...
..so very distant from all the mediocre screams you hear these days...

I totally agree. I thing what makes the really unique is the rythm he has with the music, like in the chorus "heroes to us." The vocals in they will return sound really unique, because that is their most swampish album. Swamplord was their most dark-melodic classical type album, they will return was their most swamp metal album. Swampsong was almost a combo of those too and the black waltz was their most death metal brutal sounding album. I also do agree with the fact that you do hear alot of mediocre screams.

P.S. The intro to "Time takes us all" is one of the best intros I have ever heard and it pretty much combines all of their dark classical and swamp metal style together.

Both styles are fine to me...but i think they should stick with the growl vocals...it fits the music better imo....

I don't like how low growls became the focus in newer Kalmah tracks. the change was very disappointing, but they can't please everyone..

I hope that the new album contains SOME high screams, such as in the song 'My Nation'.

I want to hear what Anttis got! Lets see if this talent runs in the family.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think Antti did some back up vox for Eternal Tears Of Sorrow on "A Virgin, and A Whore"

Off the top of my head I think the songs are "Heart of Wilderness" and the Accept cover song "Sick, Dirty, and Mean"

They were pretty good from what I remember, not as good as Pekka(obviously), but it would be cool to hear Antti throw down some vox as well for Kalmah.:kickass:

Pekka sang the new song Wings of blackened most parts with the old screaming vocals. At least the verses. But there where the new low scream also. But you cant know how they ended up in the album

E: meaning at their last gig.