vst2 vs vst3

dani

beat defective
Sep 12, 2008
hey everyone,

almost at a point where i can beta test some plugins, but i'm starting to worry about this now - who here has a vst3 capable host?

steinberg no longer support vst2, they aren't making their SDK available for it anymore (although i'm sure i still have it somewhere). i assumed this meant that all the hosts support vst3. having just tried reaper, it would appear i was wrong - and they have no plans to support it either.

this puts me in a bit of a bind now, as i may have to port this back to the earlier SDK.

so, let me know how important vst2/3 is to you all :)

Has steinberg only canceled the SDK of vst2 or can't cubase 7 load vst2 plugins anymore too? I loved the fact that i can sort vst2 plugins in folders on my HDD as i like it and have the same structure in the host. I only used vst3 in cubase for a few compressors because of side chaining. I made the switch to reaper for some time and was a bit pissed by not supporting vst3. But because of the awesome routing capability i don't miss vst3 at the moment. So regarding reaper vst2 is very important to me =D

reaper supports vst3 just fine for me (i only have the latest slate stuff available in vst3)

sure it is the vst3 version? reaper doesn't show my vst3 plugins in the list. but since i installed reaper i didn't tried it again.

too bad..That's what I figured. I guess they only add support when vst2 is totally replaced and everyone is developing vst3 only..

hey everyone,

almost at a point where i can beta test some plugins, but i'm starting to worry about this now - who here has a vst3 capable host?

steinberg no longer support vst2, they aren't making their SDK available for it anymore (although i'm sure i still have it somewhere). i assumed this meant that all the hosts support vst3. having just tried reaper, it would appear i was wrong - and they have no plans to support it either.

this puts me in a bit of a bind now, as i may have to port this back to the earlier SDK.

so, let me know how important vst2/3 is to you all :)

There is a VST2 folder inside the VST3 SDK

Rail