What are some of the most stupid things you've heard "engineers" say?

Wrong.

That amount of bleed will be there whether the preamp is turned up to 3 or 10. All the preamp is doing is raising the level of everything hitting the microphone, equally. It does not magically increase the bleed.

I think either my post was written badly or you guys aren't understanding. I don't want to explain it either because it'll probably be a poor explanation anways. :lol:

AllanD said:
I think either my post was written badly or you guys aren't understanding. I don't want to explain it either because it'll probably be a poor explanation anways. :lol:

AllanD said:
It's true. If you're compensating for a soft hitting drummer by turning up the pre's, there's going to be more bleed.

Certainly a lot of room for misinterpretation there right? You said there'll be more bleed, truth is simply "no", there'll be more everything.

I was mainly addressing the idea that if the drummer hit hard, there would be less natural bleed in comparison to the drummer hitting soft and cranking the pre's. If you guys don't understand what I'm trying to say, there's really no further way to explain it.

I was mainly addressing the idea that if the drummer hit hard, there would be less natural bleed in comparison to the drummer hitting soft and cranking the pre's.

I don't think that needs to be explained around here, it's common sense.

The guy that was quoted as saying it didn't mean it like that, or at least I didn't come to that conclusion, hence why it was funny.

I was mainly addressing the idea that if the drummer hit hard, there would be less natural bleed in comparison to the drummer hitting soft and cranking the pre's. If you guys don't understand what I'm trying to say, there's really no further way to explain it.

The sound of a bicycle going backwards....

Nope. You said "it's true" to the statement that increasing gain increases bleed, I quoted you so you could read it yourself in case you misunderstood yourself. Just stop trying to justify it, we're all wrong at many points throughout our whole life dude :headbang:

Cranking pre's gain isnt the same as compressing the signal, the quiet parts wont come up to match the hard ones. It's a general level.

This thread was being quite funny until this

Back before I learned the arts of sound and mixing, a buddy of mine had this 'friend' who supposedly knew what he was doing when it came to tracking, right? I was 17 at the time, we were tracking our first EP for the band I was in at the time.
We told him that a large guitar sound was crucial on this record. Here's what he does:

For the guitars, he plugs us into a Madison halfstack (I hate the sound of Madisons, but he says they sound ultra brutal) and turns the treble, and mid to 3 and the bass to 9. I told him the tone sounds too bassy and uneven and he says it sounds better that
way because It'll be easier to mix in with the bass.
Then he places a shitty dynamic mic of some kind about 8-10 feet away from the speaker and assured us that key to achieving a large sound is ambiance in the recording.
at the time, i didn't know much about recording but I kept asking him "are you sure you can make this sound good?" and he just keep assuring us "yeah trust me, I've been doing this a while I know what I'm doing"

I recorded a whole song like this and then when he played it back I just left. it was that bad.

'This is called a smiley face EQ. You set this up on your front of house EQ, then chase the ringy frequencies on your channels.'

Why the fuck does every wannabe FOH guy do this? I mean damn if you had a problem with mids you could just scoop em. (I can't think of any time this would be appropriate) and boosting 60hz and 12000hz by 6db can't be good on those monitors.

Btw, how can I set things up so that whenever someone replies to my comment it will notify me? I always have to search user, type my name, read profile, scroll down to recent posts, and look through each to find out if someone has talked to me. Extremely time consuming and I often miss messages.:mad:

Btw, how can I set things up so that whenever someone replies to my comment it will notify me? I always have to search user, type my name, read profile, scroll down to recent posts, and look through each to find out if someone has talked to me. Extremely time consuming and I often miss messages.:mad:

Scroll up, Thread Tools, Subscribe to Thread. You can edit subscription settings in your user CP.

Scroll up, Thread Tools, Subscribe to Thread. You can edit subscription settings in your user CP.
I've been doing it manually this way. Maybe there is an auto function somewhere in the settings.

In default settings, every thread you post in is automatically subscribed to, you just go to "user cp" and you'll see any new posts to subscribed threads, if any.
This. Checked it out and it turns out automatic subscribing was turned off. Fixed. Thanks guys.

Oh yeah and the stupidest thing I've heard a so called "engineer" say... "I only do eq boost bc cuts are destructive and I don't wanna destruct the signal. You're gonna do that yourself when you run it into your amp."