We Are Blessed...

MetalManCPA

Papa Opeth
May 19, 2001
Visit site
...to have found such an amazing band as Opeth. Call me a fanboy, but what I say is truely how I feel.

I was listening to some music last night, and I cycled through Deliverance, Demon of the Fall, and The Drapery Falls. Phenominal songs - but now when I listen to them, I have the live experience to draw back on, which makes the music even better. As more reviews of more Opeth concerts get posted, it's basically all the same. Any faults seem to be with the supporting acts and/or the venues. I was lucky - the venue @ Worcester was near perfect.

It honestly took a band 30+ years to dethrone my favorite, which since 1970 has always been Led Zeppelin. Now that Opeth has entered into its second year of being my favorite, I wonder if they can match Zeps 30 years as #1 on my list. From my vantage point today - signs point to yes.

Originally posted by Tindor
i hope they don't sell out

There's absolutely no way. They are way too talented of musicans to ever shift their focues to selling records. After last nights show I can say without a doubt that we are truely blessed to be able to witness such an awesome display of artistry.

Mikael has said that he would like to sell lots of records and make good money doing what he does. There's nothing wrong with that. It doesen't mean that they'll "sell out". Changing who you are to make money is selling out. Being popular is NOT. There is a difference, people.

But I also want to agree with MetalManCpa that I, too, feel incredible lucky to have discovered Opeth, getting to see them play live, and being able enjoy who they are and their music, which I feel a personal connection with. They are definitely my favorite band, and I listen to them over and over and over again. They're brilliant, inspiring, original, and damn nice guys too.

metalmancpa, dude... I FEEL EXACTLY THE SAME FUCKING WAY. after i went to last nite's frisco show, i just couldn't seem to find a way to express my feelings man. i too am an opeth FANATIC, and when i saw them live last nite, my entire life made sense. yes, that's how much their music and that experience ment to me. it's only tied with having unparalleled sex with someone you deeply care for.

my neck is so GODDAMN STIFF right now, it's not even funny man. i headbanged the entire time, and screamed, shouted, and sung every single fucking lyric. i was even playing air guitar the entire time, of course, with the actual knowledge of knowing the songs.

i discovered opeth over two years ago, and this was the first time i've seen them, and they are my favorite band. to me, they are simply the most understanding, talented, and gifted musicians to ever walk this earth. they are truly the all-time greats. before i listened to rock or metal, i was a classical musician; and as a pianist, i loved chopin, tzchacovsky, grieg, and beethoven. i mean, in time, opeth is simply the best. musically speaking it's brilliant work. i remember when i hated death metal and i was ignorant of what it meant. only now do i understand that it's truly an art form.

opeth is the ultimate form of art that can express and draw out emotions. and at their live show, it all spills out, and you can't help but fall in it and become apart of a sea of understanding.

Im a bit of an old timer also. I was stuck on the Metallica can do no wrong platform for 10 years. Then I discovered Iced Earth and the countless other non-mainstrem-non-nu metal bands. Opeth though I can't get out of my head or CD player. Seeing them live solidified it for me, that was the test. Im hooked and spreading the word!

Originally posted by Tindor
i hope they don't sell out

Never! Why?? because this band is allowed to what the fuck they want without pressures from publisher etc..

I will always look forward to an Opeth album :)