What are some of the greatest atmospheric, droney BM bands?

batmura

Sea of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2001
www.seaoftranquility.org
I also absolutely love Ulver's Bergtatt, but it doesn't have to be that acoustic.

I'm more after mid-tempo or even slowed-down BM with cool droney, repetitive riffs, tortured vocals, etc.

Name bands and titles please. And give me some description.

later burzum (but not the casio shit obviously), drudkh (especially their first one), darkthrone circa transilvanian hunger era, uhhhh idk

I guess what the original post refers to is more minimalistic, almost noisy and dreary Black Metal, a Black Metal vein of Funeral Doom (which does exist):

- Mar de Grises is Avantgarde Doom, not droney Black Metal. It has no relation to Black Metal at all.

- as for Drudkh, while being a fantastic Black Metal band, I don't agree with their inclusion here. They are not minimalistic nor droney in their execution at all. They have little to no noise aspect either.

Burzum's Filosofem probably kicked the minimal Black Metal style off due to Vikernes using a broken mic on the recording, followed by Xasthur (all works), Nortt (albeit Nortt has become more Doom than Black Metal now), but the first 3 demos are remarkable releases of minimal Funeral "Black" Doom, Blut Aus Nord, MGLA in *some* aspects (mainly because of production and fast repetitive chords). There are also some other, much lesser known bands, but I'll have to dig those up when I get home from work.

As for tortured vocals, well, you can't go wrong with either Burzum or Weakling (although Weakling is not minimalistic at all, it's simple, but has complexity too).

As a summary, I would advise starting off with Burzum's Filosofem, working your way into Xasthur, and then spreading out from there. I'll dig up the other bands when I get home...

Ah yes, I just remembered the other band I wanted to suggest:

Life Neglected: a similar vein to Xasthur, but not quite as "noisy" as it has more form.

The first demo "The Fall of Man" isn't bad, it has some good ideas. If the band sticks around and releases something fuller, it could be interesting.

Mgla rules. As do Nortt and Xasthur.

Definitely look into Hate Forest - Battlefields. It has a militaristic sound all the way through with timpani and bells replacing most of the drums. The pacing and riffs are pretty doomy.

While Leviathan (US) is usually pretty varied and melodic, you should check out the material on the Leviathan/Xasthur split. It's more repetitive than anything else from the band. Awesome ambient sections, and some of the best tortured-sounding BM vocals there are.