What are you listening to today?

I listened to Seventh Wonder's Mercy Falls album 5 times today, and it continues to get better with every listen. Out of all the concept albums that were released this year, it easily tops my list of the best of them all.

Next in line is Into Eternity - The Incurable Tragedy. Wicked album about a topic that affects all of us at some point. Time Immemorial = kick ass track.

Others with recent plays:

Darkwater - Calling the Earth to Witness
Opeth - Deliverance
Van Halen - Van Halen 1
Bloodbound - Nosferatu
Evergrey- Torn
Pyramaze - Melancholy Beast
Tad Morose - Matters of the Dark
Iced Earth - Minions At the Station (Station4/St. Paul, Minnesota bootleg Nov 13, 2008)

I just busted out (again) Brave New World wich was the start of Maidens more recent resurgent modern releases and one of thier best CDs IMO. Ghost Of The Navigator and Blood Brothers are amazing songs. Like it a bit better than D.O.D.

I also like 'Brave New World' a little better than 'D.O.D.' :)

Iron Maiden are definitely one of the best and most influental metal-bands around! I don't want to take away anything of their status, but to me they 'only' have written many great songs whereas there is no album where I do not skip one song at least - except for the Seventh Son...

Now I'll listen to 'The Sign Of The Cross', I love that song (also with Bayley on vocals)!

I also like 'Brave New World' a little better than 'D.O.D.' :)

Iron Maiden are definitely one of the best and most influental metal-bands around! I don't want to take away anything of their status, but to me they 'only' have written many great songs whereas there is no album where I do not skip one song at least - except for the Seventh Son...

Now I'll listen to 'The Sign Of The Cross', I love that song (also with Bayley on vocals)!

Hah hah... I can't listen to the original version, Bayley is just atrotious... With Dickinson on the mic though, it is easily one of their best tracks

I totally agree. Amazing song, but the original just annoys me. I can't stand Blaze's vocals on it. Sounds really awesome in Rock In Rio though :)
And Iron Maiden fucking rocks. Awesome band, I can't see how someone can not like them. And their new material is compltely underrated. Personally I think BNW is their best album ever, AMoLaD is amazing too, and DoD is also really good.

Anyway NP: Pyramaze - The Journey :kickass:
The song that really got me into Pyramaze, and totally holds a place in my heart :D

Hey, I never said that I do not like Iron Maiden, I've got 12 of their releases and they're one of my favorite bands! Steve Harris also was one of the 'reasons' I started playing bass instead of guitar. :) The only complaint I've got is that on every album I skip some songs because I consider them to weak... but I have to admit, on almost every album I own there's one weak song at least. One of the exemptions is Pyramaze (stongest debut I know and two amazing follow-ups), another one is 'Modus Vivendi' of Tad Morose...

Ok, now let's see if I can find a version of 'Sign Of The Cross' with Bruce on vocals. :headbang:

^
I can relate and will add to this.
As much as I love this band they do have songs that do nothing for me, repetative tones at times and some bad production. Hell, some albums I completely passed on. What they do have overall is a great body of work, longevity, influence, interesting egos and characters, phenominal live-act / presentation track record, great P.R., sales, promotion, management (almost overdone at times-eg. lets release another live cd with the same tracks again?)

for metal bands they are one of the all-time great acts...and at thier best when mastering the unique art of telling a story or painting a picture with thier music and lyrics..

^
good call.

I'm a big fan of Iuri Sanson (appears on Soulspell), and his band Hibria.
Hibria's debut "Defying The Rules" was killer. They are soon planning to release the long awaited follow-up called "The Skull Collectors".

not the greatest quality but a taste of Hibria's new stuff recently played live.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOvRS3JHAcs&feature=related[/ame]

from the debut...

Last edited by a moderator:
^
good call.

I'm a big fan of Iuri Sanson (appears on Soulspell), and his band Hibria.
Hibria's debut "Defying The Rules" was killer. They are soon planning to release the long awaited follow-up called "The Skull Collectors".

Nice tunes! :)

Silent Edge - Savage Symphony

Anyone else who listens to "Beyond Ear Candy" internet metal radio will have heard this song frequently. Neoclassical metal in the same vein as earlier Symphony X and Adagio. :kickass:

Mp3s for the album are incredibly hard to find though.

Rammstein - Reise, Reise - Moskau

Rammstein are great! To me, they're one of the most innovative bands around. Some may think they only want to provoke and go beyond the limits of good taste. But they have some really amazing songs with great - yet sometimes frightening - lyrics. 'Spieluhr' is a great dark poem... and 'Stein um Stein' creates such a gloomy atmosphere, I'm getting goosebumps everytime I dare listening to it - the lyrics are somewhat hard to take...

Right now I'm listening to 'Lost In Time' by Tad Morose - about the 10th time in a row by now. :) It's one of the old songs recorded before Urban joined. The whole song rules from the first to the last second, especially the drums are amazing... and the part at 0:53, so 'simple' and powerful! :kickass:

"Edguy - Tinnitus Sanctus" samples... And honestly, that's the way it stays...

I really think Tobias should step away from the mic, and offer Oliver Hartmann the position since the guy is doing backing vocals anyway. Tobi just sounds too strangled, raspy, annoying, squealy and tired now.

I couldn't stomach much of even what I heard so I'm in no position to speak for the entire album. Doesn't look like they've learned anything after "Rocket Ride" and Avantasia's "The Scarecrow" either cause it still sounds hard-rockish. The production sounds extremely dry too.

That's a shame too, because Edguy's "Theater of Salvation" was the second power metal album I've ever heard and ordered from the net, following Blind Guardian's "Somewhere Far Beyond."

How time changes things... :erk:

Equilibrium - Blut im Auge​

[ame]http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=Yom8nNqmxvQ[/ame]

One of the best songs on the Sagas album.​