What bands are pushing the limits of Black Metal?

No new Dimmu Borgir is anything special or innovative compositionally, no matter how much they tart it up by using an orchestra or other such gimmicks.

BloodStainedWalls said:
Yeah they are. TOO hectic though imo.
They're insane ! Their next album is supposed to be more technical, yet keeping the sound they have now. Can't wait to hear that...
But I agree, I can't stand listening to that band too often...

SculptedCold said:
Is there any black metal band that is truly doing something unquestionably unique with composition??
Unique? Not really....Summoning are perhaps closest to that. You don't have to be completely unique to innovate, though.

True dat.....I realised that soon after I posted that message. Almost no form of progression/evolution in any of the human arts or ideas develops as a completely new entity seperate from that which came before.

[ed] Summoning kick my butt. Gently. They're probably in my top ten all time fave bands now. :erk:

Summoning's later works are very original. Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame isn't even black metal; I don't know what I would classify it as, and I must admit that I don't like it very much.

Life Sucks said:
Summoning's later works are very original. Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame isn't even black metal; I don't know what I would classify it as, and I must admit that I don't like it very much.
I deem you uncool and below my station. :D

Why do so many people list average Nazi BM bands and claim they are pushing the limits of BM? The only thing they are pushing is a piece of shit.

henrikmain said:
His last works were the dark ambient records called Hardangervidda 1 and 2 and a couple of EPs.
I actually prefer these two EPs to the rest of his discography.

As for the threads question: Negura Bunget, Blut Aus Nord (latest), Deathspell Omega (latest), Astrofaes, and particularly Summoning come to mind when thinking of progression in the genre.

Haha, Anaal Nathrakh are progressing BM? How.

I'd say Blut Aus Nord, Borknagar, and some other more folky black metal bands are pushing the sounds of BM and reaching out to embrace other genres.

I don't care much for Dissection, I think they're overrated.

Deathspell Omega has the harshest, most evil production I've possibly ever heard :Spin:

anonymousnick2001 said:
I predict that the new Dissection album might be another forward push.
Pffft. Like the other two, you mean? I honestly can't understand why Dissection get more credit than Necrophobic or Sacramentum, even by mainstream communities. They're blatantly inferior.

I would say that Enslaved are doing incredibly innovative tings compositionally these days while somehow managing to stay well within the confines of black metal...I mean, there are parts of below the lights that sound like king crimson if they were fucked upo Norwegians, but segue into excellently done raw black metal.
I think the new Negura Bunget is pretty fucking great, and the packaging can't be beat.
I love summoning, but still hope that they will someday get a real drummer again, and real horns as well.

Guardian of Darkness said:
Pffft. Like the other two, you mean? I honestly can't understand why Dissection get more credit than Necrophobic or Sacramentum, even by mainstream communities. They're blatantly inferior.

Because they're more well known in the genre. I agree, 'The Nocturnal Silence' = very good, but it's just a lost classic that not many know about.