What albums mark a sad moment in metal?

Illud Divinum Insanus

after a few days and several listens trying to like it, i broke the cd in half with my bare hands

Last edited:
Reactions: Onder
Illud Divinum Insanus

after a few days and several listens trying to like it, i broke the cd in half with my bare hands

The way that you typed this makes it sound like it's supposed to be a feat of great strength.

Reactions: CiG and arg
Illud Divinum Insanus

I can empathise with your anguish. My friend and I smashed and burnt Type O Negative's abomination 'Dead Again' in an impromptu cleansing ritual where we hoped the flames would remove any residual phantasm of the album from his property.

Reactions: arg
I always considered Helloween - Keeper of the Seven Keys: Part II to be a bittersweet moment in metal. It was always hit or miss with Helloween, but when they hit it, they nail it. I always thought that Part I would be the beginning of their upswing into stardom, since they finally found the right singer and Kai/Weikath were really starting to gel. However, Kai had become disillusioned with Helloween for some reason. I think that is one of the reasons why Part II wasn't as good as it could have been. You can see Weikath trying to make up the difference, and hats off to him for songs like "Dr. Stein" and "We've Got the Right". Even the title track shows great promise. If Kai had been more integral to the album, they could have really had something there. However, Kai decided to leave the band and Helloween has never been the same. I always wondered what the Kai/Kiske/Weikath trio could have accomplished if they had stuck together.

Last edited:
exiiit liiight, enter niiiiight. What do you want, the best chorus in the history of metal. Some solid songwriting on there.

Those lyrics are dumb.

I've only ever thrown out one metal album.

St. Anger.

Not because it was a bad album , which it is , but because it was pretty much the soundtrack to the band unraveling and struggling for a means to stay relevant and failing. People may argue that the Black album marks the turning point of Metallica and that may be true to some extent but love it or hate it you can't deny the significance of that album and although some folks hate Load it was damned successful entrance into the hard rock arena. True, it was a commercial effort but you can tell they were being influenced by peers like Scott Reeder and Pepper Keenan , however so slightly, and singles from that album kept the giants standing. St. Anger though....after that , all the money and success in the world couldn't change the fact that they had finally shown fatal flaws in their armor. The kings of metal were dead.

Great thread by the way!

Reactions: requiem
Load and Reload aren't sad at all. By that time they had already cemented their fate. No, the real sadness was the release of The Black Album. Horrible day in the history of heavy metal.

This is just completely wrong on so many levels. The Black Album is a love or hate album, there are just as many old school Metallica fans that love that album as there are that hate it. Anyone that was around att can tell you the same thing. Load was clearly the biggest departure(or complete abandonment) from their sound and that's when just about all of their old school fans had enough and stopped listening to them altogether. That cant even be argued. And this is no secret either, it happened with just about everyone i knew that listened to Metallica back then, or at least were big fans of the band

Last edited:
This is just completely wrong on so many levels. The Black Album is a love or hate album, there are just as many old school Metallica fans that love that album as there are that hate it. Anyone that was around att can tell you the same thing. Load was clearly the biggest departure(or complete abandonment) from their sound and that's when just about all of their old school fans had enough and stopped listening to them altogether. That cant even be argued. And this is no secret either, it happened with just about everyone i knew that listened to Metallica back then, or at least were big fans of the band

Yeah I loved the Black Album when it first came out, but it has definitely declined over time for me. I don't see why people knock it so hard though. It's basically Metallica's version of Countdown to Extinction or something. More midpaced, chorus based, still some thrasy riffs here and there. Don't Tread on Me was the shit back then, and Nothing Else Matters got me interested in acoustic guitar for the first time. Wherever I May Roam deserves a mention.

I stopped listening at Load also. Didn't even buy the album.

Last edited: