What albums mark a sad moment in metal?

I used to love Nirvana back when I was 12 to about 14, and I had a Nevermind shirt etc. Kurt died when I was 14 and I couldn't believe it. First rock star death for me. Then every kid in school was suddenly a Nirvana fan and I moved on. Listening to Nirvana now I have to say they're pretty overrated. They're kind of boring, at least compared to Pearl Jam and certain Alice in Chains.

He just has a shit voice. Annoying even.

They all sang like that though. It was the era of nasal sounding male singers. Vedder, Staley, Weiland etc all twanging it out there to various degrees. Someone did a satire on it - was it South Park years ago?

Alice in Chains were metal. It is hard to listen to a song like "We Die Young" and think anything different. They were just influenced by the grunge scene at the time.

Pearl Jam actually has a decent guitarist, but the band truly sucks. Can't stand that singer.

Nirvana was just annoying.

Nirvana isn't very interesting to me but both Alice in Chains and Soundgarden are awsome imo.

I don't really consider either metal but they definitely have songs that are metal or very metal influenced.

Nirvana is probably the most overrated of the grunge acts, since a lot of Cobain acolytes think that he invented grunge despite being one of the later arrivals to the scene. They have a few good moments.

Soundgarden's early music is probably the best thing to come out of grunge and also the most metallic. Alice in Chains have their moments too.

Pearl Jam is pretty overrated. I've always vastly preferred Mother Love Bone. Andrew Wood was very charismatic and loveable.

honestly give me grunge-related bands like mudhoney, the jesus lizard, green river, screaming trees, tad, babes in toyland, l7 etc over the 'big four'. hell, give me HOLE over any of 'em, too.

to be fair i do love nirvana an awful lot, but it's hard to tell where nostalgia ends and quality begins. if i came to them for the first time now maybe i'd like BLEACH best? 'drain you' is one of my favourite songs ever but i couldn't tell you why. soundgarden peaked with the SCREAMING LIFE EP, alice in chains had good songs here and there but i don't really rate any of their albums as a whole, pearl jam can fuck right off.

Reactions: JontRevolting
I dunno if you consider the Smashing Pumpkins grunge but they'd be my favourites all though I haven't listened to them in a longtime. I really liked that band but I dunno how I'd go listening to them nowadays.

Reactions: The Butt
honestly give me grunge-related bands like mudhoney, the jesus lizard, green river, screaming trees, tad, babes in toyland, l7 etc over the 'big four'.
L7 rule and not just for tampon chucking and whoring out their drummer. I'd rank Bricks are Heavy pretty much any album from any of the big grunge names save for Alice in Chains who were always the pinnacle of the Seattle bands for me.

Reactions: CiG
Yeah it was South Park, ha ha.

I guess they all morphed into Nickelback eventually.
With Hootie And The Blowfish and Creed along the way.

They all sang like that though. It was the era of nasal sounding male singers. Vedder, Staley, Weiland etc all twanging it out there to various degrees. Someone did a satire on it - was it South Park years ago?
Vedder was easily the worst offender.