watershed cover !

aren't you guys overanalyzing??? :p i never saw any deep symbolism in any of the album covers ... some nice references and contributions to the atmosphere of the album yes, but not filled with symbolism for sure!
this one the same, it sets an atmosphere, don't look for small details to attach meaning to!

I Agree

aren't you guys overanalyzing??? :p i never saw any deep symbolism in any of the album covers ... some nice references and contributions to the atmosphere of the album yes, but not filled with symbolism for sure!
this one the same, it sets an atmosphere, don't look for small details to attach meaning to!

How can you say that Travis Smith isn't adding symbolism to his work? It's just like any other painting, artists put symbolism in their work all the time. Just because it's on the cover of a metal album doesn't mean it's just a one-dimensional piece meant to look sufficiently "evil" or facilitate whatever atmosphere the album will have. Now with albums pre-Smith, I guess I can see what you're saying, but no one was eliciting deep symbolism from the Orchid and Morningrise covers anyways.

That is if we actually get the logo/album title on the cover this time around. For some reason album covers just look a little too plain without them... maybe it's just me and my pickiness. Either way, the Watershed cover just makes me excited to see what the rest of the artwork is like.

Yeah, I beg your pardon, but you've lost me. How do we not get the Logo or the album title on the cover, when both are right there, on the cover?

Confuzzled. o_O

I stared at it while finally listening to the studio of versions of Heir Apparent and Lotus Eater on their myspace page

Bastard!! :mad:

I think the cover's great..enlightening...the light against the dark is captivating, kinda like a flood of eureka shedding light onto something.

Btw it's not uncommon that artists would paint in small details (like an orange or two on the window sill) to allude to certain things relating to the overall topic/image on the canvas.

I felt it was time they tried something more like "Morningrise" but no,another boring one."GhostReveries" was ok but, uggh... it dont really matter......Opeth are not an arty/alternative sorta band.They are ment to be mentally appreciated.Im sure the new music is very deep and interesting and it prolly takes you to better places than the thoughts of how a cover of a cd should look.

liar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bastard!! :mad:

I think the cover's great..enlightening...the light against the dark is captivating, kinda like a flood of eureka shedding light onto something.

Btw it's not uncommon that artists would paint in small details (like an orange or two on the window sill) to allude to certain things relating to the overall topic/image on the canvas.

True that. The only symbolism I've ever thought about is the irony that Damnation is the soft clean album (with a light cover) whereas Deliverance is the heavy pounding twin (with a dark cover).

How can you say that Travis Smith isn't adding symbolism to his work? It's just like any other painting, artists put symbolism in their work all the time. Just because it's on the cover of a metal album doesn't mean it's just a one-dimensional piece meant to look sufficiently "evil" or facilitate whatever atmosphere the album will have. Now with albums pre-Smith, I guess I can see what you're saying, but no one was eliciting deep symbolism from the Orchid and Morningrise covers anyways.

Well, maybe it's time for a thread to reveal the symbolism in those other covers then ... cause I don't see any ...
Still Life: Melinda weeping - the christian cross - atmosphere building through visual means ... not much symbolism there, all pretty obvious
Blackwater Park: only atmosphere building ... no symbolism at all
Deliverance/Damnation: again, building up of creepy atmosphere by showing haunted interior of a house, with the darker version for the harder album and vice versa
Ghost Reveries: what symbolism can you possibly get out of that??

so, Travis Smith covers (also for other bands) are not filled with symbolism at all! Of course there are references and some things you may call symbols (although pretty obvious ones), but those are not what the artworks are about ... they are about contributing to the atmosphere of the albums ...

and yes, I don't put metal covers or Travis Smith his work on par with true artistic paintings. I mean, he is very good and makes really nice artwork, but don't start telling me that designing artwork is on the same level as the paintings you see in a museum or in artbooks ! ... if you say that, then you definitely need to learn more about art history !

Well, maybe it's time for a thread to reveal the symbolism in those other covers then ... cause I don't see any ...
Still Life: Melinda weeping - the christian cross - atmosphere building through visual means ... not much symbolism there, all pretty obvious
Blackwater Park: only atmosphere building ... no symbolism at all
Deliverance/Damnation: again, building up of creepy atmosphere by showing haunted interior of a house, with the darker version for the harder album and vice versa
Ghost Reveries: what symbolism can you possibly get out of that??

so, Travis Smith covers (also for other bands) are not filled with symbolism at all! Of course there are references and some things you may call symbols (although pretty obvious ones), but those are not what the artworks are about ... they are about contributing to the atmosphere of the albums ...

From Mike's blog:

Mikael Åkerfeldt said:
I basically just approved the final artwork for the regular edition of "Watershed". It looks stunning (to me) and the special edition (that comes out the same day) will look even more stunning. There’s so many hidden things, symbolism etc in there that it’s quite mind boggling!