Watershed: Are you disapointed with it?

I'm highly dissapointed that Derelict Herds was not a regular added song, made in higher quality. Its PERFECT for the albulm, and the experiance for me is kinda ruined, listening to the cd without it. Its almost as dissapointing as how Blackwater Park doesn't have Patterns 2 on it.

Well, the only thing that matters is that songs like Patterns in the ivy II exist, not where they exist.

Well Watershed has got me in to Opeth.....
I'd heard a few things by them and just dismissed it as something I didn't like but as soon as I heard Heir Apparent I was sold and my CD is almost worn out.

I'm also getting in to their back catalogue...

I was a little put off by Watershed for about 20 seconds. Then as the lyrics, rhythym and feel of the album came out, I was hooked. Sometimes though, I do find myself not in a mood that enjoys all of Watershed. I really do like the entire album though.

Watershed has sunk considerably in my opinion. I was ethustiastic at first, especially about 'The Lotus Eater', but this is the very first Opeth-album I have tired of. It's WAY too soft - the melodies are too sweet - it's like eating too much candy, and too little gravel.

At the moment it has reached the lowest position on my ranking (excluding 'Damnation'), with only "Heir Apparent" and "The Lotus Eater" still being listenable.

I sincerely hope Opeth's path will lead them to darker, heavier places in the future, and that I won't tire of the next album, because, c'mon, I have listened to Morningrise since 1996, and I still love it to death. Same with the other albums.

Watershed is, excuse me for saying it, I know I will get flamed to all hell for this, boring. At least, boring compared to their other albums.

I am still a hardcore OPETH fan though, I can't expect to like ALL their output, and so far the good far outweighs the bad. I *am* concerned about the next observation.

Looking forward to eight concerts in Norway :)

Well, Watershed shure cannot pass Still Life and Ghost Reveries, but otherwise it's a great album. Better than the D&D twins, slightly inferior to Blackwater Park but far better than the first three albums they did.

Watershed has sunk considerably in my opinion. I was ethustiastic at first, especially about 'The Lotus Eater', but this is the very first Opeth-album I have tired of. It's WAY too soft - the melodies are too sweet - it's like eating too much candy, and too little gravel.

At the moment it has reached the lowest position on my ranking (excluding 'Damnation'), with only "Heir Apparent" and "The Lotus Eater" still being listenable.

I sincerely hope Opeth's path will lead them to darker, heavier places in the future, and that I won't tire of the next album, because, c'mon, I have listened to Morningrise since 1996, and I still love it to death. Same with the other albums.

Watershed is, excuse me for saying it, I know I will get flamed to all hell for this, boring. At least, boring compared to their other albums.

I am still a hardcore OPETH fan though, I can't expect to like ALL their output, and so far the good far outweighs the bad. I *am* concerned about the next observation.

out of interest, did you enjoy ghost reveries? where does that one stand for you in their catalogue?

So essentially you're one of those "Opeth fans" that isn't really an Opeth fan but is metalhead that considers anything overly soft or progressive repulsive.

Especially as Slynt's comment is absolutely legit.

Being an Opeth fan doesn't mean you have to look dumb because you're just a sheep falling prey to sycophancy.

Watershed IS boring, for the most part at least, that is strictly my opinion, and I am obviously not the only one thinking so.

Especially as Slynt's comment is absolutely legit.

Being an Opeth fan doesn't mean you have to look dumb because you're just a sheep falling prey to sycophancy.

Watershed IS boring, for the most part at least, that is strictly my opinion, and I am obviously not the only one thinking so.

Watershed ISN't boring, for the most part at least, that is stricktl my opinion, and I am obviously not the only one thinking so.

So essentially you're one of those "Opeth fans" that isn't really an Opeth fan but is metalhead that considers anything overly soft or progressive repulsive.

*yawn* what a boring stereotypical peer pressure attempt to railroad someone into agreeing with you.

I can perfectly understand people's complaints about Watershed being too soft. For me, I think its a great album, not my favourite by Opeth, but its still got lots of spine tingling moments in it for me to love it. I like a lot of prog/ambient and other softer music outside of metal, as well as being a big death fan so I can appreciate this album quite a lot.

Fact is that there are plenty of Opeth fans who only like their heavier stuff, and lots who only like their softer side; thats why there's always so many arguments about it. No point slagging each other off for perfectly valid opinions.

I reckon their next observation will be heavy as fuck, and I hope it will be too.

Cool! Where did you get MAYH,SL,BWP,D&D and GR in 96? :lol:

Since it's the first album to feature Akesson and Axenrot, I think Opeth's sound has changed slightly. In an interview it was said that even though Mike writes most of the stuff, he gives the other guys a little creative room and they all hunker down to get it to sound good for everybody.

Since Akesson and Axenrot are simply not Lindgren and Lopez, Opeth's sound is destined to change slightly. Watershed feels more like a warm up to something grand.

Since Akesson and Axenrot are simply not Lindgren and Lopez, Opeth's sound is destined to change slightly. Watershed feels more like a warm up to something grand.

A warm up to something grand. I like! Maybe like Savern says, something heavy.

Haven't been disapointed by Opeth yet. I'll prob like it no mater what it is.:headbang:

Since it's the first album to feature Akesson and Axenrot, I think Opeth's sound has changed slightly. In an interview it was said that even though Mike writes most of the stuff, he gives the other guys a little creative room and they all hunker down to get it to sound good for everybody.

I was actually quite surprised that Opeth's sound didn't change that much between Ghost Reveries and Watershed. I did expect there to be some fast soloing and that there wouldn't be any ethnic percussions, and there weren't. However, I was surprised that I got into the "new" Opeth as fast as I did

I didn't have huge expectations for Watershed, and I was slightly suprised by how much I liked it. The varied layers of sound does diminish the overall "metalness" of the album, but I think it works well. Maybe its because I've been listening to so much Porcupine Tree lately, but I'm beginning to prefer layers of atmosphere over straight riffing. I think their next album will incorporate the Opeth riffing we all love with the new atmosphere they hinted at on Watershed.