Was I listening to the right Bathory?

I'll call it Odinistic my pals Metal.

Seriously, the genre classification of "Viking Metal" is such bullshit. It's based on lyrical themes and not the fucking music itself.

So hows college pengu? Drink much?
yeaaaaaaaaah. i'm a tank.

btw. one single most importantist rule of black metal. please remember it. it's not hard.
ready?

SATAN.

read some quorthon interviews. he mentioned how they left BM after black mark. when you start classifying genres based on what you *think*, then you start destroying the concept of classification. all genres have defining qualities which allow placement. i mean why the fuck am I explaining this shit. GET OFF YOUR HIGH FUCKING HORSE BEFORE I RAIN FUCKING BRIMSTONE FROM THE SKY AND INCINERATE YOU AND YOUR BELIEFS.

it seems you're all pissy about the music aspect. well, one other strong aspect of black metal.

tremolo picking

NON STOP.

there's the most clear fucking difference between viking and black right there, MUSICALLY. viking's got all these breaks and shit and sound epic. it's got vocal melodies. MELODIES, EVEN.

Well how's life going there? You never tell us much. What's your tank ratio anyway?
after last year I developed a sincere lack of interest in school. this year has been a bullshit extravaganza. I'm passing on D's now. probably failing this semester. found out I'm being evicted from residence over some really dumb shit (I told off a higherup because she didn't know how to do her own dipshit job properly and fairly). so, If I get some good work on the rigs, I'll drop out and pick up school next year or take a year off.
as for tank ratio, some of my highlights.

three two sixes over three days
ten pints in an hour (strong bow)
I took last week off school to stay with friends south of edmonton. downed about 5 or 6 two sixes in that time frame. over this period: stole a bench, a poster off someone's door, wore a ninja mask while causing trouble, tampered with toilets so water squirted at the user, had a bon fired which I apparently fell in and have no recollection, kissed a lot of people and made an awesome potato gun, drunkenly broke a door and set me back 300 bucks, had a waitress fall in love with me. last week was busy. my throat is still sore from tuesday when I last drank. oh, I also saw megadeth that night with sabbath and got a cold which prolonged this awful throat.

it seems you're all pissy about the music aspect. well, one other strong aspect of black metal.

tremolo picking

NON STOP.

there's the most clear fucking difference between viking and black right there, MUSICALLY. viking's got all these breaks and shit and sound epic. it's got vocal melodies. MELODIES, EVEN.

Tremolo picking is required in black metal non-stop? First I ever heard of that requirement.

BTW: Even Wikipedia agrees with me http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viking_metal

a 2-6 is a chord progresion that is made of the second chord and the sixth chord of the tonality in which the song is. by second and sixth i don't mean intervals. example here:
in the key of E minor a 2-6 would be:
F#dim-Cmaj
some bands to that just with powerchords like f#5 and c5

Tremolo picking is required in black metal non-stop? First I ever heard of that requirement.

BTW: Even Wikipedia agrees with me http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viking_metal
i really don't know where you're going here. if you trust wikipedia so much, check this out from the black metal page:

Black metal can contain, but is not limited to, the following characteristics:

[edit] Guitars

• Fast, highly distorted guitars played using alternate picking or tremolo picking.
  • Relatively thin or thick guitar tone — mid frequencies are typically absent, leaving solely the treble and bass; sometimes with the bass removed.
  • Pendulum strumming may be applied to fully voiced chords (usually minor) in a denser portion of a piece. The chords may also deliberately shift fully voiced minor barre chords up or down despite the applications suggested by music theory, such as E minor to C minor, which is usually avoided for its extreme dissonance.
  • Frequent use of chromatics, shifted up and down by semitones from a given central tonic to create an uneasy atmosphere (commonly featuring the tritone interval). There is also frequent altering of already established scales for a more dissonant, "evil" sound, such as the harmonic minor.
and that viking page seemed to agree with me, like, about quorthon mentioning the shift.

did you mean the paganism part. some aspects of paganism do involve satan. but that's complicated.

He mentions the shift... does that make me think Viking Metal is a musical genre? No. Just a lyrical genre.

Highly distorted guitars is a yes for black metal. I'll agree on that aspect. Everything else, no. Example: Drudkh's Autumn Aurora and Blood in our Wells.

I'm not sure how to continue the argument against Viking Metal being a musical genre, and just a lyrical genre... I guess the next step would be tossing out some names of bands highly considered Viking Metal, and having you tell me how they're different from X-Genre, other than lyrically...