What is the most beautiful, spine-tingling music you have ever heard?

Opeth - entire first four albums, "Hours of Wealth"
Aria - "Home", "Ave Maria", "Ebben", "Horizon", "Addio"
Eric Johnson - "When the Sun Meets the Sky" the long interlude, "Song for Lynette" and many others
3rd and the Mortal - "Sorrow", "Why so Lonely", "Neurosis" and others
Avrigus - "Dark Angels Descent", "Flesh", "Qliphoth"
Empyrium - "Waldpoesie" that riff that reminds me of the BRI riff, "Mourners", and others
Rapture - "Gallows", "Raintracks", "Silent Chrysalis Stage", "For the Ghosts of our Time" and many others
Katatonia - "Brave Murder Day" album, "Sounds of Decay" album, "Tonights Music" etc...

I would also include many Classical songs.

I especially enjoy certain Choir/Sacred Music pieces of the few that i have heard. I usually get the most spine tingling from these pieces. I would include several songs from an album called Gaudeamus - Early Music Sampler, including "Ave Regina Caelorum", "Ave Cuius Conceptio", "Angeli Archangeli".

There's a piece of modern classical music by Einojuhani Rautavaara entitled Cantus Arctica that is some of the most beautiful music I've ever heard. It paints a scene of a desolate winter landscape, and has bird calls throughout the 3-part arrangement. Just exquisite.

I totally forgot to mention almost anything off of Eluvium's An Accidental Memory in Case of Death. A great album. But if I had to choose one song off that album, it would be The Well-Meaning Professor.

I could list so many great songs ... some more examples are "Nessun Dorma" by Puccini, "No Quarter" by Led Zep, "Human" by Goldfrapp, "Paff, der Zauberdrachen" sung by Lisa Wahlandt, but I want to address one song especially in this post:

"No one's Slave" written by Theo Simon.

I know that song in the version of UK/Australien folk hippies Kangaroo Moon and this is definitely one of my alltime favourite songs. Since the Kangaroo Moon version of this song is very hard to find, here's two links to other versions:

[ame]http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=nrHB8uAEv5c[/ame]

http://www.seizetheday.org/media/songs/itsYourLife/noOnesSlave.swf

The song is a kind of chant-like recital with some definitely philosophical/religious topic, so in a way it connects to the OP.

My obvious choice would be Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb, especially the second solo.

Then, several soundtracks, like Godfather's Theme, Cavatina, and 28 Weeks Later's theme song.

Dream Theater's Finally Free. It is a frightening, shocking, chilling song.

a few songs:

tori amos- gold dust, winter, virginia, time (tom waits cover), cloud on my tongue, 1000 oceans, etc...
eluvium- prelude for time feelers
sigur rós- saeglopur, glosoli, ara batur, vidrar vel til loftarasa, etc...
opeth- face of melinda
joni mitchell- little green
the beatles- golden slumbers, something
alice in chains- nutshell, frogs
pearl jam- black, oceans, given to fly, indifference, etc...
mother love bone- crown of thorns
nine inch nails- a warm place
pj harvey- grow grow grow
porcupine tree- lazarus
portishead- all
many more...

I fucking LOVE Alternative 4 and Judgement. These albums are dripping with emotion.

^ A big +1 :)

One band that has gone so unoticed are, "Turin Brakes."

Checkout the 1st 2 albums, "The Optomist" and "Ether Song."

The lyrics are really clever and cryptic! :lol:

A selection of youtube vids as an introduction...

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Turin+Brakes&search_type=&aq=-1&oq=

I hope you have speakers capable of re-producing good
deep bass cos it really plumbs the depths and articulates
on some of their songs, REALLY. :kickass:

Start with 'Underdog, save me' 'Average Man' and 'Clear
blue sky.'

Enjoy.

^ Do you even like anything besides Isis? :lol:

if the following bands can be considered "anything" then yes;
Sigur Rós
Army of the Pharaohs
The Roots
Jedi Mind Tricks
Kaki King
Feist
Enslaved
The Knife
Esoteric
Regina Spektor
Magyar Posse
Opeth
Imogen Heap
Leviathan
Primordial
Ahab
7L & Esoteric
The Angelic Process
Neurosis
Promise & The Monster
Iron & Wine
Meshuggah
Ulver
Russian Circles
Explosions in the Sky
Entombed
Empyrium
Matisyahu
Emperor
Eluvium
Darkthrone
dredg

What's good by regina spektor? I watched the commercial videos she had on youtube and all of the songs were bland piano singer-songwriter crap of the lowest order. I assume those were her singles and thus more "commercial," but at the same time there was just nothing innovative or interesting about them at all so I'm wondering what I should check out.

Imogen Heap is awesome though 10/10

Peter Gabriel - It Is Accomplished from the soundtrack Passion: Music for The Last Temptation of Christ.

I was with a friend of mine who owned the CD. He put it in but did not tell me what it was. I heard the song and it was so great ... uplifting, enlightening. And I told him: "This sounds like something great is coming. Like something's finished." He looked at me, surprised, and said: "You know what this song is about?" I said, "No idea." Then he told me. So, now you know what great music is. An instrumental piece which delivers the message straight to your heart, brain and consciousness.

What's good by regina spektor? I watched the commercial videos she had on youtube and all of the songs were bland piano singer-songwriter crap of the lowest order. I assume those were her singles and thus more "commercial," but at the same time there was just nothing innovative or interesting about them at all so I'm wondering what I should check out.

Imogen Heap is awesome though 10/10

You've probably heard mostly songs from her newest album, Begin to Hope. Her earlier albums = where it's at.

At the moment, I'm thinking Pictures of You by The Cure. The way Robert Smith sings the low 'looking so long at these pictures of you..' and then picks up the high again with 'there was nothing in the world, that I ever wanted more..' wow.

And the live version is even better.

As for Jeff Buckley mentions, I always find Mojo Pin's build up mindblowing, and his father Tim's 'Once I Was' may even surpass all of Jeff's work.

Special mention: Zamfir - The Lonely Shepherd

Non Opethian stuff:

Cooling, Datura, Black Dove, lots of others by Tori Amos
The Tourist and Videotape by Radiohead
Rachmaninov's Prelude Op. 23
Horowitz's version of Danse Macabre
Horowitz's version of Rakóczy March, No. 15 (un-fucking believable)
Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition
Under a Glass Moon by Dream Theater
The Old Ways by Loreena McKennitt
Fumbling Towards Ecstacy / Good Enough by Sarah McLachlan
Emperium by Machine Head
This Love by Pantera (those last four chords before the outro....sick)

As I get older, the list constantly changes... much of what I loved 10 years ago does almost nothing for me now... one of the many things that make music amazing.