What's the difference between being a fanboy and loving a band?

RDreamer said:
I will define these terms as best I can.

Tr00: Often used in conjunction with "kvlt", tr00 means honest, real, not manufactured or transparent. Often bands labeled as "tr00" were genre pioneers, or have carried on the original intent of the music. Tr00 bands seek out musical quality rather than commercial appeal.

Kvlt: The term "kvlt" can be used with or without its partner tr00. To be "kvlt" means that the music is focused on the darker spiritual side of life; whether Satanic or pagan in nature, kvlt bands are often anti-Christian and occasionally will adopt the pentagram as a symbol or part of a symbol. Sometimes the pentagram has the Goat in the center.

Gr1m: A broader term encompassing music focusing on dark spiritual themes but also doom metal as well. Gr1m can refer to any metal that is depressive or melancholy, as well as referring to music with morbid themes, such as much black metal, much of which is also tr00 and kvlt.

At least, that is how I personally understand the terms. Please also note that these terms can be used ironically, to poke fun at a poser band.

the way you define tr00 and kvlt have nothing to do with eachother. they aren't "partners" at all. they deal with different subjects...the intention of the music, and its theme.

also, i disgree with part of your definition of tr00. you say that bands labeled as "tr00" are genre pioneers. but also, bands that carry on the original intent of the music are "tr00". if by intent, you mean the intent of the genre pioneer, how can the follower be labeled "tr00" for the same reason. the word "tr00," by the actual definition of the word true should be used like defined by your first and last statements.

collected from what i have heard, my definition of the word "tr00" when used to describe music is the same as your third statement, that "tr00" bands carry out the original intent of the music. this is how sub-genre wars arise. this is why metalcore bands get made fun of because the style that they play is a fallacy. it is wanna-be metal, when really, it is a different style of music on its own. i hear so many elitists use "tr00" to insult a black metal band that uses well-polished production tactics. it is a very conservative way of looking at music, one that i think is wrong and can narrow the appreciation of all kinds of music.

Gr1m music is such that makes you take up the horgh position. This entails making a hard, angry face and raising your arms, mightily gripping invisible orbs. HARD. UNRELENTING.

JoeVice said:
yah man, personally identifying with any of those is much like fanboyism.

nobody fucking does personally identify with these, they are used 99% of the time by idiots who dont get black metal to deride some fantastical idea they have of the black metal fan

Tubbs Mcgee said:
Holy shit! This thread made me realize I am a HUGE fanboy of Dream Theater. :erk:

I actually do like all of their albums though...

OMG, Tubbs... How could you not have realized before? I thought you were the chief Dream Theater fanboy or something....:rolleyes:

If being a fanboy makes you happy, I don't see what the problem is. Fanboys at least are about love and not denigration like the cynics... I can handle that. I'd rather spend my time with positive people, it makes life more enjoyable.

Spectacular Views said:
nobody fucking does personally identify with these, they are used 99% of the time by idiots who dont get black metal to deride some fantastical idea they have of the black metal fan

well, i think that when its used that way, it is somewhat of a joke...what i meant is that sometimes the black metal fan takes offense to that and calls that person a fucking idiot, not as a comeback to the joke, but as a personal attack.

Does this mean that if somebody asks me about Opeth, and I say they are the best band on the planet bar none (and I mean it), am I a fan boy?

Was I a fanboy when I soent an afternoon in a radio station with Lacuna Coil, stood front row for their concert that night and had a drum stick tossed to me at the end, and then I waited for Christina Scabbia after the show just to talk with her (for an hour)?

MetalManCPA said:
Does this mean that if somebody asks me about Opeth, and I say they are the best band on the planet bar none (and I mean it), am I a fan boy?

Was I a fanboy when I soent an afternoon in a radio station with Lacuna Coil, stood front row for their concert that night and had a drum stick tossed to me at the end, and then I waited for Christina Scabbia after the show just to talk with her (for an hour)?

yah, but i wouldn't get caught up in worrying about it.

Fanboys don't care as much about the music as normal fans cause even if the music objectively sucked, they still would be devoted to them. Yes, music can be judged objectively, bitches.

The Poona of Peshwa said:
Here's another definition. True metal fans are people who judge bands on a combination of esoteric appeal and on the opinions of other more senior true metal fans in the hope of obtaining membership in an obscure elite clique. When a band gets popular, such as with Opeth, and a large number of mainstream, enthusiastic fans emerge, they become an object of derision. This despite the fact that most true metal fans were at one point themselves the fanboys of somebody.

Don't get me wrong, fanboys annoy me too, HAR HAR.

Not a truer word has ever been written on this board.

Someone said it best before when they mentioned having to like all influences of the band. Similarly with Opeth, you guys like anything Steve Wilson, Porcupine Tree, Katatonia, Bloodbath, etc does pretty much because they havea relation to Opeth. I personally knew about Porcupine Tree before I knew of their involvement with Opeth, but I really wouldnt have cared.

I border on fanboyism with Devin Townsend. I idolize is music and feel as though he is a genious (who doesnt feel this way about their favorite band?), but I do accept it when people dont like him.