So ... what is the "future" of the metal underground?

Curseofcorruption said:
i t has been quite awhile since ive heard a tune that stays with my like Meshuggahs New millenium cyanide christ.

but, as i wait on my Iron throne of corruption, i feel the fires forging a new metal to again push the envelope of songwriting in this genre.....

think "In flames" ppl lol..... :hotjump:

i dont get this either.

but the difference between meshuggah and in flames is meshuggah never wrote anything decent ....

I have noticed that many black metal fans and bands are turning toward ritual noise and ambient.
I think it would be great and at least rather innovative to macke extreme metal with noise influence. Noise by itsself can become boring and only works in the right mood, if at all. But adding more expressionism and breaking of structure to extreme metal could be a benefit.
It is hard to describe what i am talking about, but maybe you understand me...
What i mean is, for example, moments of silence in the music, changing of speed, breaking out of the normal riff-repetition and doing something "unexpected", "expressive", ...
An example would be the moment of Burzum's Spell of Destruction, were the music ebbs down and we hear varg screaming tormentedly.
Maybe this reads as if i were just suggesting "elements" and it might seem like novelty or "let's make another bastard-genre", but this is not what i mean.
What i am missing is a really effective combination of (for example) the "catchyness" of black metal (well, it is not catchy, but at least it has riffs/melody and a beat to cling to) with the expressive power and... non-linearity of Noise.

Freanan said:
I have noticed that many black metal fans and bands are turning toward ritual noise and ambient.
I think it would be great and at least rather innovative to macke extreme metal with noise influence. Noise by itsself can become boring and only works in the right mood, if at all. But adding more expressionism and breaking of structure to extreme metal could be a benefit.
It is hard to describe what i am talking about, but maybe you understand me...
What i mean is, for example, moments of silence in the music, changing of speed, breaking out of the normal riff-repetition and doing something "unexpected", "expressive", ...
An example would be the moment of Burzum's Spell of Destruction, were the music ebbs down and we hear varg screaming tormentedly.
Maybe this reads as if i were just suggesting "elements" and it might seem like novelty or "let's make another bastard-genre", but this is not what i mean.
What i am missing is a really effective combination of (for example) the "catchyness" of black metal (well, it is not catchy, but at least it has riffs/melody and a beat to cling to) with the expressive power and... non-linearity of Noise.
Sounds like Abruptum.

There's still a lot that can be done with Metal. Another "explosion" might be needed but the fact to say that it's dying and novelty is all that we'll have left is stupid. Even the technical death-head's will start to get bored with the music after awhile. Black Metal still has a lot that can be done with it as well as Progressive Metal of various types. I would be willing to say that just plain old Morbid Angel Death-Metal is on it's way down the tubes because it wasn't built in such a way to sustain innovation and growth without going out of the boundries of "Traditional Death Metal" but bands like Nightrage, Into Eternity, Zyklon, etc. are still doing pretty well.

Well, I guess we'll se in ten years from now weather or not I am right. It is hard to see it as it is happening, but I think death metal is beginning to transist into a new genre. It might just be called the xth wave of death metal, though.