What is the most beautiful, spine-tingling music you have ever heard?

Most of my truly "spine-tingling" moments occured at live shows, such as:

Stevie Ray Vaughan playing "Riviera Paradise" in '89 in New Orleans. It just never occurred to me before actually witnessing this that the blues could be played with this level of pure conviction, authority and heart-wrenching soul. One of the most perfect pieces of guitar music ever constructed, and a beautiful tip of the hat to Curtis Mayfield & Jimi. Stevie was an absolute witch!

Seeing Aretha Franklin at the top of her game at the N.O. Jazz Fest in the 80s. Fucking religious experience!

Being one of the 57,000 people singing "Wish You Were Here" at the top of their lungs at the 'Floyd concert in the Superdome in '94. I watched David Gilmour through the binocs just step away from the mic and let the crowd take over with this enormous, "it's-so-BLOODY-good-to-be-me" grin on his face... phenomenal!

Watching Queensryche at the top of their game blow Metallica off the stage in '89. This was NOT the band you wanted to take the stage after in 1989!

The hauntingly beautiful classical acoustic piece Eric Johnson played during the Ah Via Musicom show at the Florida Theater in Jacksonville. I've never heard this on any of EJ's records or any of the subsequent shows I've been to, but when he was finished, there were tears in many more eyes than just mine! I want him to personally play that piece at my funeral!

Joe Bonamassa's last show at the Florida Theater. Jeezus, this guy actually gets better every time I see him... unbelievable show in an equally unbelievable sounding venue. The undisputed king of modern blues.

Recorded moments would include:

Porcupine Tree - The Sky Moves Sideways (extended, 34-minute version on the remaster), truly amazing that this piece somehow still feels fresh and original despite all of its naked admiration of early Pink Floyd & King Crimson. Steven Wilson's genius as a composer and producer simply cannot be denied. Also, pretty much all of In Absentia and Deadwing qualifies as "spine-tingling" in my book ("Arriving Somewhere but Not Here" in particular)!

Franz Liszt - Un sospiro. I love Liszt, and this piece is easily one of his best ever.

Opeth - pretty much all of Still Life, BWP, 'Reveries & Watershed. A testament to Akerfeldt's own genius that you can't just listen to one Opeth song on any given record, you become so instantly engrossed that you almost compulsively have to listen to the whole thing!

Thelonious Monk Quartet with John Coltrane at Carnegie Hall. Pretty much take your pick on this one, legendary performance from two true legends! Personal highlights on this one: Evidence, Epistrophy & Sweet and Lovely.

Yngwie Malmsteen - Rising Force. I still remember where I was when I first heard this. Blew my fucking doors right off! Too bad Yngwie's yet to come even close to repeating it.

Van Halen I - I also remember where I was when I first heard this. (yeah, I'm fucking 40, blow me! lol) That kind of fire, authority and mile-high-wall-of-Marshalls tone was simply unheard of in 1978. The one guy who can rival Jimi Hendrix as the most revolutionary rock guitarist ever to pick up the instrument.

Pink Floyd - Animals. Do I have to pick just one song? Sheep, I guess... My favorite Floyd record by far.

Dream Theater - Awake. Remember how fucking great these guys were when they still wrote actual songs? "Voices" in particular still blows me away every time I hear it.

Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime. Brilliantly constructed and executed melodic metal. These guys SOOOOO miss Chris DeGarmo in the songwriting department...

So many more, but these are definitely the most awe-inspiring for me.

I feel truly sorry for anyone who has never been moved to tears by a brilliant piece of music. I can't even begin to imagine (nor would I want to!) what that must be like...

^ Excellent Post, Nice One. :)

I found a Yngwie Malmsteen video
tape at a charity shop yesterday
with the Rising force live gig recording.

Oh, for the princely sum of .39 uk pence. :kickass:

I can write down some albums by a few bands that really mean something to me:

Every album by Opeth (Especially Still Life)
Every album by Katatonia (Especially the first three)
Every Porcupine Tree album
Infinity - Devin Townsend
Alcest's stuff
Hvis Lyset Tar Oss - Burzum
Dark Medieval Times - Satyricon
Tusen år har gått... - Mörk Gryning
Altars of Madness - Morbid Angel
Every album by Agalloch
The first three albums by Bethlehem
Nattestid Ser Porten Vid - Taake
Where at Night the Wood Grouse Plays - Empyrium
Bergtatt - Ulver
Nightwork - Diabolical Masquerade
Förevigt Minusgrader - Istapp
Pulver - Lifelover
Death - Pierce Me - Silencer
Album number 2 and 5 by Shining
Ride the Lightning - Metallica
Sterbend - Dwelling Lifeness
The Dark Side of the Moon - Pink FLoyd
First four albums by Camel
Fallout - Slumber
City - Strapping Young Lad
Si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice and Fas - Ite, Maledicti, in Ignem Aeternum by Deathspell Omega (and theri EP Kenose)
Arntor - Windir
Solens Rötter - Vintersorg
Salvation - Funeral Mist
A Blaze in the Northern Sky - Darkthrone
The soundtrack to Final Fantasy VII, IX and X (also Kingdom Hearts)
The soundtrack to all the Metal Gear Solid games
Blackfield - Blackfield
Through Chasm, Caves And Titan Woods - Carpathian Forest
The Human Equation and Into the Electric Castle by Ayreon
The Silent Enigma - Anathema
Arise - Sepultura
The Call of the Wretched Sea - Ahab
Shades of... - Shape of Despair

These are the albums I REALLY like. There are probably a few more. But this will do for now...

There's lots of spine tingling moments for me in opeth, so i won't bother to name them all.

But some other moments in music that comes to mind:

Baraka - You know, the 90 minute no dialogue wide screen film that spans the globe to beautiful music? That soundtrack is amazing, mostly due to the appearence of several Dead Can Dance songs.

Dead Can Dance - there are a lot of chilling moments here, specifically i can think of Cantara (live version), host of seraphim, and some others. Lisa Gerrard has an incredible voice, she's the whole reason I think the Gladiator soundtrack is incredible. The songs Wheat and Elysium make me shiver everytime.

I can agree with previous post of moonsorrow, sigur ros, and explosions in the sky.

Some other bands that come to mind:
A lot of richard d. james / aphex twin's more ambient stuff, especially the two ambient works albums.

a lot of steve roach songs.

blackfield - blackfield

Riverside's 02 Panic Room

A ton of tangerine dream songs. I can't even begin to list these.
Many popol vuh songs. Man i really like this electronic ambient, new age, weird stuff?

I loove love love agalloch's ashes against the grain album. Not unlike the waves and our fortress is burning 3 give me chills everytime, especially the latter.

Mastodon - Pendulous Skin and Joseph Merrick
Katatonia - Quiet World
Radiohead - Bulletproof...I wish I was,Knives Out
Ulver - Perdition City,Lyckatropen Themes,Shadows of the Sun

..screw this for now