What albums mark a sad moment in metal?

The problem with The Black Album for me was that it was so obviously the point where they decided they wanted to be a commercial band. There is a marked decline in the quality of songwriting & lyrics from Justice For All. When it came out I still had the utmost respect for the band even though I'd moved on to heavier things, because they had kept it real and not compromised their sound or integrity. It's like they lost their inspiration, so they just decided to focus on big production and cheesy choruses instead.

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
another tragic metallica-related thing that happened is everyone shat all over the production of ...AND JUSTICE FOR ALL even though it's one of the most unique and atmospheric sounding albums ever (musically as well), and hardly anyone bothered exploring that sound any further after.

I thought the thread meant personal sad moments that we've experienced. I misunderstood.

And I was 7 bitch.

Also, Metallica died after Ride the Lightning. Master of Puppets is alright but AJFA is boring. I don't give a shit about the rest of their career. It should have been Lars instead of Cliff.

Reactions: CiG
if AJFA was way more concise it'd be my favourite 'tallica by a landslide, and an all time favourite album. it is idiotically repetitive and messy tho

I was 15 when Jugulator released and I knew it sucked even then.

I don't see how Master of Puppets is any different from Ride the Lightning. It's basically a continuation of the same sound. AJFA they started to change but it was still very similar.

I don't see how Master of Puppets is any different from Ride the Lightning. It's basically a continuation of the same sound. AJFA they started to change but it was still very similar.

Nah. They still sounded somewhat raw on RtL. MoP is where they began to "experiment" with their sound and started stretching their songs past the 7 minute mark. Their first 5 all sound quite different from each other imo.

I thought the thread meant personal sad moments that we've experienced. I misunderstood.

For some of us it's both.

Last edited:
i agree. they're about as different from each other as they could be while still being distinctively the same band, not unlike the first few slayer albums.

MoP is my least favourite of the first 4, but i love the first three songs. it isn't necessarily my favourite but i think the title track may be the most 'perfect' song they ever wrote.

RtL and MoP are the classic "Metallica" sound to me. They sound very similar, when I think of Metallica I think of those albums. Kill 'Em All is sort of an underdeveloped, spotty album imo. It has some high points, but doesn't sound fully like Metallica yet. AJFA are where they started to get political and long winded, a bit more chorusy, playing on the grammys etc. I love AJFA though, especially the title track. It might be their most "progressive" album if they ever did such a thing.

Actually I agree with @Baroque on that one. MOP and RTL are very, very similar in sound.

AJFA is still their peak though.

And Load is damn fine when you look at it from a "this isn't Metallica" perspective. Seriously, listen to the riffs. A lot of them sound like stuff Tony Iommi could have cranked out, and you are on some hard fucking drugs if you disagree.

St. Anger has a couple semi-okay songs.

All other Metallica (any Metallica I did not mention) blows.

Reactions: Dak and Baroque
1990-cowboys-from-hell.jpg

Fuck you.

Prepare yourselves...

The release of Metallica Load.
Truly two of the saddest moments in metal history.

Fuck you.

Vektor - "Black Future"

Shit was AIDS

Outer Isolation is better anyway.

Dead Again is good

You're cool.

Reactions: suckerleaf
Actually I agree with @Baroque on that one. MOP and RTL are very, very similar in sound.

And Load is damn fine when you look at it from a "this isn't Metallica" perspective. Seriously, listen to the riffs. A lot of them sound like stuff Tony Iommi could have cranked out, and you are on some hard fucking drugs if you disagree.

So you're saying St Anger and Load are better than Kill Em All?

Reactions: Baroque

You're out of your mind.

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
i will always love LOAD, haha.

i'm not denying there are various similarities in sound across RTL and MoP but the atmosphere is very different. i don't think you can point to any pair of albums as their 'signature sound', all their first five are instantly recognisable as metallica and have a ton of their signature elements, while also having distinct identities from one another. i never felt that they repeated themselves, which is a good and unusual thing in thrash.

Glad to see some other people that share the opinion that Master of Puppets isn't that great, people seem to worship that album as if it's some paragon of metal.

Although the atmosphere is different to Ride the Lightning, the structuring is very similar. They both open with the acoustic intro into high speed thrashers and then on to the extended title tracks and they both have the balladish tracks and the instrumentals. For me, MoP feels like a rehash of RtL but worse in pretty much every way.

For me, Metallica will always be a band that made stabs at greatness on their first four albums, while often being bogged down by much weaker material on those same albums. They're pretty overrated, but I think those albums are mandatory listening for an introductory metalhead who wants to explore thrash metal.

I haven't listened to them in years.

Metallica was my favorite band for about 6-8 years. All through junior high and high school, I was obsessed with the band. I hardly ever listen to the band now, but once in a while I'll pull out RTL or something and it hits the spot. It helps me remember why I listened to the band in the first place.