Waves plugins?

Why is RVox so popular here? It seems very limited to me. Do you use it instead of comp/limiter chains?

It's just a really simple and transparent vocal compressor. I usually use it in addition to outboard compression and maybe other things depending on the style of music. Real easy to set, has a gate. Especially useful for background vocals and the like. You can just set it quick and move on.

If the vocals are a touch undercooked and you need them pinned and more in-your-face I can't really think of a plug-in better than RVox. Just throw it on and get the job done in about 20 seconds.

I used it for this very purpose earlier this week on a mix that was pushing over 130 tracks, where vocal compression amount was absolutely critical. I slightly undercooked the printed vocal tracks by not pinning them hard enough with my outboard. RVox did exactly what I needed it to with minimum fuss.

If i'm not mistaken Rvox uses the same algorithms as Rcomp. It just has fixed settings. Probably using the Vocal preset on Rcomp and changing the ratio more to the 8 to 1 range would yield similar results to Rvox.

If i'm not mistaken Rvox uses the same algorithms as Rcomp. It just has fixed settings. Probably using the Vocal preset on Rcomp and changing the ratio more to the 8 to 1 range would yield similar results to Rvox.

Rvox has also a gate and as far as I know It has no real threshold setting (for the compressor section). possibly both ratio and threshold are adjusted by amount of compression.

so i'm no pro, but with the sale going on i'm torn between getting some of the waves plugs (SSL, NLA, etc) or some slate plugs (VCC and VBC). i guess i'm looking for input from you all with which you prefer (and why)--don't really want to get "both" sets...just looking for input on if you had to get a couple of plugs...which would you?

fyi, i don't have many 3rd party plugins currently and running studio one pro v2 and sonarX2 (using s1 much more lately)

thanks in advance!