Vocal Recording

of course you can FORCE low end gear to work with lots of EQ and processing.

have fun guys, this just isn't the board for me. i'm not a hobbyist and don't identify with hobbyist musicians. i dedicate my life and my earnings to my craft.

signing off.

:Smokin:

I fully understand you. Sometimes I feel most of us here own horrible basement studios filled with free drum samples, free fake amp plugins, cracked midi bass programs and lazy mastering presets and still hope to sound like god, justifiying ourselves that every gear can sound good when we know it isn't true. You could know everything about mixing, but polishing bad sounding gear with EQ should not be an option. Most of us make this forum look like an amateur forum by giving away cheap answers. I have shitty gear wich I judge sounds like shit and I am far from getting that perfect sound that's in my head wich I don't want to be just passable and near mediocre due to fixing flaws and polishing bad sounding. There is still answers on this forum that are extremely valuable and this is why I keep roaming here in the search of tips and tricks I might still not know. About the mics, there is no wonderful, all around perfect microphone either, there is a microphone to every possible vocalist, but it's just not always the same! you need to switch between many mics sometimes before you find the one that works for your singer.

First, that's a huge bump of a dull post by someone who, as far as we can tell, was a complete wanker.

Second, there's a difference between 'non-high-end gear can sound good' and 'every gear can sound good', and nobody seems to actually be proposing the second.

Third, cost is neither necessary nor sufficient for quality, especially with software.

Fourth, all audio engineering is about working around constraints (poor musicians, imperfect rooms, clashing instruments... anything) and a universal constraint is going to be 'not having perfect gear' - the point of that thread detour was that the poster's gear (while certainly not perfect) was simply not the limiting factor in his mixes and he had better things to focus on than big numbers in gear catalogs.

Fifth... why do you presume to be speaking on behalf of so many people when on any given day you have *dozens* of people who have good studios (or at least home setups) cranking out high quality work and even 'hobbyists' who put professionals to shame? The forum is better off without the kind of wankery in the quoted post - several of the 'hobbyist musicians' he couldn't identify with simply kicked the shit out of any reasonable expectations, and I don't exactly recall hearing his top-notch mixes.

Jeff

whoot, entertaining at least.

old nonsense typical from the GS hiphop forum. Totally agree with JBroll.

give Picasso a simple pencil and expect only greatness. Art students here spend loads of cash in shit when they can't even draw a single line.

how many times have we seen crappy players with mega expensive gear sounding like crap?

I'm tired of listening to hilarious stuff here in my location recorded for thousands and thousands of euros just because the studio is having a new preamp or something.

you can have the most expensive pair of sneakers but any barefoot amateur basketball player will go over you in no time, man.

OT/ so funny when a friend of mine told me she was going to go to the most expensive (so the best, curious how people think) audio engineering academy here in Spain. I asked her, what albums have your teacher/s produced? No fucken idea.

People want the short way and just by spending cash they pretend to get what they're lookin for, not that easy