What are you listening to?

Agreed. Animated videos always seem more interesting to me than performance videos. Come to think of it, most of my favorite music videos have been animated.

Wardruna.
Because they're doing the soundtrack in the second season of "Vikings", which turned out to be so damned good...

Finally giving in and watching the show again. The law and religion parts are dreadful, but the rest of it is entertaining. We like to think of it as Viking Age Sons of Anarchy.

Side note...my tattoo artist was the tour driver for the Misfits a few years back.

At least it was not Hollywood-ised. I mean - who would even dare suggesting human sacrifices? Twice? :D

Yeah, I know. But I took a lot of Norse history and religion classes and just keep thinking that the real thing is more interesting than the imaginary stuff they come up with. I do better if I watch it as if it is more of a Game of Thrones style Viking fantasy set in an alternate past.

It's my burden. :rolleyes::loco:

Side note...my tattoo artist was the tour driver for the Misfits a few years back.

I missed this part.
He must have some cool stories to share, but in all honesty, the "latest" Misfits album I've listened is American Psycho and bits and pieces of Famous Monsters. I don't know what happened with them and their line-up after that.

I'm not that big of a Misfits enthusiast, though, I just like to "crack open the bottle" from time to time. Earth A.D. is a peculiar album though. Quite genre-diverse, if I may say so.

Yeah, I know. But I took a lot of Norse history and religion classes and just keep thinking that the real thing is more interesting than the imaginary stuff they come up with. I do better if I watch it as if it is more of a Game of Thrones style Viking fantasy set in an alternate past.

It's my burden. :rolleyes::loco:

Oh, well, I am not that deep into the subject. - I've read my share of myths and sagas, did some extra reading on history of the region and stuff, but not that much. So I find it plausible enough.
But I've taken the Game of Thrones approach and I find Vikings a lot more enjoyable and interesting.

But this has been driving me completely crazy in the past several days. Powerful shit!
I sort of figured its meaning before I googled a translation of the lyrics.

I listened to their first album when it came out and found it intriguing enough, but Yggdrasil is so much better, imho.

Last edited by a moderator:
I grew up with classical music and still like it a lot in certain situations, for example when dealing with tricky sh*t at work and needing something for my nerves. A nice epic soundtrack will do as well, my eternal favorite being the complete LOTR score. (In other words, the reason why I like to refer to 10+ -hour projects like the one I'm currently working on as "trips to Mordor" is NOT that I associate the respective customer with Sauron. At least not in most cases.)

Classical es muy bueno, (though huge chunks of it are just as uninspiring as your average metal). Can't listen to all classical stations without getting bored by the early chamber orchestra stuff. I want my classical a little more adventurous. Either hit me with Bach in his heavy phase or some strange late Mozart or some jazzy, experimental late Romantic piece, etc.

But in the meantime I'm listening to Barren Earth - Curse of the Red River again and marveling at how good it is. Can't wait for new BE.

"Extance" from the Greek progressive black metal band Aenaon. Code666 have a knack for signing talented extreme prog bands (Ne Obliviscaris being the previous), this is a very solid record.

More of the same, but I don't mind. The video, however, is somewhat of a letdown for me - I had my expectations high, considering the visual bacchanalia Grupa 13 offer in the Behemoth videos.

Yeah, the Insomnium video really does nothing to distinguish itself from an Opeth or Katatonia video. I guess that's why the videographers always include some footage of the band...so you can tell them all apart. Otherwise it's all pretty goth women in creepy forests.

So, VHÖL is like the best band ever.

http://profoundlorerecords.bandcamp.com/album/vhol

Black, thrash, death, hardcore, haunting female wailing in the background, razor sharp riffs and vocals, lengthy songs that don't get boring, packed with that old school feeling and best of all - feels so natural, not forced at all - it's a vibrant new creation, not another "vest metalhead" copycat band. Plus, elite metal folks "behind the wheel".
Can't get better than this.