What's the difference between being a fanboy and loving a band?

MetalManCPA

Papa Opeth
May 19, 2001
Visit site
No matter how I slice it, currently I can say wholeheartedly that Opeth is, by far, my favorite band. And Ghost of Perdition and The Drapery Falls are my #1 and #2 favorite songs by any band.

I know a lot of people would call me a fanboy, but I certainly don't think I'm a fanboy for truthfully loving and admiring the music a band (Opeth in this case) puts out.

Does the fact that I have an Opeth pendent hanging in my car make me a fanboy? Does having an Opeth dogtag, an Opeth lapel pin, an Opeth black hoodie and a couple of t-shirts make me a fanboy? I honestly can't distinguish the difference in being dubbed a fanboy versus loving the music.

Could somebody please explain?

the fanboy is the one who can't take criticism of their beloved idol, and would praise them even if said action/release is something they would otherwise not praise, but they do anyway, because it's their idol. it's blind faith basically. that's the difference.

i'm an Opeth fan, but not a fanboy.

Opeth pendent hanging in my car make me a fanboy? Does having an Opeth dogtag, an Opeth lapel pin, an Opeth black hoodie and a couple of t-shirts make me a fanboy?
I have an Opeth pendant which never comes off my neck, a Opeth sticker on my car, Opeth shirts (wish I had more), etc, and of course LOVE Opeth... I don't really care what the hell people call me though.

Fanboys are also perceived as having a strong emotional attachment to the object of their devotion, often responding to negative remarks about it as though they were personal attacks. :lol:

i love wikipedia.

Here's another definition. True metal fans are people who judge bands on a combination of esoteric appeal and on the opinions of other more senior true metal fans in the hope of obtaining membership in an obscure elite clique. When a band gets popular, such as with Opeth, and a large number of mainstream, enthusiastic fans emerge, they become an object of derision. This despite the fact that most true metal fans were at one point themselves the fanboys of somebody.

Don't get me wrong, fanboys annoy me too, HAR HAR.

Kenneth R. said:
the fanboy is the one who can't take criticism of their beloved idol, and would praise them even if said action/release is something they would otherwise not praise, but they do anyway, because it's their idol. it's blind faith basically. that's the difference.

i'm an Opeth fan, but not a fanboy.

You can also say that you force yourself trying to like all musical influences of that band. I admitted; I used to be a hardcore U2 fanboy (still a fan) so I know how it goes.

Tubbs Mcgee said:
Holy shit! This thread made me realize I am a HUGE fanboy of Dream Theater. :erk:

I actually do like all of their albums though...

Even Octavarium? It's a little weak dont ya think?

I will define these terms as best I can.

Tr00: Often used in conjunction with "kvlt", tr00 means honest, real, not manufactured or transparent. Often bands labeled as "tr00" were genre pioneers, or have carried on the original intent of the music. Tr00 bands seek out musical quality rather than commercial appeal.

Kvlt: The term "kvlt" can be used with or without its partner tr00. To be "kvlt" means that the music is focused on the darker spiritual side of life; whether Satanic or pagan in nature, kvlt bands are often anti-Christian and occasionally will adopt the pentagram as a symbol or part of a symbol. Sometimes the pentagram has the Goat in the center.

Gr1m: A broader term encompassing music focusing on dark spiritual themes but also doom metal as well. Gr1m can refer to any metal that is depressive or melancholy, as well as referring to music with morbid themes, such as much black metal, much of which is also tr00 and kvlt.

At least, that is how I personally understand the terms. Please also note that these terms can be used ironically, to poke fun at a poser band.