Vocal Recording

No, you obviously identify with assholes with an elitist mindset. Yeah there's a lot of "hobbyist" on this forum, but some of those guys have more talent in their little fingers than most people ever see, hear or let alone possess themselves.
Here's a link to a song from my band. I was forced to use a cheap condenser mic through exactly the same preamp the thread opener uses, into the line in of my drummers laptop. I swear it was a horrible way to record, but we had to do it that way in order to finish the demo on time, but we're pretty pleased with the results. Shows that you can get decent and even good sounds with "crappy" gear.
http://www.upload.celtiaproductions.co.uk/uploads/enern råmiks.mp3

Haha, I might not get quite that extreme, Jackal, but I definitely hear ya - he sounds like the kinda guy that thinks Vai would be nothing without a JEM and a Legacy.

Do you mean me by that?
If so, than no, that's not my attitude, I know that there are some guys getting fantastic sounds out of almost nothing (I heard guitar sounds that theren't bad at all out of a valveking combo recorded with a cheap headset mic...). And I know that you can't solve all problems with the best gear, that's the reason why I am not playing guitar in my band, I own very acceptable guitar amps but that doesn't solve the problem that I am a bad player :D . That is why our guitarist uses my amp all the time (bought an ESP MII, no money for an amp, uses a Marshall MG50). I really don't want do sound like a dick.
I hope that I can post some samples tomorrow, thanks for the help.
@Jackal, the link doesn't work for me

Do you mean me by that?
If so, than no, that's not my attitude, I know that there are some guys getting fantastic sounds out of almost nothing (I heard guitar sounds that theren't bad at all out of a valveking combo recorded with a cheap headset mic...). And I know that you can't solve all problems with the best gear, that's the reason why I am not playing guitar in my band, I own very acceptable guitar amps but that doesn't solve the problem that I am a bad player :D . That is why our guitarist uses my amp all the time (bought an ESP MII, no money for an amp, uses a Marshall MG50). I really don't want do sound like a dick.
I hope that I can post some samples tomorrow, thanks for the help.
@Jackal, the link doesn't work for me

Nope, he meant the dude bashing the spoken gear and making it clear his skills are way beyond the humble hobbyists this board carries. I agree with him, I neither identify myself with hobbyists like Suecof, Sneap, Murphy and alike.

What a walking talking living turd.

How the hell does a Shure SM7 cost 550-600 Euros? That is some kind of crazy highway robbery. It can't cost that much to import a mic anywhere. I blame the Ilumanti.

Thanks for the explanation!

I was way too confused at the moment I red it because some strange things happend here (did you know that a hamster is able to bite a cat through the bars of his cage so bad that you have to go to a vet?).

Something should work, I hope I can solve the problem when I am back home.

Thanks again, most people here at the forum are very friendly and although I only red here for a long time it really helped me and I learnt alot.
About my first posts in this thread, I was just way to frustrated with the results I got, I am really obsessed with music and it was hard to realize being a bad guitar player, that's why I really enjoyed it being good/ok at death metal vocals.
I am so obsessed with music that I have a clef tattooed on my right leg... :D

Yeah, it's really expensive, do you guys know some other mic that is in the same quality range like the sm7 for vocals but for the price you have to pay for the sm7 in America, that would be like 250 Euros I think.

Nothing used on there and if so, they go for 400-450 Euros most of the time, the cheapest used one I have seen was on some german forum for about 370 Euros, that's too much for me. And I don't want to buy one from ebay.com because I had trouble a few times when I bought stuff from the US there.

What do you guys think of the Rode NT1A, the guitar player of some modern rock band recommended it to me, uses it for recording vocals since a few years, but never did death metal style vocals with it.

I am only able to spend around 200-250 Euros, nothing more, we should finish our demo in the next few weeks and I have way too much to do for school, so I am not able to work after school at the moment (did that to buy almost all my gear, guitar wise around 4000 Euros).

of course you can FORCE low end gear to work with lots of EQ and processing.

have fun guys, this just isn't the board for me. i'm not a hobbyist and don't identify with hobbyist musicians. i dedicate my life and my earnings to my craft.

signing off.

Right, because the difference between a hobbyist and a pro is a ton of gear and not an attitude, a strong customer base, and inhuman dedication to the work. This isn't the board for you, but that's not the reason why.

Nothing used on there and if so, they go for 400-450 Euros most of the time, the cheapest used one I have seen was on some german forum for about 370 Euros, that's too much for me. And I don't want to buy one from ebay.com because I had trouble a few times when I bought stuff from the US there.

What do you guys think of the Rode NT1A, the guitar player of some modern rock band recommended it to me, uses it for recording vocals since a few years, but never did death metal style vocals with it.

I am only able to spend around 200-250 Euros, nothing more, we should finish our demo in the next few weeks and I have way too much to do for school, so I am not able to work after school at the moment (did that to buy almost all my gear, guitar wise around 4000 Euros).

Egan from Daylight Dies said he used an NTK (ballpark of $500 USD) on his new record, and I've heard a lot of great things out of Audio-Technica mics (the AT4040 would be a great one to look for in that range) - let me know what prices you'll get on those, and it might be possible to arrange with a board member a 'special delivery' at near-U.S. prices.

EDIT: The clip's intro sounds good, but tame that low end and keep your levels below unity - that's a lot of bloody clipping. Check out the threads about compression and limiting with Search. When you have all of your things recorded you could send it to us with the FTP and see how to mix all of that stuff down better so that it has all of the impact with less of the noise.

Jeff

Right, because the difference between a hobbyist and a pro is a ton of gear and not an attitude, a strong customer base, and inhuman dedication to the work. This isn't the board for you, but that's not the reason why.

he isn't happy with the tube mp, so why try to convince him he is the problem?

NOT ALL GEAR SOUNDS THE SAME.

on the low end, i'd REALLY recommend an M-Audio DMP3. they're 2-channel preamps with VUs, and more importantly LOTS of gain, enough to even drive an SM7. they're mostly clean until you get really cranking and then they are a pleasing slightly colored clean sound. seriously, tube mps are not good for anything but adding distortion, I M O...

i'm'a'n'a go now.

peace all. :kickass:

he isn't happy with the tube mp, so why try to convince him he is the problem?

Because next he won't be happy with a DMP3, and then he won't be happy with a Firepod, and then he won't be happy with...

From his clip we can gather that he doesn't know much about mixing and that he has a lot of learning to do. This should be addressed before he goes on a shopping spree.

NOT ALL GEAR SOUNDS THE SAME.

In other news, bunnies are fuzzy. Am I saying that an MP is a godly box that should be revered by all? No - I'm saying it's good enough. I'm saying it can be great with a little work. I'm saying that he needs to know more about mixing before he spends money because he won't be able to do anything with better gear.

on the low end, i'd REALLY recommend an M-Audio DMP3. they're 2-channel preamps with VUs, and more importantly LOTS of gain, enough to even drive an SM7. they're mostly clean until you get really cranking and then they are a pleasing slightly colored clean sound. seriously, tube mps are not good for anything but adding distortion, I M O...

Which is why I can crank the output on a stock one, run a sine wave through it, and have no clipped peaks... makes perfect sense. Look, you haven't given the faintest indication that you've spent enough time with them, and repeating 'they suck! they suck!' isn't helping.

i'm'a'n'a go now.

peace all. :kickass:

Have fun, and good luck with the credit card companies.

Jeff

I know that the sample is clipping and so on, like I said, it was just a premix, I just wanted to know how I can get something loud and just a bit of Sonic Maximizer Plugin and than limited it with Cool Edit Pro (yeah, I know really nooby, I've done it in like 5 minutes, I just wanted to give you an example of our music).

Thanks for all the info, I will check those Mics out and kick my bandmates in the ass to get some money together.

Yeah, it's really expensive, do you guys know some other mic that is in the same quality range like the sm7 for vocals but for the price you have to pay for the sm7 in America, that would be like 250 Euros I think.

not sure of their price/availability overseas, but the E/V RE20 and heil pr-30 are considered to be in the same league as the SM7, at least as far as dynamic vocal mikes go

i know some folks have also used the sennheiser 421 on vocals with success, but i for one have only used them on drums

I know that I have to learn much about mixing, the "pre-mix" I posted wasn't clipping and so on at all before I started getting it "louder" and I've only done it to know how it sounds. I know that I shouldn't have any clipping and so on, it was only a test, trial and error, I know it's not very good, I've read almost everything on this forum and my newer "mixes" sound way better.
Not that loud, but no bad highs and the low end isn't overpowering.
I only wanted to know what presets of different DAWs are able to do and I only have this sample of us on this PC here.
Recorded all of that with Cubase SX3 and made it "louder" with Cool Edit Pro2 through different EQs and so on, gave it that low end and so on, and I had bad speakers for that, for the end mix I can get the Yamaha HS50 from my uncle.
I think the drums are ok sounding, they weren't recorded by me and I only got the finished tracks so I tried around a bit with C3 to compress the Bassdrum a bit (I looked for the frequencies of the bassdrum and compressed them a bit) but I think it sounded better before that.

And I could lend an Shure SM58 from my school (we have a very cool music teacher here).
Do you think this could help? like using the mic more like I do it on stage and not just stand at one place and grunt into a mic like the SM57 because that irritates me a bit.

Thanks to all of you.

well i do own a rode nt1 and a m-audio dmp3, and in my ears they sound a little harsh in the highs.. and yes, it has PLENT of gain, but it gets noisy.. imho if you're recording brutal stuff, use the shure. though i can't help you with your sound :(