What are some of the greatest atmospheric, droney BM bands?

NineFeetUnderground said:
kenose? or is there an even newer one im not aware of?

(re: Blut Aus Nord): It is called "Mort", and extends from where "The Work Which Transforms God" left off. Quite a good album.

As for Deathspell Omega, the newest material, i.e. post Kenose is one song on the compilation called "Crushing The Holy Trinity" (an exceptional compilation too I might add, highly recommended).

The Hubster said:
Yeah... but its drone **doom**.
"I'm more after mid-tempo or even slowed-down BM with cool droney, repetitive riffs, tortured vocals"

black one fits his description perfectly, why do you always have to be such a perfectionist when talking about genres, its disgusting

The Hubster said:
I guess each to our own... I dont see it as the same record.

You didn't like The Work Which Transforms God?

yes, thats a good album but now that i think about it, the work has more twists and turns than mort, which seems predictable, more repetitive, and stripped down. except for track 5. its better than anything on the work in my opinion

Detric said:
"I'm more after mid-tempo or even slowed-down BM with cool droney, repetitive riffs, tortured vocals"

black one fits his description perfectly, why do you always have to be such a perfectionist when talking about genres, its disgusting

- its like comparing an apple to an orange. Mid tempo minimalistic Doom and mid tempo minimalistic Black Metal ARE NOT the same. Do you put oranges into your apple juice? No.

- I've noticed over the years that for some reason hardcore Opeth fans (ie this forum) have incredibly stupid conceptions of what Doom and it's related forms are or sound like. Its fucking annoying.

- Music is one of my biggest passions. I take it seriously, it's part of my enjoyment of it.

- I'm obsessive compulsive. Go figure.

Prognostic said:
yes, thats a good album but now that i think about it, the work has more twists and turns than mort, which seems predictable, more repetitive, and stripped down. except for track 5. its better than anything on the work in my opinion

Admittedly, I'm still yet to finish going through Mort properly.

Well there's a couple of ways to look at it I guess: our exposure to The Work Which Transforms God could have dulled our experiences of Mort. Had the previous been Mort, I'd say an opinion of Mort would be a different one.

The same could be said of Damnation and Ghost Reveries. I'm sure my perception/opinion on Ghost Reveries would be very different had I not ever come across Damnation.

It's not the easiest thing to do, for anybody, to judge a piece of work without comparisons to works before it. We'll do it with all forms of art, written, painted, musical, etc.

Is this the right way to judge an artists merits? Who can say?
** shrugs **

In some shops where I live you can buy really cheap tin cans... the only draw back is they have no labels on them and they are all put together.

So you could end up buying a tin of oranges, or a tin of dog food.

Just because something is unlabelled shouldn't discredit it, you may end up with something far superior if you chance it...

...or you could end up with dog food.

To me thats the joy of music.

Well with all the fucked up fruit and veg these days in supermarkets, you never know!

Black Metal tip of the day: Did you know tomatoes are injected with hormones while in transit from farms, so they ripen by the time they get to the supermarket?