What albums mark a sad moment in metal?

How to listen to Amorphis:

1. Listen to Privilege of Evil.
2. Listen to The Karelian Isthmus.
3. You're done. The band broke up after that.

Reactions: The Butt and Onder
I've kept some pretty 'true' company in various places over the years and I've never, never, seen a group of people in a row like that claiming in so many words that Tales from the Thousand Lakes was their jump the shark moment and the negative turning point for the band.

It's like I've woken up this morning into an alternate reality where true heavy metal and proto-thrash have taken over the world, the Olympics are corrupt and Donald Trump is about to get into the White House...

Technical Barbarity, stop trolling.

Really? Does that come to you as some kind of surprise? Most people i know will agree with me that The Karelian Isthmus is by far and away their best album. I'd rather listen to that over the ho-hum Tales any day of the week.

An no, Donald Trump is not going to get into the white house.

Last edited:
@requiem

We are a unique community and stubborn as fuck. You'll get used to it or leave. I'm not saying you should, no offense intended, but that's the way it's always been here.

Really? Does that come to you as some kind of surprise? Most people i know will agree with me that The Karelian Isthmus is by far and away their best album. I'd rather listen to that over the ho-hum Tales any day of the week.

Until now I've not met many I can recall who thinks that, TB, hence my post. There's an Amorphis forum on this site - go check it out to see what your average Amorphis fan thinks. That's more in line with my experiences. I guess we just 'know' different people.

At the end of the day I don't mind what you all like Krow. I'm long enough in the tooth to handle a bit of diversity.

Until now I've not met many I can recall who thinks that, TB, hence my post. There's an Amorphis forum on this site - go check it out to see what your average Amorphis fan thinks. That's more in line with my experiences. I guess we just 'know' different people.

At the end of the day I don't mind what you all like Krow. I'm long enough in the tooth to handle a bit of diversity.

Yea well most "amorphis fans" clearly favor their later sound. Most fans of that said sound dont share the same similarities in musical taste as me. They like their death metal watered down and easily "accessible". Trust me, i know the average Amorphis fanboi isnt going to pick TKI as their fav.

I think Tales is massively overrated. There hasnt been a single time that i've spun that album and not got bored with it. I think some of their later albums are even better.

Last edited:
Yea well most "amorphis fans" clearly favor their later sound. Most fans of that said sound dont share the same similarities in musical taste as me. They like their death metal watered down and easily "accessible". Trust me, i know the average Amorphis fanboi isnt going to pick TKI as their fav.

I think Tales is massively overrated. There hasnt been a single time that i've spun that album and not got bored with it. I think some of their later albums are even better.

Yep, I agree with everything here (except the overrated part). What you say rings true.

i've been on a few underground boards over the years and all the DM-heads always fellate THE KARELIAN ISTHMUS and to an extent the EP and sophomore, nothing after that. it isn't unique to this board at all. it should be obvious that later amorphis isn't our thing anyway lol. also keep in mind when a few of us started posting here they only had 5 albums (depressingly) or so and probably had nothing like the same fanbase they have now.

Albums that mark a sad moment in metal:

71ScD5gRleL._SL1200_.jpg