What albums mark a sad moment in metal?

Jar of Flies is a great release but Dirt is their masterpiece. It is also close to being perfect in its structure and flow, from the one-two opening of Them Bones and Dam That River to Rooster in the middle, then the melancholy Down in a Hole to finish with Would?, it's just incredible.

My favourite EP of all time is Black Winter Day by Amorphis. Everyone go and listen to it immediately.

Emperor - IX Equilibrium. I actually like this album, but the overproduced sound alone separated it from its forbears. Not on the same plane basically. When I listen to Anthems I'm on another planet.
I agree. I was really disappointed when this came out. I put it on the other day incidentally after several years of it collecting dust and I took it off again after about three or four songs.
Another case of a band 'growing' in the wrong way.

If we are talking Amorphis I'd rather listen to Privilege of Evil.

It's a cool release for sure, but laughably inadequate compared to the Black Winter Day EP. The Kalevala tales, the melodies, the unrepeatable sonic grandeur, not to mention the iconic album sleeve. Privilege of Evil is a cool group of kids making a racket in their garage and holds little more than a curious footnote for me. Even the middling The Karelian Isthmus is way better than Privilege of Evil. Anyway that's my two cents but I'm obsessed with Tales era Amorphis so I'm hardly in a position of neutrality. I'm definitely right though.

Even the middling The Karelian Isthmus is way better than Privilege of Evil.

No way! As much as I love The Karelian Isthmus, Privilege of Evil is seminal Finnish death metal, up there with the likes of Demigod, Demilich and Adramelech imo. It's intensely dark and foreboding with perfectly rotten production. Stuff like this is more than just kids making a racket:

Reactions: CiG
No way! As much as I love The Karelian Isthmus, Privilege of Evil is seminal Finnish death metal, up there with the likes of Demigod, Demilich and Adramelech imo. It's intensely dark and foreboding with perfectly rotten production. Stuff like this is more than just kids making a racket:

Dude, you're called Slayed Necros for crying out loud, of course you love this stuff! Although I admit I may have been uncharitable with my "kids/racket" comment and I withdraw it unequivocally.

Technical Barbarity, stop trolling.

Reactions: Slayed Necros
oh yeah like JAR OF FLIES has got shit on this
1.jpeg
Well, that is some total bad assery...

+1 for PRIVILEGE OF EVIL, i used to get a lot of shit for that opinion when this entire board was fellating THE KARELIAN ISTHMUS. i don't really like any amorphis albums much (i've heard all of them up to SILENT WATERS).