What bands are pushing the limits of Black Metal?

Guardian of Darkness said:
Pffft. Like the other two, you mean? I honestly can't understand why Dissection get more credit than Necrophobic or Sacramentum, even by mainstream communities. They're blatantly inferior.
Really? If you want to break it down, Dissection just about beats Necrophobic (I'm ignoring Sacramentum as, whilst they're good, I haven't listened to them enough to pass comment). Dissection has that icy atmosphere, and Necrophobic's lyrics are bad (and I don't usually take particular notice of lyrics). Well, they're almost equal, but to call Dissection 'blatently inferior' is absurd.

It's pretty good bearing in mind it's just two older tracks that never got released. Overflowing with Tolkien samples...

If you want it, PM me your address and i'll stick it in the post when i get the chance.

While Dissection's two albums are decent(The Somberlain being the best), Necrophobic's The Nocturnal Silence is a notch above them both, as is Sacramentum's Far Away From The Sun. With that said, no other release by Necrophobic or Sacramentum is anywhere near the standards of The Somberlain. On another note, i'm interested in hearing the new Dissection, but i'm not expecting much.

Perdition's Light said:
I'd like to say greetings to you all as this is my first post. :wave:

Anyways, in your opinion, what bands are pushing the boundaries (be it aesthetic, atmosphere, production, whatever) of BM to create something somewhat original in a cluttered genre with a lot of mediocre bands. Don't get me wrong, I love the traditional BM sound, I'm just burned out on the lack of variety I've been hearing. Please give me suggestions.

(I really like the new Blut Aus Nord CD, and find it very atmospheric and inspiring that's what made me think about this)

In reference to your post I would recommend anything from the Ukraine...pretty much anything from eastern europe if you are looking for "quailty black metal"...their's always the Polish glory days to fall back on...some great hordes went sorely overlooked in the 90's...pitty...

Some bands you might want to scope out:

ASTROFAES
DUB BUK
DRUDKH
Early NOKTURNAL MORTUM
WARHEAD
HATE FOREST
LUCIFUGUM

Somberlain said:
While Dissection's two albums are decent(The Somberlain being the best), Necrophobic's The Nocturnal Silence is a notch above them both, as is Sacramentum's Far Away From The Sun. With that said, no other release by Necrophobic or Sacramentum is anywhere near the standards of The Somberlain. On another note, i'm interested in hearing the new Dissection, but i'm not expecting much.

Why are we forgetting Unanimated? :erk: Another totally underground band from Sweden that went sorely overlooked...pitty... :ill:

Somberlain said:
I never forgot about Unanimated, I love the band. Ancient God of Evil is better than all the aforementioned albums and bands.

I think it would be more appropriate to say that it stands on its own two feet as a record...wouldn't you say?

I'm surprised (and glad) no one recommended Aborym. I guess I'm not the only one who thinks that they're a big pile of crap.

Somberlain said:
With that said, no other release by Necrophobic or Sacramentum is anywhere near the standards of The Somberlain.
I agree with that.

Too many bands have ripped off Dissection. That's another reason why they irritate me, I'm tired of that style being done the same way all the time.

The living Colour Joke is fucking rediculous...

pushing the boundaries, I have to agree with what has been said about Borknagar. And definetly Woods of Ypres. Get ahold of Against the Seasons and you'll see what I mean. Truly unique and fantastic.

Marksveld said:
The living Colour Joke is fucking rediculous...

pushing the boundaries, I have to agree with what has been said about Borknagar. And definetly Woods of Ypres. Get ahold of Against the Seasons and you'll see what I mean. Truly unique and fantastic.

If you like good raw melodic black then you'll definitely have a nitch for Feral Horde...

I meant that Dissection get more credit among those who own the Necrophobic and Sacramentum albums, though.

Maybe those bands seem less easy to get into. I know it took me a few listens to get something out of TNS.

I agree with that.

Too many bands have ripped off Dissection. That's another reason why they irritate me, I'm tired of that style being done the same way all the time.
In other words, you don't like Dissection partly because they were ahead of their time.

Worm-Infested Intestinal Tract said:
Maybe those bands seem less easy to get into. I know it took me a few listens to get something out of TNS.
The Nocturnal Silence is accessible enough to impress you after playing it once.

Int said:
In other words, you don't like Dissection partly because they were ahead of their time.
They started off a mediocre style and people lapped it up like it was magnificent, cloning it left, right and centre. I don't dislike the band for that reason, but hearing the style played by something like 1 in every 5 bands is irritating.

That said, SOTLB can hardly be credited as "Dissection's style". There's lots of Maidenisms and Necrophobic-cloning in SOTLB. And the atmosphere of that album is too Gothenburgy to be icy.

The Somberlain is a more atmospheric, less derivative release, but Far Away From The Sun is about ten times more harmonically beautiful and sophisticated. TS is tame in comparison.