Warhorse/Khanate/Thrones/Sigh

xfer

I JERK OFF TO ARCTOPUS
Nov 8, 2001
New York City
www.geocities.com
Saturday night I checked out the Warhorse/Khanate/Thrones/Sigh show in Boston, and it was pretty fuckin' great. The highlight of the night was definitely Khanate, who were sick as fuck. Upstairs at the Middle East is such a small venue it almost always makes for a stellar show.

Warhorse was decent, but a little slow (boring-slow, not speed-slow) for my tastes...meh, it's good stoner doom :). The Thrones were good and sound like they'd be really, <i>really</i> good on album. Sigh was Sigh, very professional, sounded neat, but unfortunately my ride didn't think so and we bounced before their last song.

In terms of the Boston scene, well, I saw members of Shadow's Fall, Long Winter's Stare, and Maudlin of the Well present, and I'm sure there were others I didn't see or speak with. I highly recommend Khanate, even if you have to put up with fans screaming along to "Pieces of Quiet" and covering up the singer's unbelievable vox because it's the only song with real tempo.

Khanate's extremity may be stomach-turning, but they're awesome :). It's really tough for me to get my brain around the shit they play, but when it works it really works.

Oh, I disagree--I think Khanate has enormous musical talent. In fact, everyone I went with was commenting how it we believed that Khanate was probably made up of all highly trained and supercompetent ex-music-school kids. It's just unconventional talent :).

I didn't get to stay for all of Sigh, because my brother/ride hates them and we were forced to compromise :). They hadn't played "Ecstatic Transformation" by the time I left which is the Sigh song I like the best right now (I haven't heard any of their albums all the way through, though).

Sigh's keyboards were mixed in really, really well.